Mech/Stealth Tau - Having a lot of fun using this...

Cadres who fought and bled under 6th edition rules.
gr1m_dan
Shas

Mech/Stealth Tau - Having a lot of fun using this...

Post#1 » Apr 22 2014 06:16

Hey guys,

Having always been a fan of the "Anvil/Hammer" style lists and relying on the tried and tested Riptides, Broadsides and Crisis teams I've just lately wanted to prove to my customers and regular opponents, Tau can be played WITHOUT a huge amount of cheese. I've gone for what I believe is a Mech/Stealth Cadre @ 2'000Pts. It's proved a massive success winning my last 4 out of 4 games and is a huge amount of fun to play with, whilst being a good challenge for my opponents. Does anyone else have any success of a list similar? If so, let me know!

Firstly I want to say myself and most of my customers are not WAAC players with the exception of a few but I've not played those yet. I am aware my list is not uber competitive but in the right hands, can be fun.

HQ consists of Shadowsun teaming up with a Stealth team. The team contains a Fusion Blaster plus Marker Drones/DC. So far this has been my main anti-tank unit and has racked up an impressive amount of kills without being wiped out.

Elites is filled with Stealth Teams. The 3 man team that joined Shadowsun and then a 6 man Burst Cannon team. Again, this has been a bit of a revelation for me as I was very out of favour with the Stealth teams for a long time due to the effectiveness of Crisis teams but these guys have done really well when sticking to cover. They put out some serious hurt too and can be a real thorn in the enemies side (unless they have a Helturkey...*mumbles*)

Troops is where the main change in my game style has happened. I've gone for three 10 man mounted squads. Devilfish are loaded up with two seekers / D-Pod (at 1500p I drop both the seekers and D-Pod). The Seekers have actually been quite useful and tonight one bagged a penetrating hit on a Ghost Ark which was glorious...followed by another 6 for an explode! Again, I am fully aware they are not that cost effective AND can be wasted on a Devilfish but I've gone for fluff/non cheese on purpose. Having the squads in DF has really boosted their survivability and having that extra mobility for hunting lone squads or objective taking has been invaluable. Last but not least I've gone for 12 Kroot with Sniper rounds that always infiltrate. So far they've not been pivotal but useful non the less.

Fast Attack I've gone with a unit of Pathfinders. Always loved the fluff and I've been a little more reserved with them this time, keeping the unit down to 7 strong and fielding them not so aggressively to ensure I can reach everything. They've always been public enemy number one and die quickly but hiding them for a turn or two can keep them going for when the ML really matter. I've included two Piranhas with Fusions at 2K and they've been stunning units. Not just at bagging tanks but blocking and annoyance. The drones do the same. Brilliant value for points. The last unit is the Sunshark Bomber. A unit no one expects Tau to field quite frankly but I unashamedly love the model and have netted some impressive kills with it, especially the interceptor drones!

Heavy Support has seen me shift from Broadside dependence (yes, they are fething amazing and wreck face EVERY game no matter what) to fielding an Ion-Head, Skyray and Sniper Team. All are slightly less than obvious choices but all performed brilliantly so far. The Ion-Head has just been more reliable than our old faithful Railhead (Due to me rolling 1's consistently on "to hit" and "to pen") and provides me with my anti-MEQ pie-plating. Very handy. The Skyray has been brilliant in the last few games too. With so much armour, my opponents tend to forget about the Skyray but so far has netted a flyer in everygame plus a couple of Rhinos and helped with ML duties. The Sniper Drone Team has probably been the poorest performer but still has an effect on an opponent when you start covering fire lanes with one. I load them up with two spotters which have been key to starting a ML chain.
The Shadow that strikes, he that walks unseen

RevRanDoM
Por'O
Por'O

Re: Mech/Stealth Tau - Having a lot of fun using this...

Post#2 » Apr 22 2014 09:18

This reminds me of a custom scenario/stealth themed list that Eiglepluper ran three or so years ago. I think he did a battle report for it so you might be able to find it in that subforum.

A lot of the lists I've been building lately have used 6-man stealth teams in my elites slots and crisis suits as bodyguards to my HQs. Not as points efficient as it could be but it's a lot of fun.

Would love to read some batreps if you have any.

Nevar
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#3 » Apr 22 2014 11:34

As a huge fan of stealth teams I can tell you they work very well when you build around their inclusion.

My shameless plug of the 13th Infiltration Cadre can show you what I mean.

I fielded nearly maxed out teams of XV-15's for several games when I came back from Afghanistan, and I only lost once due a deadly seize of initiative after overly aggressive deployment too close to x3 Dreadknights.

One of the key points of my success though was dismounting light vehicles quickly with the Kroot Guns on my Oxen.

You seem to have Seekers to fill that role, but how do you plan on disabling massed AV12? With the new Imperial Guard just released I reckon we are going to soon see parking lot lists again soon.

