please help with 1850 competitive list!!!!!

Cadres who fought and bled under 6th edition rules.
inquisitonfriendly
Shas

please help with 1850 competitive list!!!!!

Post#1 » Apr 22 2014 12:26

need help building a 1850 tournament list to be very competitive..... i have plenty of models to choose from just cant seem to get a good combo together. any help or advice would be very helpful. this is what i have as of now to choose from in my army....

1 commander - plasma rifle and missile pod
1 cadre fireblade
15 crisis suits all with interchangeable weapons
a bunch of stealth suits
3 devil fish
3 hammer heads or sky ray's
1 riptide with ion cannon
3 broadsides with rail guns and missiles
3 squads of pathfinders all with interchangeable weapons
60 kroot
4 kroot hounds
4 full squads of fire warriors all with rifles
3 piranhas 2 with fusion blasters 1 interchangeable
1 sniper drone team
a whole bunch of different drones

i have tried many different combos but just cant seem to find something that works and causes fear in opponents. i could really use the help as i have only played with my tau for about 5 months. look forward to hearing some awesome advice.

Carrelio
Shas

Re: please help with 1850 competitive list!!!!!

Post#2 » Apr 22 2014 01:18

So... I can't build your list for you. I can't even build a list that wins every match for me and makes people afraid for myself, so I'm not going to promise you anything either. Also, unless things have very much changed around ATT since I last read the primers this style of thread isn't well received because it doesn't actually add anything to the forum. It doesn't get people thinking about their own lists, nor does it provide interesting new points of view; it just asks someone to construct something using a certain pool or resources (don't get me wrong... building stuff from finite resources is one of my favourite games... it's just not the typical thing ATT endorses). With that said, here are some pointers I have gleaned from competitive play and talking with other competitive Tau players.

The Support'O - If someone fields a Shas'O without weapons on him, seasoned players know they are in for a harder battle. It means he is packing a C&C node and a MSS and he's going to grant whatever unit he is with rerolls to hit and negates cover.

Riptides - I rarely see competitive lists without riptides. I say riptides not riptide because 40k demands redundancy. One will likely be shot to pieces and die (a good distraction for a turn or two if that's what you're looking for)... but two will make things nasty for your opponent. I know from personal experience that a pair of riptides is just gross.

Farsight Supplement allies - what is better than battlesuits? Battlesuits as troops (note: all battlesuit armies are not super competitive, a mix of troop types works much better). The more rules you have the more rules you can abuse, so adding in a whole other mini-codex is worth considering (especially when that mini codex has an independent character riptide... who could... say... join another riptide... and then maybe... I don't know... be joined by the Support'O to create a unit that fires a pair of of rerollable ignores cover S8 large blast templates? Nooo... that would be crazy. Note: it works, but consensus among most of the tournament Tau players was that the unit was just a tad lackluster and that more troops would have served the army better than an IC riptide).

Combos combos combos - Tau is all about creating a synthesis of overlapping firepower. The units I am listing above are typically ones you see in competitive lists, but they can only work if the rest of the army fills the gaps and everything fills its roles to bring together something that is much greater than the sum of its parts. Whatever you go with ask yourself "if I pick this what do I need to make sure the army as a whole can take on any threat?" It's tempting to spam a single good unit (like the early days of Tau and the 3+ riptides), but those lists didn't stay in the competitive scene for long for a reason; they lacked the stuff that holds Tau all together. Almost everything in our book can work and can be scary... but given how well balanced it is... making it work is up to you.

RevRanDoM
Por'O
Por'O

Post#3 » Apr 22 2014 01:49

As Carrelio correctly pointed out, "build my list for me" posts are discouraged here at ATT because they really don't add anything to the think tank culture we are trying to cultivate.

