1850 Tournament army list, coming back to 40K

Cadres who fought and bled under 6th edition rules.
Shas'el Darklight
Shas

1850 Tournament army list, coming back to 40K

Post#1 » Feb 22 2014 06:46

Hi ATT,

This is my first post, so hope it conforms with all of the site rules.
I'm coming back to 40K and my Tau, after many years (Beginning of 2nd Ed Tau Codex).
What I have written so far is a 1850 point tournament list. I don't know much of my local meta yet, so I've geared it towards being a well balanced army list. My previous style of game play was Mech based, so this is what I've done here too.

I would really appreciate some input as to the synergy of the list and its composition.
I'm worried that I don't have enough markerlights for the size of the Cadre.

PRIMARY DETACHMENT

HQ - Shas'el Commander 145pts
1x Shas'el: Puretide Engram Neurochip, Command and Control Node, Multi-spectrum Sensor Suite, Neuroweb System Jammer and Drone Controller

Troops - Firewarriors 184pts
11x Firewarriors: Devilfish with Sensor Spines

Troops - Firewarriors 193pts
12x Firewarriors: Devilfish with Sensor Spines

Troops - Kroot 70pts
10x Kroot: Sniper Rounds

Fast Attack - Tetras 80pts
2x Tetras: Sensor Spines

Fast Attack - Piranhas 135pts
3x Piranhas: Sensor Spines

Heavy Support - Hammerhead 131pts
1x Hammerhead: Submunition Rounds, Smart Missile System and Blacksun Filter

Heavy Support - Hammerhead 175pts
1x Hammerhead: Submunition Rounds, Smart Missile System and Longstrike

Heavy Support - Broadsides 218pts
2x Broadsides: High Yield Missile Pods, Velocity Tracker and 2 Missile Drones each

SECONDARY ATTACHMENT

HQ - Ethereal 50pts
1x Ethereal

Elite - Riptide 220pts
1x Riptide: Ion Accelerator, Plasma Rifles, Early Warning Override and Earth Caste Pilot Array

Troops - Crisis Suits 169pts
(team is bonded)
1x Crisis: 2 individual Fusion Blasters
2x Crisis: 2 individual Fusion Blasters and Target Locks

The Ethereal will go with the 11 man Firewarrior, and the Commander will go with the Broadsides.
I really like the suggestions around the forums about using the Piranhas as a mobile screen for the Firewarriors and harassment unit.
I've got tetras in this list because I love the model, but I know of one tournament in my area that doesn't have allow Forge World models, so I'll swap these out with pathfinders and add a kroot or two.

Is it worth or necessary to have FE allies, or should I not both and just have one less troop choice?
Should I break the squad of three XV-8s down into three individuals, saving on target locks? *EDIT* Apologies, having re-read the FE Codex, I must have a unit of three to count as a troop.
Have I made any oversights or not catered for different types of enemies?

Thanks in advance for the advice and comments

Darklight

Rathstar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: 1850 Tournament army list, coming back to 40K

Post#2 » Mar 20 2014 03:49

Hi,

That's a good list and a good 1st post.

2 immediate things to point out is that the meta has shifted in 6th to be more infantry based due to vehicles becoming more fragile as they can be glanced to death by removing hull points. However high av vehicles and medium to high av skimmers are making a come back as they are still hard to kill, examples are wave serpents, hammerheads, devilfishes, necron av13 skimmers. You may not find you need the fusion crisis and maybe better served with missile crisis suits for the longer range, plus if the commander joined to give tank hunters they can be very good anti tank against anything below av13.

Next your Ethereal, even if he's the same race, can not go in an ally's transport. You'll either have to pay 11pts to make the firewarriors Enclaves or just keep them on foot. Maybe just troop the devilfish for another unit of kroot. Oh, and you should explicitly say the 1st detachment is Tau Empire and the 2nd detachment is Farsight Enclaves, I initially thought you were just allying Tau with Tau which is illegal.

