2K Tau Army, First Build

Cadres who fought and bled under 6th edition rules.
Su'Tori
Shas

2K Tau Army, First Build

Post#1 » May 22 2014 12:31

This is my first 40k army *party poppers explode*, anyways I'm looking for some opinions on my list. I've basically made the list with the idea of triple redundancy in mind. That for each type of enemy or scenario there is one unit that does the job very well, one that does it well, and one that can be used to do it in a pinch. Ideally each unit is only "very well" for one unit so I'm not torn between using that unit against two enemy units that are equally as appetizing. So here is the list and my explanation for the triple redundancy below.

Total: 1999

HQ --- 286

Shadow Squad ---
Shadowsun w/ Commandlink Drone -

Ethereal --- 131
ethereal -
9 man fire warrior squad -

Troops - 285

Fire Warrior Team 1 -- 90
10 fire warriors

Kroot Kindred - 105
15 kroot
Sniper Rounds

[b]Fire Warrior Team 3 -- 90
10 fire warriors - 90

Fast Attack - 579

Pathfinder Team 1 --- 130
10 Pathfinders
shas’ui
bonding knife

Remora School - 360
4 Remoras

Pathfinder Team 2 - 89
4 pathfinders
3 Rail Rifles

Heavy Support - 614

Hammerhead Gunship - 190
hammerhead
Smart Missiles
Submunition Rounds
Longstrike
Blacksun - Free with Longstrike
Overwatch - Longstrike
Overwatch many times - Freaking Longstrike
D-pod

XV107 R’Varna - 295
XV107 - 260
Stim Injector

Sniper Drone Team - 129
3 Spotter -
6 Drones -

Elite -- 235

Skywatch XV104 Team --- 235
XV104
Heavy Burst Cannon
Stim Injector
Velocity Tracker

Unit that might be able to do it - Ton of fire warrior shots

Anti Horde
Unit that does it really well - XV107/XV104
Unit that does it well - Remoras
Unit that can do it - Hammerhead

Anti TEQ
Unit that does it really well - XV104
Unit that does it well - Pathfinder Squad with Rail Rifles
Unit that does it alright - Ton of Fire Warrior shots

Anti Heavy Armor
Unit that does it really well - Hammerhead
Unit that does it well - Shadowsun
Unit that does it alright - XV107/XV104

Anti Light/Medium Armor
Unit that does it really well - Remoras
Unit that does it well - XV107
Unit that does it alright - XV104

Markerlights (probably should have led with this one)
Unit that does it really well - 10 man Pathfinder Team
Unit that does it well - Sniper Drone Team
Unit that does it alright - Remoras

Monstrous Creatures
Unit that does it really well - Sniper drones and Railfinders
Unit that does it well - XV107/XV104
Unit that does it alright - Remoras (Seeker Missiles)

Anyhow that's my list. The triple redundency thing is just a guideline by which I made my army. Its not saying that I will always peg a horde with the XV107 it more for what happens if I lose "X". To ensure that no matter what I lose I know what my go to back up unit is to fulfill that role. A good example is the markerlights section. The kind of weapon that can wipe a 10 man path finder team (or send them running) is usually a large blast template which won't be any use against a Remora squad which is flyer or the sniper drone team which will be behind my lines.

Any advice, help, etc would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

Edit #1: removed component costs as per primer leaving only unit costs.
Edit #2: Replaced XV8's with XV104 since the logic behind it was sound, also replaced Fire Warrior team with Kroot kindred since there are already three teams and the marginal benefit of a fourth is questionable.
Last edited by Su'Tori on May 22 2014 04:43, edited 5 times in total.

jade_angel
Shas

Re: 2K Tau Army, First Build

Post#2 » May 22 2014 02:18

To the best of my understanding, a Drone Controller does NOT confer Skyfire to drones. It does confer the bearer's Ballistic Skill, but not the Skyfire special rule, so the drones still snap-shoot. The only way I know of to get Skyfire markerlights is with a Skyray.

