Farsight with Tau allies 1850 - FLGS list

Cadres who fought and bled under 6th edition rules.
Gunko
Shas

Farsight with Tau allies 1850 - FLGS list

Post#1 » Mar 28 2014 02:27

Lately I've been coming across other tau lists as well as Nids and SM chapters
I've wanted a Farsight suit list but I still like some of the regular Tau signature systems

Farsight Enclaves (Primary Detachment) Selections:
HQ (319pts)
Commander Farsight (165pts)
Independent Character
Plasma rifle, Shield generator, The Dawn Blade
Farsight's Commander Team
Sub-commander Torchstar (154pts)
Independent Character
Drone controller, 2x Flamer, Multi-spectrum Sensor Suite, Neuroweb System Jammer, Target lock
2x Marker Drone

Elites (485pts)
XV104 Riptide (275pts)
Heavy burst cannon, Twin-linked smart missile system, Early warning override, Earth Caste Pilot Array, Stimulant injector, Talisman of Arthas Moloch
XV104 Riptide (210pts)
Ion accelerator, Twin-linked fusion blaster, Early warning override, Velocity tracker

Troops (468pts)
XV8 Crisis Team (174pts)
Bonding Knife Ritual
3x Crisis Shas'ui Missile pod, Twin-linked missile pod
XV8 Crisis Team (53pts)
Bonding Knife Ritual
Crisis Shas'ui 2x Fusion blaster
XV8 Crisis Team (53pts)
Bonding Knife Ritual
Crisis Shas'ui 2x Fusion blaster
XV8 Crisis Team (compulsory) (188pts)
Bonding Knife Ritual
2x Crisis Shas'ui 2x Plasma rifle
1x Crisis Shas'ui 2x Plasma rifle, Vectored retro-thrusters
2x Shield Drone

Codex: Tau Empire (Allied Detachment) Selections:
HQ (172pts)
Commander (172pts)
Independent Character
Command and Control Node, 2x Flamer, Multi-spectrum Sensor Suite, Neuroweb System Jammer, Puretide Engram Neurochip, Shield generator

Troops (54pts)
Fire Warrior Team (54pts)
6x Fire Warrior Shas'la with pulse rifle, Photon grenades

Fast Attack (55pts)
Pathfinder Team (55pts)
5x Pathfinder Shas'la Pulse carbine with Markerlight, Photon grenades, Scouts

Heavy Support (297pts)
XV88 Broadside Team (297pts)
3x Broadside Shas'ui, Target lock, Twin-linked heavy rail rifle, Twin-linked plasma rifle
4x Marker Drone
2x Shield Drone

Farsight and Tau Commander will join with the Plasma suit crisis team, possibly deep striking in depending on what I'm up against. There job is to take out non armor units at a time. Keeping Farsight in front and commander in back or between other units to LoS incoming shots. VRT on a crisis and with Farsight's higher initiative to get out of combat after opponent's turn so they can shoot again and not get tarpitted.

Torchstar will be with the Broadsides, with her drone controller she can have the marker drones light up targets. The Broadsides with TL can shoot other units as needed. Torchstar can be in front and have LoS rolls to have shield drones or broadsides take wounds as needed. Deployment around 37-40 inches from targets, that way drones and move and mark then jetpack move back. As things get closer or farther away broadsides can move as well and still shoot plasma at full BS.

Missile Crisis team will be long range JSJ try to out of range if possible or push forward with farsight's team

2 Fusion Monats to deep strike and blow up armor and contest objectives in the backfield

FW's can walk in from reserve to hold objective later in the game

Pathfinders to marketlight from cover, I thought of dropping these and taking more marker drones with the missile crisis but then I'd also need a drone controller to get back to pathfinder BS and target locks to shoot something other than what I'm marking.