I personally not a fan of the Batman (think utility belt) commander, but if you go down that route consider the 2+ save and T5 upgrade as it allows him to tank wounds for the unit he's joined. Also to make the best use of the MSS consider putting him with a unit that has low ap weapons, eg. either the riptide or a crisis suit unit decked out with dual plasma.

Rathstar

timb6ea
Shas

Post#3 » Mar 20 2014 05:16

I see you have a drone controller on your commander but the only drones in your list are the vehicular gun drones and the missile drones in your broadside team. The DC does not help with missile drones and if you would be running with the drones from that pirhana team your C2N/MSSS/PEN systems are overkill.
Will Flak'O for food.

Rawrgyle
Shas

Post#4 » Mar 20 2014 05:24

Just a couple of things I've noticed

Commander has a drone controller and you plan on putting him into the broadside squad.. Double check your codex, but missile drones do not get the ballistic skill increase from a drone controller. They do get the twin linked (which doesn't help your broadsides) and the ignore cover (which doesn't help the SMS) + PEN chip goodness though.

If the kroot are going to be used for outflanking, a kroot hound is a good choice to add if you can.

With the tetras and piranhas skimming about I like the inclusion of the hammerheads. Have you thought about using the Ion Cannon instead of railguns? Even with longstrike this could add a bit of firepower to your list with higher strength ap3 large blasts. Not to say that the railgun large blast is bad, just something to think about.

I would say that the role your crisis suits are filling are for deepstriking Anti AV14, and you only have one riptide in the list. Having farsight allies really are not required. This can easily be all fit into one force org, though you would loose the ECPA. But if the crisis suits are meant for deepstriking those armored targets, having them as troops may not help all that much as they will be shot up right after.

Shas'el Darklight
Shas

Post#5 » Mar 29 2014 04:03

Hi all and thanks for the replies.

I've taken into account you've all said and have changed the list to:

PRIMARY DETACHMENT - TAU EMPIRE

HQ - Shas'el Commander (aka BATMAN) 147pts
1x Shas'el: Puretide Engram Neurochip, Multi-spectrum Sensor Suite, Neuroweb System Jammer and Iridium Armour

Troops - Firewarriors 99pts
11x Firewarriors

Troops - Firewarriors 54pts
6x Firewarriors

Troops - Firewarriors 54pts
6x Firewarriors

Troops - Firewarriors 193pts
12x Firewarriors: Devilfish with Sensor Spines

Troops - Kroot 75pts
10x Kroot: Sniper Rounds
1x Kroot Hound

Fast Attack - Piranhas 135pts
3x Piranhas: Sensor Spines

Heavy Support - Hammerhead 131pts
1x Hammerhead: Submunition Rounds, Smart Missile System and Blacksun Filter

Heavy Support - Hammerhead 175pts
1x Hammerhead: Ion Cannon, Smart Missile System and Longstrike

Heavy Support - Broadsides 195pts
3x Broadsides: High Yield Missile Pods

SECONDARY ATTACHMENT - FARSIGHT ENCLAVES

HQ - Ethereal 50pts
1x Ethereal

Elite - Riptide 220pts
1x Riptide: Ion Accelerator, Plasma Rifles, Early Warning Override and Earth Caste Pilot Array

Troops - Crisis Suits 169pts
(team is bonded)
1x Crisis: 2 individual Fusion Blasters
2x Crisis: 2 individual Fusion Blasters and Target Locks

Although I can fit all of this into one force organization chart, the point is that I get another troops choice and the ECPA is a bonus.
I've got here that the crisis suits are equipped with fusion blasters, but these can by swapped for missile launchers or plasma rifles, or blast cannons and add a few fire warriors.
I love the idea of Longstrike with an Ion Cannon. His special rule helps to negate the lower strength of the IC and supporting fire is just insane.

Now I've got a list I'm reasonably happy with I can start modelling and painting it up, to start play testing. I'll make a new thread with some painted models soon, I'd really appreciate some feedback.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Cheers

Return to “Archival Datacore - 6th Edition”