Consequently, I would replace the Skywatch team with an XV104 Riptide with a Stimulant Injector and Velocity Tracker. Your choice on the primary and secondary weapons - both the Ion Accelerator and Heavy Burst Cannon are effective in the anti-air role. For secondaries, the fusion blaster is clearly superior against flying vehicles, but the smart missile system is superior against flying monstrous creatures (four shots that ignore Jink, and no FMC has enough toughness to ignore it, except some Daemons if they roll a maximum on Iron Arm).

The Riptide would also perform anti-armor and anti-TEQ effectively and has some utility in the anti-horde role: the IA has AP2 and a large blast mode, while the HBC, especially with the SMS, has high shot volume.

There is also one more target type to consider: monstrous creatures. Usually that means MEQ or TEQ-like saves and a lot of wounds to chew through, and no Explodes result to speed things up. (Most are T6, so there's no double-out either!) Further, most everyone has access to one now. In my own meta, I see Tyranids and Daemons a lot, and it's rare to see Tau without a Riptide or Eldar without a Wraithknight. There's also the Dark Eldar Talos and the Grey Knight Dreadknight to consider, plus a few from Necrons. I wouldn't be surprised to see one in the new Ork codex, whenever that comes out.

From your current list, the Fire Warriors, XV107 and Hammerhead all deal with them fairly well. The Sniper Drones could be useful, and Kroot work much better than you might think. Kroot pulse rounds are also affected by the Ethereal, so you could possibly swap one or two Fire Warrior teams for Kroot squads. Don't underestimate the utility of Outflank and Infiltrate! And on that note, you can use Commander Shadowsun to Outflank - but not Infiltrate - a unit that doesn't normally have that rule.

timb6ea
Shas

Post#3 » May 22 2014 04:17

jade_angel wrote:To the best of my understanding, a Drone Controller does NOT confer Skyfire to drones. It does confer the bearer's Ballistic Skill, but not the Skyfire special rule, so the drones still snap-shoot. The only way I know of to get Skyfire markerlights is with a Skyray.
Correct although there are a few other ways, one of the Forgeworld XV8 variants (I forget if it's the 81 or the 84) has a NetML and could also mount the VT, all Flyers have skyfire, or you could plop a marker team down on a skyfire nexus.

So, Shas’ui XV8 - CNC Node, Drone Controller, VT --- doesn't work, the VT has no impact. Also, that should be a Shas'vre (didn't count the points so maybe it's just mislabelled).

jade_angel wrote:Pathfinder Team 2 - 99
4 pathfinders
3 Rail Rifles
I did count the points here though and I don't think this is correct.

You list your Ethereal running with EMP grenades. I would not recommend this as you'll be tempted to use the EMP grenades which would put the Ethereal in harm's way. Obviously he's an IC but I'd still plan to put him on another team.

Fire Warrior Team 3 is bonded which I don't recommend on rank and file troops. At best this can give two fleeing firewarriors a better chance to regroup. Two. Not really worth the price considering for the cost you could just put another firewarrior on the table, or promote a Shas'ui in another squad which is more useful.

Pathfinder Team 1 is also bonded. Same as above.

Pathfinder Team 2 is not bonded. This one may actually be worth the cost considering that one fleeing Pathfinder may have a rail rifle.

Your XV8 team should be bonded and has said before the VT doesn't work and as a result the EWO doesn't really fit here either. If you are going to invest in the C&C Node, it's best to maximize it's usefulness which means the whole unit needs to fire in your shooting phase. The better option is target locks.

So, for your matrix, as is your top AA team is the Remoras. If the target survives it may still have markerlights on it. Your skywatch team is no slouch either with the C&C node making them hit better.

For the markerlight matrix, the marker drones in your crisis team will run a close second to the 10 pathfinders.
Will Flak'O for food.