HBC Riptide will take anything coming close via ground, trying to stay 12 inch from broadsides and crisis units if offensive psykers are around
IA Riptide will blow up long range units or try to take out a flyer

I only have 1 unit with skyfire, most Tau I face don't bring any flyers. Only 1 SM opponent brought one and at that point I count spare shooting units at it at BS1 so it wasn't a huge issue
Another option is to drop the HBC and just run 2 IA riptides

Let me know what you guys think

Rawrgyle
Shas

Re: Farsight with Tau allies 1850 - FLGS list

Post#2 » Mar 29 2014 01:18

Overall I like it. Very suit heavy, which isn't bad, I do think there are some tweaks that can easily be done though.

First off I'd switch to HYMP broadsides, the railguns I don't think will help you much with the two teams - 4 suits - of fusion plus the riptides.

The other major thing is the velocity tracker. Here is a copy paste that I posted on another site that might help show why:

BS3 options with skyfire: AV12 (before Jink)

Iontide = str7 AP2 x3 = 1.5 hits, .5 HP lost
broadisde = str7 AP4 x4 = 3 hits, 1 HP lost
MP/MP crisis suit = str7 ap4 x4 = 2 hits, 2/3 HP lost
Skyray = awesomesauce
BurstTide (regular) str6 ap4 x8 = 4 hits 2/3 HP lost
BurstTide (nova) str6 ap4 x12= 6 hits, 1 PEN
Quad gun str7 AP4 x4 = 3hits, 1HP lost

BS 5 Quad gun = 4hits (*assuming), 1 and 1/3rd HP lost

just saying Aun'Va is saddened everytime a commander puts skyfire on a iontide. They are much better suited to anti infantry roles. EWO = good great, don't deepstrike terminators anywhere I can see them, VT = not a good choice on them, compared to any other option listed. Note the broadside up there is just a single broadside.

broadside x3 without skyfire: 12 shots = 3 and 2/3 hits, 1.22222whatever fraction that is, of a HP lost.

STILL BETTER THAN AN IONTIDE.

just saying

EDIT: Also you can get into the psycology of forceing your opponent to Jink and just look at the number of hits. Once again the iontide is not that great IF we look at more hits = more likely to cause a jink.

I'd say at the very least switch the stim injectors and the velocity tracker, this will help you against flying MCs also.

Maybe a more enclave list would be:

well never mind actually, just wrote out a list and I think it came out worse .. LOL!

On to some other thoughts then... To take pressure off of your suits I would run the HBC burstide up close to the enemy (watching for charge distances of course!) It can easily be a distraction that takes some shots away from them so maybe switch the tailsman over to one of the Iontides if you plan to keep them as base defense.

My only other suggestion would be to get more marker drones instead of the pathfinder team really. Make your Empire commander to go with the Missile pod crisis team and give them some marker drones.

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#3 » Mar 29 2014 03:45

If the iontide only had an IA then I would agree that the velocity trackers are in the wrong place - but I think it is all about the skyfire fusion blasters. The only flyer that does not have a terror of skyfire melta weapons is the stormraven, everything else will do what it can to stay over 15" away which cuts down their freedom of movement a lot and hence how much damage they can do.

On any turn that a flyer does come close the riptide should attempt to nova boost the fusion blasters; move into 9" range and shoot for penetrating hits. For bonus points if the TE commander is with this riptide then the flyer really needs the dice gods on its side, a useful change of deployment against flyer heavy opponents.

I noticed that the list has 2 MSSS, you might want to check with your FLGS that they are OK with this.

Gunko
Shas

Post#4 » Mar 31 2014 09:26

I figured that if I was going to have only 1 model with skyfire it would be a riptide. I could drop the HBC tide and make him an iontide, drop FnP for VT to have 2 similarly kitted riptides.
That should give me more low AP shots to change the broadsides over to HYMP and SMS. Then I could drop torchstar though I'd lose the higher BS for the drones.

I'll definitely ask around my area on how they rule the 2 MSSS option

CariadocThorne
Shas

Post#5 » Mar 31 2014 10:21

Why not put the vt on the burst-tide, it's much better at taking down flyers, especially when nova'd.

Rawrgyle
Shas

Post#6 » Mar 31 2014 01:44

CariadocThorne wrote:Why not put the vt on the burst-tide, it's much better at taking down flyers, especially when nova'd.

Specificly FMC!

