500 point escalation campaign list

Cadres who fought and bled under 6th edition rules.
gmarks
Shas

500 point escalation campaign list

Post#1 » Apr 28 2014 11:12

Hello ATT. I seek advice for an upcoming escalation campaign that I will be joining. It starts at 500points and goes up from there. The rules for 500 points are that you must have a legal army (1 HQ and 2 troops) and are allowed only one choice of the remaining categories. This list will form the core to which higher points lists will be added to. I'm not sure what the armies that I will have to face will be so therefore must be prepared for anything. Here is the list I've put together.

Total Points 499
HQ
Commander 167
TL MP
Target lock
Drone Controller
Iridium armor
2x Marker Drone

Troops
Fire Warrior team 60
6x FIre warriors
Bonded

Fire Warrior team 60
6x FIre warriors
Bonded

Fast Attack
Drone Squadron 56
4x Marker drones

Heavy Support
Hammer Head 136
Submunition Rounds
Sensor Spines
Blacksun filter

My thoughts are to attach the commander to the marker drones and use the marker light support to boost the effectiveness of the fire warriors. The commander and his TL missile pod will be able to fire at other specific high priority targets. The hammerhead will double as high armor target elimination as well as hordes by using the submunition round. My concerns are my lack of higher strength fire power, I am also concerned that I have gone overboard with the marker lights. Do I really need to use a full force org slot on a non-lethal unit? Im also concerned with the relatively minimal mobility of the fire warriors, but am not sure I can afford to make room for a devilfish. I do however think that this will be a good list from which to build for later rounds. this raises the concern between the balance of short-term viability and long-term success. I would love to get some feedback before I go into battle later this week. Thanks in advance.

AngryAlbatross
Shas

Re: 500 point escalation campaign list

Post#2 » Apr 28 2014 11:51

I would say for this points level you probably do not need the marker drone squadron. The two drones with the commander should do just fine for giving your hammerhead ignores cover or plus BS. For your campaign do you have to keep the squads you used in previous missions? or are you allowed free reign when choosing your list for the next escalation? Because that could effect our suggestions.

I think you can get a pathfinder squad with an ion rifle or rail rifle for about the same cost as those drones. Another option would be a crisis suit with dual plasma rifles or fusion. Alternatively you could trim the hammerhead off and get a full crisis team with fusion/missile pod and flamer with some points to spare. Maybe a good idea would be to scrap all the markerlights for now and put stims, iridium and a pen chip on your commander, then have him lead a decked out crisis team. Then he can tank for the squad which would help them get into optimum range with their weapons. If you want markerlights you can throw some attached drones in to the command squad and just go for a markerlight cascade.

gmarks
Shas

Post#3 » Apr 28 2014 03:02

Thanks for your input. I do have to keep the same squads at the next points level. I appreciate your suggestion about ditching the marker drones. I'm still torn. As far as substituting a crisis team for the hammerhead, my available models will limit my options as I only have 3 crisis suits at the moment, though another one may get here on wednesday, but I doubt that I will be able to get it put together and painted in time. My other thought is to instead take a piranha or two, though Im still getting the hang of how to use them.

Moriar
Shas

Post#4 » Apr 28 2014 04:49

You could do a minimum pathfinder team with one rail rifle for three points more than your marker drone squad, I believe you save two points by taking the Ion rifle but I will have to go double check.

By removing the marker drones, you could then take off the target lock from your commander, as I don't anticipate many situations at a 500pt game that you will need to be able to shoot at two different things with that unit.

Dropping bonded would grant you an extra firewarrior and a third, or an extra pathfinder with a point to spare. For the record, I always bond everything as a matter of principle, so I am happy to see someone else bonding firewarriors.

You could also drop the drone squad and try to work in a piranha, which should be easily doable if you also drop the bonding knives.

Edit 1: Do you have to maintain the same load-out for each unit, or can you stack on extra wargear/models later?
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps

Return to “Archival Datacore - 6th Edition”