Finally, don't under estimate the Sniper Drone Team. Mine is x3 Spotters, x3 snipers, and serve mainly as marker-light cascade sources. BS5 markers are nothing to sneeze at, and the sniper rifles can be helpful for picking off squad leaders and special weapons from time to time.

Hope you continue to have success with your list, it just needs more stealth suits.

gr1m_dan
Shas

Post#4 » Apr 23 2014 01:57

@RevRanDom - will attempt to BatRep my next game if I get chance. A quick glance at my last four games have seen my HQ/Stealth combo go for their heaviest armour, and generally get it first turn. Including Land Raiders, Predators, Rhinos and Helbrutes. The fact you can counter deploy and sometimes get within 9" on the first turn is devastating. Once I get a big proportion of the enemies armour out of the way it allows some more freedom with my IFVs. Having the DF support the FW they've just disembarked has paid back dividends. Before I'd think of them as a battlefield taxi but having the two seekers and burst cannon can pretty handy in the right place. They are unassuming too, meaning I've often got a couple of side/rear shots off at unsuspecting armour.

@Nevar - Who are you serving with? Got a friend deploying to Afghanistan for the UK pack down. When I finish my trade training (RAuxF Supply) I'll be missing Afghan by a couple of months. Not sure how I feel about it!

Regarding AV12 I have 10 S8 AP3 Seekers in the list plus 4 Fusions (2 on Piranhas) and S7 on my flyer/Ion. I'm tempted to swap the Ion out for a Rail just for that long range punch but to be honest I've not missed my Railhead at all :/ I absolutely adore them and with Longstrike they are brutal against IG but the combo of Seekers/Fusion has meant I've knocked out more armour than usual. That one shot with the Railhead just loves to troll me every time. Love the 13th Infiltration Cadre by the way, very good stuff. I may try maxed out teams soon because the one maxed out team I do have is performing brilliantly.

Nevar
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#5 » Apr 23 2014 08:28

I served with the US Army all over the world. Lucky for me I am a free man now and back to being civilian for a couple of months now. Living it up.

As to maxed teams, after discussion on the forums about efficiency of Stealth teams, it turned out that x5 stealths and x2 gun drones is better that x6 suits. Mainly for leadership purposes, and the x2 TL'd gun drones even offer similar firepower to a single burst cannon XV-15/25.

I suppose the seekers and Sun Shark can cover your light armor issues, like your railhead problems, I always have my seekers troll me with 1's when I need them to pull off an important shot. I guess I never trust them unless they are shooting at flyers from a Skyray, and even then they might as well have the troll face painted on their warheads.

Das'Kyman
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#6 » Apr 23 2014 08:38

Though there are a few big differences, my 2000 pt army list is actually pretty similar to yours, Gr1m_dan.
Since my army is so similar, I can't really provide much new insight, but I can vouch for the army's joy to play. I don't win every time but I'm never a pushover and it is a ton of fun.
I love my stealth team. They are the perfect "interference" unit as they can put out a large amount of pulse shots while being really hard to remove completely. I run mine with the CDS and gun drones. I tried marker drones but I wasn't impressed, that's just a preference thing though.

Nevar, my seekers usually surprise me with their accuracy. I always expect more misses than I get. Longstrike, however, is another story entirely...I am pretty sure his hit rate so far is 50%... :::(

I have been toying with the idea of converting myself a Shadowsun. I rolled her warlord trait on my regular commander for the first time a few weeks ago and I LOVED it. Shadowsun could be the extra bit of anti-tank that I need. My list is lacking in that department, and I need to adapt to my new LGG since more than a few players use Land Raiders and now there are Knights.
I just need to ween myself off of the plasma... :D
[spoiler="2000 pt List for reference"]-O'mortal with a crisis team (Burning Eye-D + Raven)
-2 mounted FW teams
-Stealth team
-Deathrain team
-2 fusion piranhas
-2 HH and a Skyray
-Some extra MLS (either pathfinders or drones in the Deathrain team)[/spoiler]

gr1m_dan
Shas

Post#7 » Apr 24 2014 05:54

Nevar; I never thought about dropping a suit for 2 Drones - my Drones are typically units of the match, especially all the free ones from my Piranhas and vehicles. My opponents HATE them. I can double up the amount of units for someone to shoot at in one turn and they can't be ignored either. Drones > Everything.

samuraioshovah
Shas

Post#8 » Apr 28 2014 05:46

Can I use paypal for my pledge? I have never done a kickstarter.
Mobile Armor Division...71-12-11 2014 Season 14-4-3

Eiglepulper
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#9 » Apr 28 2014 07:33

viewtopic.php?p=114134#p114134

Please bear in mind the date of this linked thread.

E.

Return to “Archival Datacore - 6th Edition”