First ever tau list 1500pts

Cadres who fought and bled under 6th edition rules.
Shas'Norb
Shas

First ever tau list 1500pts

Post#1 » May 01 2014 11:47

Hello. I recently started playing again after 6 years of being off. I have played a few games with my SM but decided to buy some tau cause I have always found them very interesring.

Farsight
2 crisis with 2x plasma, bkr
2 crisis with 2x fusion, target lock, bkr

1 crisis shas'vre with plasma, target lock, drone contol, bkr
2 crisis with 2x plasma, target lock, bkr
4 marker drones

4 marker drones

3 marker drones

Riptide, IA, ECPA, EWO, VT

Riptide, IA, EWO, VT

This list is made to face mostly C:SM cause thats what my buddy plays and im not in the league yet.
Pure suit elite army obviously.
Units cant use marklights from their own units marklight drones so it will take some micromanagment which might be difficult. I can see farsights unit being obliterated quite easily so I don't always have to deep strike him into a risky situation and besides we play with a decent amount of scenery so I can take advantage on jsj. The riptides should take out and fliers and pose a terror aspect. Ill probably keep them close together unless its more tactically prudent to separate them.
Ive never played this army and any info I have ive read over the past few weeks. Seems like a table or get tabled list hehe. But it also seems like a lot of fun either way.
Oh, and i opted to take so many marker drones over shield drones for what I feel are obvious reasons. They can still take wounds for my suits and provide a wide range of marker support for the tides.
Looking forward to reading any comments :)

jade_angel
Shas

Re: First ever tau list 1500pts

Post#2 » May 02 2014 07:45

The only thing I'd change is to take an HBC instead of IA on the first Riptide (the ECPA one). The ECPA is most useful with the HBC, and its nova-charged rending plus volume of fire is useful against hordes, and surprisingly effective on tanks. Volume of fire is what this list is most lacking, though you have AP1/AP2 out the ears. I'd also consider dropping the EWO to take a stimulant injector on that same unit, for more protection against self-inflicted wounds from nova charge or gets hot (and it's also a good second line of defense against an enemy's AP2 or high-volume fire).

When dealing with Space Marines, I'd want some way to get out of assault - Vectored retro-thrusters come to mind - but I'm not sure where you could fit those in without losing a fair whack of firepower. One possibility might be to take those instead of the drone controllers, but that would come at the cost of markerlight hits. I'd want to mathhammer that out. From my own experience, though, Space Marines will likely try to tie down your Crisis teams in melee, since it's an easy way to take a hard-to-kill unit out of action, so you'll probably get more mileage out of the VRTs than DCs.

Another possibility might be to take a commander, configured for marker drone support, instead of Farsight, fork the attached drones off into a pair of drone squadrons, and use that for your marker support, but that does break the all-battlesuit flavor. On the other hand, it would provide two or three additional units that could draw fire away from your scoring suits.

Return to “Archival Datacore - 6th Edition”