army list of 2279 points maximum points is 2500

Cadres who fought and bled under 6th edition rules.
MORPH
Shas

army list of 2279 points maximum points is 2500

Post#1 » Apr 22 2014 12:17

Hey

This is my first try to post an army list. I have played several games with tau now and I bought a lot of fun units. Now to put together an army with what I have can you guys help me thinking about my tactic.

The List

Hq

vanilla ethereal 50 points

He bolsters the troops with buffs and joins one of the center fire warrior teams to buff the all with the invocation spells. Also for the mass advance the run and snap shot spell is useful.

commander
-multi-spectrum sensor
- command and control node
- iridium battle suit
- pure tide engram chip

total 160 points

The commander joins the HBC riptide to support it with re roles, tank hunter monster hunter buffs, ignore cover buff. He will be good at shooting troops and medium armor and even a flyer if needed.
Troops

fire warriors
- 10 models
- Shas'ui

total 100 points

fire warriors
- 10 models
- Shas'ui

total 100 points

fire warriors
- 10 models
- Shas'ui

total 100 points

fire warriors
- 10 models
- Shas'ui 10

total 100 points

fire warriors
- 10 models
- Shas'ui

total 100 points

fire warriors
- 10 models
- Shas'ui

total 100 points

this is a wall of infantry fielded in rows (preferable 3 rows of 2). Just place them close enough that one unit covers the other unit. while in the early game they will keep their cover until the mid game late game where they will advance as fast as ground troops go with covering each other to objectives. they will be supported in their task with riptides, broad sides and path finder's. I know there are no drones in the warrior teams but that makes it cheap to form a conscript like idea like the Russian conscripts from Wo2

Elites

Riptide 180 points
- shielded missile drones
- ion accelerator
- ewo
- velocity tracker
- sms missiles

total 260 points

Riptide 180 points
- ion accelerator
- ewo
- velocity tracker
-sms missiles

total 260 points

Riptide 180 points
- heavy burst cannon
- stimulant injector

total 265 points

The riptides will be doing main damage to all they can hit or easily eliminate. The 2 ionacellerator are for the 2 large str 8 ap 2 blast. They work fine and the primary fire mode is also a good weapon. These two riptides come with a velocity tracker and an ewo. They can instantly hit deep striking terminators or severely damage or destroy an incoming flyer. The burst cannon riptide is going with a commander hq ( fielded as buff commander with drones). The main purpose is nova charging the HBC. It gives 12 rending shots and with the re role you failed to hits (commander buff). With this he makes a very dangerous. also the multispectrum sensor gives ignore cover so light infantry can't hide from it. And the HBC is an awesome weapon to pop armor up to av12 sometimes 13.

heavy slots

broad side team
- 3 broadsides
- Shas'ui
- 6 shield drones

total 277 points

broad side team
- 3 broadsides
- Shas'ui
- 6 shield drones

total 277 points

The broad side teams are used to kill enemy armor . The meaning is to deploy the in the backs of your lines with lots of sight radius over the field. their only job is to take out armor and all other light armor so the riptides can focus on blasting enemy infantry.

Fast Attack

path finder's
- 5 models
- Shas'ui

total 65

path finder's
- 5 models
- Shas'ui

total 65

These two teams are used to mark the enemy hot units that have to be removed. Most of the time the riptides will take benefit from it to remove cover for the blast profiles or to minimize the scatter.
The broadsides are twin linked witch should do the trick.
I did my best to make this list or that's what I hope I did. For those who wanted to take the to read thank you and please share you're wisdom. I am open to suggestions and about the list itself and the army and the idea. also I'm not afraid of criticism so open fire on the list, the layout, the army,...

As you saw the titel of my post i have points left but if i fill al drone slots i come in at 2495 points.

What is left in my army case
- lots of drones
- 6 crisis suits
- farsight
- cadre
- hammerhead + longstrike
- 3 stealth models
- 1 piranah

MORPH
Last edited by MORPH on Apr 22 2014 12:31, edited 1 time in total.

Carrelio
Shas

Re: army list of 2279 points maximum points is 2500

Post#2 » Apr 22 2014 12:20

Please remove the individual point values of equipment and models. The price of a completed unit is acceptable, but the price of wargear and the like is a violation of GWs intellectual property rights and can generate negative legal ramifications for the site.

jade_angel
Shas

Post#3 » Apr 22 2014 02:33

First question: are you permitted to take allies or doubled force organization? Also, are you willing to buy (or make from scratch, substitute your preferred lawful method here) models for an allied force?

My suggestions will be rather different based on whether you can use a double force org or not, and whether you can or want to take allies.

