Competitive 1850pt Farsight Taudar

Cadres who fought and bled under 6th edition rules.
Minigiant
Shas

Competitive 1850pt Farsight Taudar

Post#1 » Apr 09 2014 04:15

Hello everyone

I have not posted here in a while been busy but i do owe a belated thank you to everyone who helped me with my previous list. It has proved itself to be successful after a view reviews and fine tuning but now i am looking at taking the hero of old to the board; Farsight.

It is an 1850 army list coming in at 3 points short of the limit and is intended for top tier competitive play. My Meta and definition of top tier competitive play, is that of army lists that are capable of winning adepticon with a bit of dice luck and being piloted correctly. The main opponents to this list will be most likely be one of the space marine variants; whether it is the Token helldrake or the robust Iron hands. The Two best players in our group are still playing the same armies that they were when they were released and that is a Wraithwing list with Dark Eldar allies and the other is a Tyranid army with a collection so huge i could never predict what he will bring.

The Game plan is simple, O'Vesa and a Riptide join together to form my front line which is flanked by the remaining Riptide on one side and will be supported by Farsight and Warp Spiders precisely deep striking where they are needed most. Behind them will be my 3 Deathrain suits clearing 'Chaff' and the Skyrays markerlighting anything that could be helpful or blowing up Vehicles/Fliers. The Mantleseer flies around in between all this buffing whatever is necessary. The Jetbikes are last turn objectives takers/contestors. The Kroot and two lone suits fill a flexibility role. The Kroot can outflank successfully thanks to the hound if the objectives are on my opponents side of the board or can use their sniper rounds to their full potential and start causing this influx of monstrous creatures problems. The Suits can run flank protection or can deep strike and clear objectives (That are usually held by soft troops in my case e.g cultists or like me Kroot).

The Current Army List:

HQ - Commander Farsight: 165 Points
The Warlord. Joins the Eldar Warp Spiders in Reserve to precisely deep strike them where they need to be. Also adds a combat element to my army. I currently find combat the safest place for a Warlord because the game is more based on the shooting phase.

HQ - O'Vesa: 305 Points
XV104 Riptide Battlesuit; Twin Linked Fusion Blaster; Ion Accelerator; Two Shielded Missile Drone; Blacksun Filter; Multi-Tracker; Riptide Shield Generator; Early Warning Override; Stimulant Injector; Earth Caste Pilot Array Two

ELITES - XV104 Riptide: 260 Points
Target Lock; Ion accelerator; TL Fusion blasters; Velocity tracker; 2 Shielded Missile Drones
These two join together to form a solid front line and maximise any buffs the Farseer may send their way

ELITES - XV104 Riptide: 210 Points
Early Warning Override; Ion accelerator; TL Fusion blasters
The Wing man, the Fusion blasters don't complement the Ion accelerator but they do, do the job of keeping my opponents vehicles pinned back. The Velocity tracker produces a massive no fly zone for my opponents on the turn they arrive and an even larger no fly zone on my turn.

TROOPS – Kroot Carnivore Squad: 75 Points
10 Kroot; 1 Kroot Hound; Sniper Rounds
Depending on opponent and mission either they will outflank to try take an opponents objective or sit back and thin my opponents MC with their sniper rounds

TROOPS – Crisis Team: 159 Points
3 Crisis Suits; Dual Missile pods; Bonding Knife Ritual
Find themselves in the middle ground between the Riptides and Farsight upfront and the support units like the Skyray. They are here to kill chaff and i classify chaff as light vehicles or heavy troops. Can operate pretty independently thanks to twin-linked.

TROOPS – Crisis Team: 33 Points
1 Crisis Suit; Dual flamers; Bonding Knife Ritual
TROOPS – Crisis Team: 33 Points
1 Crisis Suit; Dual flamers; Bonding Knife Ritual
Objectives Holders/Contestors/Clearers or Flank Protectors. They will fill one of those roles

HEAVY SUPPORT - Skyray: 116 Points
TL Smart Missile System; Blacksun filter
HEAVY SUPPORT - Skyray: 116 Points
TL Smart Missile System; Blacksun filter
Always Performed beyond expectations. Once the seekers had done their work destroying armour wherever it maybe, it started taking the workload off the Farseer by marking targets or it would start by marking targets saving those missiles for when the opponents air cav came in

HQ - Farseer: 175 Points
Jetbike; Shard of Anaris; Singing Spear; Runes of Witnessing
The buffer, will generally have Guide and Prescience unless a great spell gets rolled for. Joins the Riptide bomb to confer fearless

TROOPS – 3 Jetbikes: 51 Points
Last turn objective grabbers/contestors

FAST ATTACK - 8 Warp Spiders: 152 Points
Probably the best unit Farsight can join that maximises both of their strengths.