Check out the following article by STS17 on list building. Give it a read and hopefully it will help you organize your thoughts (it even has an example of an 1850 point list for you to look at). Then, come back here and get them down in a post that the community can dig into and help you out with. :)

Here is the link:
http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=19098

Tau'va!

inquisitonfriendly
Shas

Post#4 » Apr 22 2014 09:25

Hi guys sry for the poor wording in my original post.... My intention wasnt to have a list built but for me but more to gain some insight and ideas towards building a list with what i have in my arsenal..... Im just getting frustrated because so far all the combos i have tried have not worked out.....

De'terra
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#5 » Apr 22 2014 09:29

It might not have been your intention, but that is how it appeared to us.

This post can be improved very easily.
For starters, have you taken a look at out Tau Tactics section and the Academy?
They provide a myriad of strategies and explanation that covers the most basics of concepts.

After that, tell us what you have tried and what happened that made it fail.
Maybe you have a funky meta or a rules interpretation that is off. Knowing that, we can provide advice on maybe your playstyle or your opponent.
Not everyone plays fair after all.

Speaking of playstyle, what would you like to play? With all that, we can really advise you on how you want to play your army, your way!
It's easy to copy a netlist but another to actually play it.

Reading battle report also helps for me. You can get some insight on why people do what they do and that just might trigger something.

Carrelio
Shas

Post#6 » Apr 22 2014 11:53

inquisitonfriendly wrote:Hi guys sry for the poor wording in my original post.... My intention wasnt to have a list built but for me but more to gain some insight and ideas towards building a list with what i have in my arsenal..... Im just getting frustrated because so far all the combos i have tried have not worked out.....

This likely isn't a problem of combos failing, but more likely an indication you need more practice with the combos you have employed for the level of play presented by your local meta. When I started playing Tau (in the dark age that was 5th edition) I went on a 100 game losing streak (not even exaggerating; my win-lose-tie record was 0-100-1 after my 101st game), but it didn't matter because every game I was learning more and more how to use my army to it's fullest potential. Tau, given their nature of being so well balanced will always be difficult to play in a competitive environment, and by this same trait it means no list will give them the auto-win. You need to properly outplay your opponent, and the Tau army gives you every possible flexible option to do that with. It just takes some time to learn is all.

inquisitonfriendly
Shas

Post#7 » Apr 22 2014 12:55

What is everyones thoughts on kroot heavy troop choice vs fire warriors in devil fish and takin crisis suits????

Carrelio
Shas

Post#8 » Apr 22 2014 01:07

Kroot are fantastic. They are cheap flexible scoring snipers! I rarely leave home without a couple units of at least 10.
Fire warriors have somewhat fallen out of favour for me in recent times. In 5th edition I was a huge fan, of a devilfish filled with fire warriors to claim objectives in the late game but with the new rules saying you must get them out of the fish to score... and having the fish be more costly than ever... I find it hard to field them and even harder to get the effect I want (so many times I've gone for the last turn objective grab just to have my fire warriors bombed off the table a split second afterwards). The devilfish definitely lends itself better to battlesuits since it provides mobile cover for them.
Crisis suits as troops themselves (thanks to Farsight) are kind of awesome as well, especially since they free up elite slots for riptides. They are everything you know and love about crisis suits but now they are scoring. The one issue I've found with them is they are expensive and low in number, which means you have to play them very carefully to avoid being compromised in a game after losing all your troops (and by extension most of your firepower).
Personally, I think a combo of a couple troop types is probably the way to go (I'm leaning towards suits and kroots currently)

Paintee
Shas

Post#9 » Apr 22 2014 02:03

I was thinking for good all round:

1 Pathfinder team

3 Fire Warrior teams

3 Broadside Battlesuits(railguns)

6 Crisis Battlesuits

2 Squads of Kroots (distractions, not too powerful yet good for getting markers)

Of course, this is not final, it is all up to you! This is not exact numbers, and in fact may not even be close! I am waiting for the codex to arrive, and it is taking AGES! So sorry for the lack of points taken into account. Also, maybe a few more battlesuits or tanks in this list, but feel free to mix it up!

For The Greater Good!
What is this "Me-lee" you speak of?

Return to “Archival Datacore - 6th Edition”