1000pts Farsight Enclaves Campaign - Help a new Tau player!

Cadres who fought and bled under 6th edition rules.
Tarnag
Shas

1000pts Farsight Enclaves Campaign - Help a new Tau player!

Post#1 » May 04 2014 08:41

Hey all! I'm currently in a 40k campaign at my FLGS. I just started collecting and playing Tau (I've had a couple fire warriors and an XV8 commander for years, now gonna actually put them to use) so I'm relatively a newbie tactics wise (for Tau). I think I have the idea down for higher points values, but after playing a couple games at 500pts last Thursday, I realize I'm not sure how to build/operate a list at lower points. So here's my first draft for next week's 1000pt games, I'm trying to not bring a Riptide til we move to 1500pts (I just started attending this club since I moved to Boston, don't wanna be "that guy"), but other than that, I'd like to win!

HQ:
Commander Farsight - 165

Ethereal - 50

Troops:
XV8 Crisis Team - 169
- Vectored Retro Thrusters, Plasma Rifle x2
- Plasma Rifle x2
- Target Lock, Fusion Blaster x2

Fire Warrior Team - 120
- Fire Warrior with Pulse Rifle x12

Fast Attack:
Drone Squadron - 56
- Marker Drone x4

Heavy Support:
Sky Ray Missile Defense Gunship - 131
- Disruption Pod, Blacksun Filter

Allied Detatchment, Tau Empire

HQ:
Commander - 128
- Target Lock, Drone Controller, Missile Pod x2

Troops:
Fire Warrior Team - 90
- Fire Warrior with Pulse Rifle x10

Fire Warrior Team - 90
- Fire Warrior with Pulse Rifle x10

Total: 999pts

Farsight joins up with the Crisis Suits, The Commander joins the Marker Drones, and the Ethereal joins up with the 12 man Fire Warrior squad. I am not sure whether to start Farsight and his squad in reserves or not, because I did in the two 500pt games and it went okay for one, and I got tabled before he came in in another. I'll have more on the table to fight back in 1000pts, but I'm still unsure.

In your comments criticism, keep in mind that during this campaign I have to have the same warlord every week; Farsight is the one I chose and brought last week and thus he has to be in the list. Also, I have a limited FoC to deal with (1 HQ, 1 Elite, 6 Troops, 1 Heavy, 1 Fast), but , last week I unlocked the Allies slot, and this week I was planning on unlocking the 1 HQ to bring the Ethereal, but I can change that to bring an extra Elite, Fast Attack, or Heavy instead.

I'd prefer not to have to buy any other models (in the short term, I'm very open to suggestions as to how to expand my collection for the better), so I'll give you a list of what I have so if you are generous you can give suggestions based on that:

[spoiler=]1 Commander Farsight
1 XV8 Commander (magnetized for all options)
1 Ethereal
6 Crisis Suits (magnetized for all options)
2 Riptides (1 with IA, otherwise both magnetized for all options)
36 Fire Warriors
40 Kroot Carnivores
6 Marker Drones
1 Sky Ray

I have ordered 20 Pathfinders, 1 more Riptide, and 1 more Sky Ray, but they haven't arrived yet. Possibly later in the campaign.[/spoiler]
Thank you for any input you can provide me, whether it be strategy or list help!

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Re: 1000pts Farsight Enclaves Campaign - Help a new Tau player!

Post#2 » May 04 2014 01:08

At first, I don't understand the point to take 12FW if you have access to Tau allies. Then I see your campaign progress, unlocking allies, ...
"Extend the list" ideas:
-Bring a Tau Empire Mark'Rain team (2crisis with 2xMP+TL, a Raven, 2-4 marker drones) to bolster your S7 shots and ML support and attach the commander to them.
-Sniper Kroot as infiltrators can help capturing far objectives or put some fire on light vehicles/MC (get a hound for them !).
-Bringing Riptide is not mandatory to win, but it draws firepower from your crisis. If you don't want to be "That guy", maybe bring the HBC instead of IA and operates without ML support.
-More firewarriors (fill up your Empire slots) if you really want a very spiky phalanx as troops line.

A weak point (IMHO): Dpod on the skyray ?
Its points may be better used elsewhere. Skyray have 3 to 9 weapons... so you mustn't move to use its full ability: hide the hull behind a terrain, with the only the turret showing, and fire missiles

Tarnag
Shas

Re: 1000pts Farsight Enclaves Campaign - Help a new Tau player!

Post#3 » May 04 2014 03:00

Thanks for the response! Good points! So I don't think I need as many markerlights as I'm putting in at 1000pts (the commander can come in later), and decided I want to bring the Riptide, so I moved some things around and fit one in:

HQ:
Commander Farsight - 165

Elites:
XV108 Riptide - 215
- Heavy Burst Cannon, Early Warning Override, Earth Caste Pilot Array, Smart Missile System

Troops:
XV8 Crisis Team - 159
- Plasma Rifle x2, Bonding Knife Ritual

XV8 Crisis Team - 53
- Fusion Blaster x2, Bonding Knife Ritual

Heavy Support:
Sky Ray Missile Defense Gunship -116
- Blacksun Filter

Allied Detatchment, Tau Empire

HQ:
Ethereal - 74
- Marker Drone x2

Troops:
Fire Warrior Team - 108

Fire Warrior Team - 108

Total: 998pts

Between the Sky Ray and the Marker drones (not sure whether to put them on the Ethereal to start on the board, or to deep strike in with Farsight's squad) I should have enough markerlights going around, still a good amount of S5 AP5 shooting, with more plasma. Not sure whether to go with Fusion or Missile Pods on the lone Crisis suit, last week I heard threats of Land Raiders (half in jest, but who knows) so maybe even one of each.

Thoughts?

Return to “Archival Datacore - 6th Edition”