With the changes you are thinking about I believe you are really starting to go overboard on the low AP weapons and may not have the "weight of fire" to bring down numbers of models. I know you have the broadsides, and some MP/MP crisis, but unless you are playing against grey knights a lot any infantry heavy list would be tough to take down.

I think the HBC adds in that department.

Especialy against those pesky xenos scum floating about!

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#7 » Mar 31 2014 02:05

Your strategies will avail you nought. You will be crushed by the righteous forces of the Imperium foul xenos creatures.

por'el vior'la Kais

Post#8 » Apr 01 2014 06:05

is this some kind of aprils fools?

Gunko
Shas

Post#9 » Apr 02 2014 01:29

I played a game with the above list, unchanged at all just to get a sense of how it will play. I wont go into full batrep descriptions of each turn

My opponent played an Imperial Fist with Dark Angel allies SM list
Lysander with 5 terminators (Thunder hammers and storm shields)
3 drop pods - 2 with 5 man tactical squads each, 1 with ironclad dreadnought
2 stormtalons
Thunderfire cannon
2 units of 5 man scouts
Librarian attached to 3 grav centurians

Dawn of war deployment
3 objectives, middle of map and one in each deployment zone, no night fighting
Tau went first, SM failed to steal initiative

Turn one I destroyed 2 of the centurians with most of the tau fire and the thunderfire cannon (techmarine survived) from the missile pod crisis unit
He deep struck 2 pods, the dread and one of the tactical squads, he flamed my broadside/marker drone unit but since I had Torchstar in front she was able to absorb or LoS the wounds. I only lost 1 marker drone and Torchstar took 3 wounds herself. (my worst rolling of the game)
HBC riptide wiped out all but 1 of the tactical squad marines thanks to EWO and the nova charged HBC
I outranged his centurians this turn.

Turn 2 my 2 fusion monats came in as well as my FW's
Fusions both landed in melta range of the dread, marker drones lit it up
I also did one more wound to the centurian squad
His 2nd brought in Lysanders unit and the other drop pod of marines, also one of the stormtalons
He did 3 wounds to my missile crisis unit and did one wound to HBC riptide (3++ invuln against the grav cannon)

Turn 3, I got in farsights unit, since he doesnt scatter he dropped right behind the terminators, broadside, IA riptide, and farsights unit wiped them all out
Missile Crisis and FWs killed the other tactical marines, HBC tide finished off the centurian and librarian unit
Opponent played his round 3 but failed to do anything, conceded after round 3

Out ranging the grav centurians was key, the only unit I let get in range was the HBC riptide when I had the 3++ invuln up. I got lucky taking out the thunderfire cannon in round 1. Even rolling poorly against the flamer attacks I still only lost 1 drone on the broadside unit.
I was lucky that he failed quite of a few of his reserve rolls on turn 2.

I'd like to get a few more games in before tweaking the list, I'll have to play my CSM friend who likes to use helldrakes to see how well I fare against baleflamers...

Rawrgyle
Shas

Post#10 » Apr 02 2014 10:33

Gunko wrote:My opponent played an Imperial Fist with Dark Angel allies SM list
Lysander with 5 terminators (Thunder hammers and storm shields)
3 drop pods - 2 with 5 man tactical squads each, 1 with ironclad dreadnought
2 stormtalons
Thunderfire cannon
2 units of 5 man scouts
Librarian attached to 3 grav centurians

CSM with heldrakes good to run up against, great test for any battlesuit list.

Still think you need to test a heavier infantry list, and I'm not talking horde. Though I think you won't fare well against horde, even just some numbers may give you a problem, I THINK.

above you had 10 marines, 10 scouts, 5 termis mixed in with the various other things... something your list can deal with, but what about 40 marines in rhinos and 12 bikers + some support, how well would you fare against that?

Gunko
Shas

Post#11 » Apr 03 2014 07:56

I agree, this game was one sided from the start, once I took out his thunderfire cannon all I had to do was out range his centurians and keep focusing his big threat unit at the time.

I'll see if I can get some more games in against different opponents.

Return to “Archival Datacore - 6th Edition”