Su'Tori
Shas

Post#4 » May 22 2014 04:22

timb6ea wrote:
jade_angel wrote:To the best of my understanding, a Drone Controller does NOT confer Skyfire to drones. It does confer the bearer's Ballistic Skill, but not the Skyfire special rule, so the drones still snap-shoot. The only way I know of to get Skyfire markerlights is with a Skyray.
Correct although there are a few other ways, one of the Forgeworld XV8 variants (I forget if it's the 81 or the 84) has a NetML and could also mount the VT, all Flyers have skyfire, or you could plop a marker team down on a skyfire nexus.

So, Shas’ui XV8 - CNC Node, Drone Controller, VT --- doesn't work, the VT has no impact. Also, that should be a Shas'vre (didn't count the points so maybe it's just mislabelled).

jade_angel wrote:Pathfinder Team 2 - 99
4 pathfinders
3 Rail Rifles
I did count the points here though and I don't think this is correct.

You list your Ethereal running with EMP grenades. I would not recommend this as you'll be tempted to use the EMP grenades which would put the Ethereal in harm's way. Obviously he's an IC but I'd still plan to put him on another team.

Fire Warrior Team 3 is bonded which I don't recommend on rank and file troops. At best this can give two fleeing firewarriors a better chance to regroup. Two. Not really worth the price considering for the cost you could just put another firewarrior on the table, or promote a Shas'ui in another squad which is more useful.

Pathfinder Team 1 is also bonded. Same as above.

Pathfinder Team 2 is not bonded. This one may actually be worth the cost considering that one fleeing Pathfinder may have a rail rifle.

Your XV8 team should be bonded and has said before the VT doesn't work and as a result the EWO doesn't really fit here either. If you are going to invest in the C&C Node, it's best to maximize it's usefulness which means the whole unit needs to fire in your shooting phase. The better option is target locks.

So, for your matrix, as is your top AA team is the Remoras. If the target survives it may still have markerlights on it. Your skywatch team is no slouch either with the C&C node making them hit better.

For the markerlight matrix, the marker drones in your crisis team will run a close second to the 10 pathfinders.

Ironically you posted this right before I resubmitted the edited post. About 90% of your suggested changes were made during that edit, next edit I'm going to hit on the bonded knife ritual with the other pathfinder team. And I recounted and I got a number lower then what I listed so I'm gonna triple check that before next edit.

timb6ea
Shas

Post#5 » May 22 2014 05:22

After looking at the list again, I am rescinding my suggestion that you bond Pathfinder team 2. When I originally read it I interpreted that team to have 7 members. With only four members you gain no benefit from bonding.

So, I see Shadowsun in your list. How do you plan to use her?
Will Flak'O for food.

Su'Tori
Shas

Post#6 » May 22 2014 08:44

timb6ea wrote:After looking at the list again, I am rescinding my suggestion that you bond Pathfinder team 2. When I originally read it I interpreted that team to have 7 members. With only four members you gain no benefit from bonding.

So, I see Shadowsun in your list. How do you plan to use her?

She will probably be sticking with the riptide to provide rerolling 1's on the HBC and stealth+shrouded.

timb6ea
Shas

Post#7 » May 23 2014 12:06

Su'Tori wrote:She will probably be sticking with the riptide to provide rerolling 1's on the HBC and stealth+shrouded.
Get your game in quick then. :) Sounds like 7th edition forbids that combo.
Will Flak'O for food.

jade_angel
Shas

Post#8 » May 23 2014 08:05

You'll still be able to use the command-link drone though, since that's just any unit (including her own) within 12".

I like using a Farseer to cast Guide or Prescience on the Riptide, but we'll see if Tau and Eldar are still battle brothers in 7th. (Fluff-wise, they *should* be - the two most rational and pragmatic factions, generally, and the Tau are hardly more numerous than the Eldar. They certainly have a common motive in avoiding extinction at the hands of Tyranids, Necrons, Chaos and other forces of hideousness.)

She could also hang with a squad of Fire Warriors, giving them cover and Look Out, Sir shenanigans.

ETA: Don't forget, when using your Riptide and R'Varna against tanks, that assault is a viable option. Smash gives you S10, resolved against the rear armor. Only something like Dark Eldar Flickerfields help then!

Return to “Archival Datacore - 6th Edition”