New to Tau -850pt Cities of Death army list

Cadres who fought and bled under 6th edition rules.
dark_knight
Shas

New to Tau -850pt Cities of Death army list

Post#1 » Mar 24 2014 01:33

Hello all at ATT,

I'm new to Tau but am returning to 40K after many moons in the gaming wilderness - mainly RPG and other tabletop stuff. In an effort to learn the Tau ropes I've joined a City fight campaign at my local GW store - 850pt army list, so with the fact that I'm new to Tau and my 40K based grey cells are rusty here's my army list in its first draft. Any advice/comments/changes etc etc are very welcome.

HQ -Commander 162pts
Flamer, Plasma Rifle, Shield generator, drone controller, 2x gun drones

Troops - Fire warriors 70pts
5x FW, Shas'ui, 1x Pulse Carbine, Bonding Knife Ritual

Troops - Fire Warriors 70pts
5x FW, Shas'ui, 1x Pulse Carbine, Bonding knife ritual

Elites - XV8 Crisis Suits 159pts
2x crisis suits, Shas'vre, 3x twin linked Plasma rifles, marker drone, Shas'vre drone controller, bonding knife ritual

Elites - Stealth Suits 137pts
Shas'vre , 1 fusion blaster, Shas'vre target lock, 2x marker drones, bonding knife ritual

Fast Attack- Piranha 76pts
2x Seeker missiles, sensor spines, disruption pod

Fast Attack - Piranha 86pts
fusion blaster, sensor spines, disruption pod, 2x seeker missiles

Heavy Support XV88 Broadside 90pts
Shield Generator

Total - 850pts

My plan with this list is to create a mobile force of suits backed up with a light firing line of FW. The Piranhas are there to add a rapid response force to counter any armour that comes my way and to back up the single XV88 Broadside lurking at the back, this mobility combined with the marker drones and seeker missiles should enable me to cause problems for any walkers/ tanks I'm faced with.

Again thanks for reading my list and any advice/ pointers is very much welcomed.

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Re: New to Tau -850pt Cities of Death army list

Post#2 » Mar 24 2014 03:27

Welcome to ATT dark_knight.

As it stands your post is lacking in some substance. With Advanced Tau Tactica's apprehensive history towards Army List posts, we expect more detail and explanation to allow in-depth critique that is specific to your own context. Please expand upon:
- The method with which you intend to achieve your intent (your playstyle).
- Any preferences or limitations for how you could alter your list such as do you own any other models?

Doing these things will allow members to critique you without risk of making suggestions which are moot for reasons you did not share, as well as increasing the value of the criticism you receive.

Please make sure to read through all of the Stickies and Announcements in the Cadre Building Section before revising your post.
Cadre Building Best Practice,
A Guide to List-Building,
How To Post An Army List,
List Style Guide.

Also I notice that you are yet to complete a Member Profile.

Support Drone wrote:Post a little about yourself, so we can all get to know you better, and therefore better understand your crazy new ideas. These profiles are great for getting to know each other, and even meeting people from both your area and around the world. It is also easier to remember who you are when we have some basic info on you.

So follow these simple steps;

1) Create a new topic, with your username as the subject.
2) Cut and paste the sample profile template (below) and fill it in.
3) Answer whatever questions you like, and even make up your own questions. The template is the general set. However, please note that the question "Have you reviewed the ATT Membership & Forum Rules?" MUST be answered.
4) Don't give *too* much information about your personal situation (ie street address, PIN numbers etc)

That's it! You can come back and update it whenever you like.

dark_knight
Shas

Post#3 » Mar 25 2014 12:58

As it stands your post is lacking in some substance. With Advanced Tau Tactica's apprehensive history towards Army List posts, we expect more detail and explanation to allow in-depth critique that is specific to your own context. Please expand upon:
- The method with which you intend to achieve your intent (your playstyle).
- Any preferences or limitations for how you could alter your list such as do you own any other models?

My play style hasn't really had a chance to develop mainly due to lack of games, but I did create the list with the intent to create a mobile reactive force. The 2 FW squads where going to hold the centre and tie down other infantry units with the pulse rifle range - may be a prob due to ruins reducing range. The stealth suits are to lurk through other ruins/flanks and flush any enemy infantry out into the open. The crisis suits are too be used as mobile anti armour/big guy type thing with their twin linked plasma rifles ( not sure if that the best choice but did make sense at the time).

The 2 Piranhas are an extra layer on fast reactive anti big guy - both with the seeker missiles and the other with its fusion blaster. Also as they both have sensor spines they should be able to move around with some added degree of freedom to cause as much problems to the enemy as poss.

I'm not overly sure about the Broadside choice - 1 seems more of a token effort than I real game changer. I'm really hoping that the sight of the twin linked rail guns will distract my opponent and allow the other anti armour/marker lights and seeker missiles to do the dirty work.

The models chosen aren't the end of my collection - thank you ebay :biggrin: - I was tempted to add either a Hammerhead or Devil fish transport, but I decided against it due to the possible limitation of use in a city fight with no real long range opening (or at least not many) for the Hammer head but it could possibly serve as a better distraction than the lone Broadside suit. As too more stealth suits -another possibility I discounted this time mainly due to lack of points left.

Ell'ran
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#4 » Mar 25 2014 09:05

Instead of assuming that you will be able to "flush a unit out of cover" (gotta remember that you are playing against one person, not an actual army of people), you should probably use Markerlights to simulate that effect and strip their cover from them. Fortunately, Markerlights can be placed inside almost any unit, but Stealth Suits arguably get the best deal on them via the Shas'vre.

dark_knight
Shas

Post#5 » Mar 26 2014 12:54

Cheers for that, I'll have a tinker and see what I can do about maybe adding a few more marker lights, 3 does seem a bit light ( pardon the bad pun).

Return to “Archival Datacore - 6th Edition”