So there we have it 1848/1850pt Tau army. Overall what do you think? Its been working pretty well for me, in an ideal world i wanted a Piranha or two but unfortunately we cant have everything.
Last edited by Minigiant on Apr 10 2014 03:57, edited 6 times in total.

CariadocThorne
Shas

Re: Competitive 1850pt Farsight Taudar

Post#2 » Apr 09 2014 04:35

No tl on the riptide? You want both riptides firing at the same target? Doesn't work for me at all, seems like a waste of firepower.

Personally I'd want more markerlights, and some anti-horde, but you may not need it in your meta.

I do like the farsight/ warp spiders combo though.

Minigiant
Shas

Post#3 » Apr 09 2014 04:39

CariadocThorne wrote:No tl on the riptide? You want both riptides firing at the same target? Doesn't work for me at all, seems like a waste of firepower.

There is a target lock on the Riptide.....

Minigiant wrote:HQ - O'Vesa: 305 Points
Target Lock; Ion accelerator; TL Fusion blasters; Velocity tracker; 2 Shielded Missile Drones
These two join together to form a solid front line and maximise any buffs the Farseer may send their way

jade_angel
Shas

Post#4 » Apr 09 2014 04:56

The only thing that comes to mind is maybe dropping a Warp Spider or two to free up enough points to convert those TL missile pods on the XV8s to dual - the probability of two hits is the same as TL, and you can get four. But then, I tend to prefer taking dual weapons over twin-linked, and I find the missiles to be versatile enough that I always want more shots.

I suppose I'd have to mathhammer out the expected returns of more missile shots versus more Spiders.

Minigiant
Shas

Post#5 » Apr 09 2014 05:35

jade_angel wrote:The only thing that comes to mind is maybe dropping a Warp Spider or two to free up enough points to convert those TL missile pods on the XV8s to dual - the probability of two hits is the same as TL, and you can get four. But then, I tend to prefer taking dual weapons over twin-linked, and I find the missiles to be versatile enough that I always want more shots.

I suppose I'd have to mathhammer out the expected returns of more missile shots versus more Spiders.

I like that idea, working on it as we speak

Edit: Done; list updated

CariadocThorne
Shas

Post#6 » Apr 09 2014 06:22

Minigiant wrote:
CariadocThorne wrote:No tl on the riptide? You want both riptides firing at the same target? Doesn't work for me at all, seems like a waste of firepower.

There is a target lock on the Riptide.....

Minigiant wrote:HQ - O'Vesa: 305 Points

:roll: Well, in my defence, the original post doesn't have it highlighted in red like that. Would have made it much easier to spot :D

Minigiant
Shas

Post#7 » Apr 10 2014 09:12

The list has received a small update. I have dropped the Mantle of the laughing god and got the Shard of Anaris on my Farseer

Minigiant
Shas

Post#8 » Apr 12 2014 05:46

So i wrote up my theory behind the list

Okay, so what are we looking at here?

The general premise of the list is pretty similar to the Standard O’Vesa bomb or deathstar if you will. You have a deathstar consisting of:
• O’vesa w/ 2 shielded missile drones
• Ion Riptide w/ 2 shielded missile drones
• Eldar Farseer w/ Shard of Anaris

Now usually the bomb consists of Farsight and a buff commander and this is where it fundamentally alters the list; improves it in my opinion. Now the reasons why these two are not included is for a few reasons. Number one is that Farsights uses are not being fully utilised in the deathstar, his gun is overkill, he wants combat and wants to deep strike and you want your anvil on the board. The second reason is that an Eldar Farseer is able to fill both roles to a degree and that opens up Jetbikes over more (Insert Tau troop here); which are considered the worse competitive troops possible. The biggest strength of the O’Vesa bomb has always been its durability and that has not been lost. Between O’vesa, the Riptide and their Drones, the unit becomes majority toughness 6 with a 2+ armour save on O’vesa, who often is sitting in the front. The reason O’vesa sits in front is that with Earth Cast Pilot, you are able to re-roll your NOVA charge, making it much more reliable in getting your 3+ invulnerable save. Along with that, O’vesa has Feels No Pain and possesses the ability to look-out-sir whenever it is really needed. The goal of this deathstar is to get into the middle of the table and take control. This unit, very durable and still able to pack a punch, quickly becomes an intimidating presence from that point and easily dictates the play style of your opponents. While all of this is going on, your other Riptide and Farsight with his Warp Spiders are either being aggressive by putting pressure onto an opponent’s weak flanks or defending my weak side.