But, some general suggestions - You don't really want the shielded missile drones on the Riptides. The firepower can be useful, but if you lose one it forces a Morale check. Granted, at Ld 9, or Ld 10 with the Shas'o attached, you probably won't fail, but this would be an embarrassing way to lose a powerful unit. Also, their ballistic skill is terrible, so on average they'll only net you one extra S7 hit per unit per turn unless you use a lot of markerlights or support from allied psykers. You could probably drop the Fire Warrior Shas'uis and the Broadside Shas'vres too, to free up points to bolt on elsewhere. If you want to keep the shas'uis on the FW teams, either give them markerlights, or glue on some marker drones.

On the Broadside squads, six shield drones is overkill. Consider swapping some of them for marker drones or missile drones (kitbash the marker drones if you have to, they're a pain to get models for). Gun drones are probably too short-range, but the markers can be handy if you have Target Locks on your Broadsides. I'd make one of the two squads missile users with Velocity Trackers, add on your Hammerhead with Longstrike for more anti-armor, then maybe drop the VTs on the Riptides if you don't need as much anti-flyer coverage. You might also get the turret bits to make a Skyray and take your Hammerhead as a Skyray, instead, for markerlight and anti-air support. You do need a little more coverage against AV 14 - look at my suggestion on fusion Crisis squads below.

Spring for a Stimulant Injector for the Commander. Feel No Pain is extremely helpful for denying your opponent the Slay the Warlord point. (For the sake of the Greater Good, don't make your Ethereal the warlord, or you're hanging two victory points in the breeze!)

If you can double your force org, bring in two squads of three Crisis suits, packing a combination of burst cannons, plasma rifles, fusion blasters or missile pods depending on what kind of firepower you need. (One squad with dual plasma, the other with dual fusion seems like it would work well.) The Stealth suits would provide you some much-needed Infiltrate and cover-using shenanigans, too. Doubled up, you could shave some points to work in Farsight and the Fireblade, too. Given your Fire Warrior-heavy gunline, the Fireblade would be more advantageous if I were only going to take one.

If you can't, take a Crisis Bodyguard squad for the Commander. Since he's an independent character, he can detach from them and indeed doesn't even need to deploy with them, so they operate more or less like a 2-man Crisis team. Or, team them up with the Commander and deep strike to kill tanks using fusion blasters. Missile pods are more versatile and probably good enough against rear armor, unless your opponent has a Land Raider, but the fusions will pop Land Raiders or front armor on anything, plus they can insta-kill multi-wound T4 models like Paladins and Tyranid Warriors.

If you can take allies, Farsight Enclaves led by Farsight with three Crisis suits as the troop choice and the Piranha as a fast attack could be useful. If you're willing to buy more models, an Eldar Farseer, two squads of Jetbikes and a Wraithknight naked with dual heavy wraithcannons, or else six Fire Dragons in a Falcon or a Wave Serpent would provide some seriously mean firepower and psychic support.

MORPH
Shas

Post#4 » Apr 22 2014 05:08

The List

Hq

vanilla ethereal 50 points

He bolsters the troops with buffs and joins one of the center fire warrior teams to buff the all with the invocation spells. Also for the mass advance the run and snap shot spell is useful.

commander (warlord)
- stimulant injector
- command and control node
- iridium battle suit
- pure tide engram chip

total 155 points

gave the commander the stim injector instead of the multi spectrum for feel no pain. but beginning to doubt if he wil function good with the HBC riptide.

fire warriors
- 10 models
- 2 marker drones
- shas'ui

total 124 points

fire warriors
- 10 models
- 2 marker drones
- shas'ui

total 124 points

fire warriors
- 10 models
- 2 marker drones
- shas'ui

total 124 points

fire warriors
- 10 models
- 2 marker drones
- shas'ui

total 124 points

fire warriors
- 10 models
- 2 marker drones
- shas'ui

total 124 points

fire warriors
- 10 models
- 2 marker drones
- shas'ui

total 124 points

ire warriors
- 10 models
- 2 marker drones
- shas'ui

total 124 points

i gave al the fire warriors marker drones for chain marker lights
Elites

Riptide
- ion accelerator
- ewo
- sms missiles

total 190 points

Riptide
- ion accelerator
- ewo
- sms missiles
total 190 points

Riptide
- heavy burst cannon
- stimulant injector
- fusion blaster

total 215 points

i cut the drones like you pointed out stil not sure

heavy slots

broad side team
- 3 broadsides
- Shas'ui
- 3 shield drones
- 3 marker drones
- rail rifles

total 277 points

broad side team
- 3 broadsides
- Shas'ui
- 3 shield drones
- 3 marker drones
- 3 velocity trackers
- missiles instead of rail rifle

total 337 points

hammerhead
- longstrike

total 160 points

One aa team with missiles and sms missiles and one at team
Fast Attack

path finder's
- 5 models
- Shas'ui
- 2 marker drones

total 89

path finder's
- 5 models
- 2 marker drones
- Shas'ui

total 89
These two teams are used to mark the enemy hot units that have to be removed. Most of the time the riptides will take benefit from it to remove cover for the blast profiles or to minimize the scatter. added marker drones

grand total 2496 points
Additional i'm going o buy warhammer till die so I will always have new models comming up.
I am willing to use allies however i don't real know wich ones i heard eldar are good or enclave or space marines
I 'm willing to play with double org slots but i would like to stay close to 2500.
What is left in my army case
- 6 crisis suits
- farsight
- cadre
- 3 stealth models
- 1 piranah
- some drones

jade_angel
Shas

Post#5 » Apr 23 2014 12:39

Some tactical considerations:

1) Consider what upgrades like the Fire Warrior Shas'ui or Broadside Shas'vre get you. If you need them, great, but if not, they're easy places to shave points. Remember that the FW Shas'ui costs more than two Shas'la, and drones are also more expensive than more Fire Warriors. With an Ethereal around, you don't need the Leadership benefit, and the hope is to avoid assault altogether, so you don't really need the ability to accept challenges. In a Crisis squad, taking a Shas'vre might be more useful.

2) Consider what your opponent could bring, and how you'd counter it. In particular, consider the following threat models:
2a) Blobs of GEQ (T3/Sv 5+ or 6+) like IG squads, Eldar guardians, Kroot or Tyranid Gaunts.
2b) MEQ units (T4 or sometimes T3 or T5, Sv 3+) like Space Marines or Sisters and some Eldar aspect warriors
2c) TEQ (T4/T5, Sv 2+) like Terminators
2d) Light armor - AV10/11 like War Walkers, Piranhas, etc
2e) Medium armor - AV12 like Devilfish, Wave Serpents, Chimeras
2f) Heavy armor - AV13/14 like Leman Russ, Skyray, Ghost Ark
2g) Very heavy armor - AV14 all around. Land Raider, Monolith
2h) Monstrous creatures - these are varied, but in general expect T6, Sv 3+, W4+ and some mean abilities. T8 is not unheard of (Eldar Wraithlord/Wraithknight, Daemons with Iron Arm).
2i) Flying vehicles - light armor, can be one-hit-killed, but ignore low-strength outright and can't be grounded.
2j) Flying monstrous creatures - Can be grounded, have a toughness value, can't be one-shotted without ID weapons. (Some have T5, but S10 skyfire is rare)

In your list I see relatively few counters for TEQ and heavy/very heavy armor, especially if they have both. A squad of TEQs in a Land Raider could be seriously scary unless Longstrike gets lucky - you might have to risk dropping Ordnance ion blasts from the Riptides in places where they could scatter onto your gunline. Against monstrous creatures, you don't have much besides volume of fire. If the creature comes within range of your Broadsides and HBC Riptide, you can tear it up, but lists that bring a lot, like Chaos Daemons or Tyranids, could pose a problem.

Also, your Fire Warriors have fairly limited mobility for reaching objectives. You can screen them with the Hammerhead and Riptides, but as it stands, you mostly have to demolish enemy scoring units while mostly worrying about holding your backfield objectives. If there aren't enough to win that way, you'll have to get tricky. Having some outflanking Kroot could help, so could mounting one or two of those squads in a Devilfish.

You could put both the MSSS and the SI on the commander - remember that signature systems don't count as Crisis suit wargear slot items on a commander. You might also take Vectored Retro-Thrusters so he and his unit are harder to tarpit in assault, and maybe a twin-linked flamer for Overwatch. In my experience that kind of support commander works very well with an HBC Riptide.

Now, as for allies: there's an article posted here about Space Marines as allies, and they clearly work well. (They're Space Marines. While not the top codex anymore, how could they be anything but effective, given the setting and the fandom and GW?) Farsight Enclaves is basically more of the same, but importantly it lets you take Crisis suits as scoring troop units. You can also access the excellent Earth Caste Pilot Array for one of your Riptides, too.

My favorite allies would be Eldar. The Farseer is an outstanding HQ unit that gives you access to the Runes of Fate and Divination psychic disciplines, which are excellent. Telepathy is solid, too. They have Windrider Jetbikes as scoring troops - these are awesome, and for the cost nobody beats 'em. They have an MEQ statline, can move 12", can JSJ, and have Jink. What's not to like? Eldar have some other really nice units too: the Fire Prism tank or its close kin the Falcon, Fire Dragons, Wraithguard, Rangers, Swooping Hawks. Finally, don't forget the unit that will draw an opponent's attention like no other: the Wraithknight. It's *huge*, towering over even a Riptide, and its T8/W6 statline with two guns that insta-kill on a 6 tend to draw the attention of most every gun that can hurt it. It's the ultimate incarnation of the Distraction Carnifex tactic outside Escalation/Apoc/Imperial Knights, and it's also rather effective in melee. (Four attacks at good initiative, 5+HoW on the charge, all S10 AP2? Yes please.) Oh, and I wouldn't exactly give an Imperial Knight amazing odds head-to-head against a Wraithknight. Certainly not with three Riptides backing it up :)

Return to “Archival Datacore - 6th Edition”