Here’s how the list is mighty …

They say that the best defense is a good offense, and this Death Star certainly doesn’t lack in firepower. The Shard Seer increases the killing power by providing all manners of buff. Now it is not as reliable as a Buff commander but having a Farseer opens up a more reliable way of grabbing objectives, JETBIKES! One of the problems that a Death Star tends to have is that it can often “overkill” a target since everyone has to shoot at the same thing; that isn’t that case here because the Ion Tide has Target Lock, allowing it to hunt something else when needed.

A surprising thing about the unit is actually the close combat impact that it has. I know―’Tau’ and ‘close combat’ are normally only words put together in a negative sense. But this Death Star can often prove that statement false. You have two Riptides which, on the charge, can put out three strength 10 smash attacks each. The unit also comes with Fearlessness thanks to the Shard of Anaris, another victory over the Buff commander. Farsight is also able to join any assault thanks to his precise Deep striking with his Spiders and he brings five attacks at weapon skill 5 str5 ap2.

… and here’s where the list gets a tad shaky

As much as I would like to say that this army is perfect and doesn’t have a weakness, I can’t. However, its weakness is not as bad as that of a ‘Standard’ O’Vesa star. Its weakness, Tau’s weakness is Troops. Now the standard list is either loads of lone crisis suits or a Kroot party. The problem with the crisis suit is this t4 2-wound model wouldn’t ever be mistaken as durable. Anyone who has ever played Marines knows that a 3+ armor save is only so reliable but they can easily hide. The problem with the Kroot is that they are comparatively large units that are near impossible to hide. With units being able to hide my opponents only option is to sink shots into my durable Anvil no matter our fruitless this endeavour maybe.

This brings up the second weakness of the list; it falls somewhat in line with the first. This is the lack of the ability to control when my reserves would come in. Since the troops are so fragile, it can get very ugly very quickly if all of them happen to come in on turn two, and now protecting them becomes even more of a priority.
Now this is where the Eldar alliance comes in and improves on what would be the usual list. 3 man Jetbike units are probably the best objective grabbers/contestors in the game thanks to their speed and small footprint. Now this list only has one but it brings diversity. Before with all troops coming on the board edge 6” they were limited to where they can hide, now this unit can move further forward to leave space behind, the Kroot can also outflank and the suits can deep strike. A variety of angles my troops can approach the enemy and I promise they cannot cover all of them.

There we have it, I hope you enjoyed my theory behind why the O’Vesa bomb is better with Eldar allies than with Tau Empire. I hope this post sparks some conversation.
Sorry for any grammatical errors, I was writing this is a rush

Kindrin
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Apr 13 2014 08:46

i was discussing the Farsight/warp spiders unit with a friend who plays Eldar. He pointed out that the combo is fairly redundant as the warp spiders can run and shoot in the shooting phase if they scatter off target. He also wasn't overly enthusiastic about their assault abilities if that's what they'd be used for in subsequent turns.

Minigiant
Shas

Post#10 » Apr 29 2014 02:26

So I am considering downgrading my Ion accelerator on my Riptide that partners O'Vesa back to a Heavy Burst Cannon to help me deal with Hordes, what do people think? Do I have enough Anti-horde as is or would i be loosing to much BIG firepower from not having the 3rd Ion accelerator?

jade_angel
Shas

Post#11 » Apr 29 2014 10:03

Well, ordinarily I do take an HBC (I run two Riptides, one with HBC, one with IA), and I think it'd work well in this case, but you otherwise lack AP1/AP2 fire for cracking TEQs. Don't forget that the overcharged profile on the IA is effective on hordes, too.

So, I think it could go either way. The HBC's nova-charged rending can be nice against heavily armored targets, too. That said, if you do that, I'd consider taking the Stimulant Injector and/or ECPA (if it's legal to have one in addition to O'Vesa, I can't recall the verdict on that) with it, because Gets Hot on that many shots can be annoying. Yes, you get 2+ armor saves on those, but given enough of them you'll surely muff a few. Also, the SI helps with nova reactor failures, and with the HBC it'll be more important to use the nova-charge than with the IA unless your opponent is bringing a pile of tanks.

Carrelio
Shas

Post#12 » Apr 29 2014 02:01

One thing I've actually heard from competitive players using a list similar to this is that they felt they were lacking in... well... stuff that wasn't riptides. In most cases they discussed how the riptide deathstar was good, but it was a lot of points in 2 (and a buffmander) expensive models which lowered the tactical flexibility of the list... I'd assume 3 pushes this even further and I might even suggest swapping the third out. One idea that recurred a lot when I was talking to competitive players about this list is that a larger diversity of smaller units, especially scoring ones might have helped them place higher in the end; more kroot might have been helpful for their bulk of cheap sniper weapons and flexible deployment strategies, while the others cited more battlesuits for their flexibility and maneuverability (also scoring is nice). It's just a thought though, riptides have proven time and time again to be he top tier Tau option...

Return to “Archival Datacore - 6th Edition”