color choices

Post and discuss techniques, advice and your latest projects.
Jemini78
Shas'La

color choices

Post#1 » Apr 06 2017 03:41

I know many people will argue, that its your army, choose the color you like best. However, I am trying to narrow it down between the two color choices. I am going to build a pathfinder team for Shadow War Armeggedon for my local store, I could just go with scouts to match my Angels of Vengeance army, but I really wanted to play tau for the local campaign (even though I will end up building multiple kill teams).

I have narrowed down my sept choice to Ke'lshan, which helped me to narrow down the colors I would rather paint for this kill team. I am just torn between a purple scheme or a teal green scheme (think sons of horus green or kalabite green which is what I will probably use for the base).

So I worked up a couple of color ideas, nothing final, but I did add more yellow markings on the purple scheme.

for the green scheme, I went with more green variations.

I am torn because I like both, and can't decide which I like better. I have painted similar color schemes using both colors, so neither will be too difficult to paint for me. I think the green might look more natural to the tau fluff of camoflage patterns, but the purple and yellow seems to stand out more due to the complimentary coloring.
Last edited by Jemini78 on Apr 07 2017 02:36, edited 2 times in total.

Lyi'ot
Por'O

Re: color choices

Post#2 » Apr 06 2017 07:07

The B&C army painter pictures must be saved and hosted elsewhere; hotlinking directly to B&C does not work.

Jemini78
Shas'La

Post#3 » Apr 06 2017 07:55

okay, i will look at getting it hosted, it showed for me didn't know it didn't work

Jemini78
Shas'La

Post#4 » Apr 07 2017 02:36

updated it, used my photobucket account (had to recall the info to it, its been a while since I used it). So links hopefully work

TauMan
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Apr 07 2017 09:11

Jemini78

Looking at your samples, I really like both. If I had to choose one, then I would have to go with the teal green; but that's only because I've a lot of purple Tau armies lately. A guy at the store I play at has a very nice purple and orange Tau army. And I've recently seen at least three other purple armies here on the A.T.T. forum.

Also, I think I'd like to see teal used as vehicle colour, might get some cool results that way.

The choice of either purple or green makes me think of the Drazi on Babylon 5: "Purple Drazi, Green Drazi"

Other things to think about with colour choice:
  • Theme of the army: Urban, Jungle, Desert, Wasteland etcetera; which determines what you're going to use to base your models.
  • Therefor whatever base or flock colour you use, should compliment the overall colour of the model.
  • For the firewarriors/pathfinders, what is the undersuit colour? This can enhance or mute the colour depending on what you go with.
  • And what is the colour of your weapons? Same reason as the undersuit and base colours.
  • What highlight colours are you going to use for either colour? What are the shade will you use with either colour?

Really best way to decide is to do test models, probably two for each colour. This is so that you can also try different undersuit colours with both. Test models also tell you, whether you're able to pull off the look that you want. You might really like teal, but then you don't get the look that you wanted.

Whatever you choose as for paints Reaper Miniatures Master Series have great colours. You can even buy set of three of one colour, but in three different shades! Vallejo Game Colours are great too. Haven't tried Privateer Press colours, but that's what a lot of the Golden Daemon winners use.

Good luck. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

The TauMan
They made me Shas'Ui? What were they thinking?
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Jemini78
Shas'La

Post#6 » Apr 08 2017 03:33

the undersuit color was going to be black, and the weapon I was also going to do mostly black, keeping the color scheme simple, but i never really cared for using metallic colors on the tau. Right now, the only unit I am going to paint is a pathfinder for kill team. It may expand into a full army, but that will be slowly and probably at first from getting some of the models needed for the special operatives for Shadow War Armageddon. So for now, the setting will be Urban, but i usually don't go with the traditional paint my tau for their setting schemes.

As for the paints, yes I use a mix of reaper, privateer press, vallejo game color, and GW paints. It depends on the color I want, and well, privateer doesn't have a teal color, that paint line is limited in color ranges compared to the other 3.

also very valid point about the purple tau, you do see a lot of purple tau, also a lot of yellow, red, greys, whites, and blue and green tau, but not any real teal colored ones. So thanks for that reminder, i may just go with the teal green after all.

Tael
Fio'O

Post#7 » Apr 08 2017 07:34

I'm sold on the Teal scheme, not because that is my usual mispelt name either. It is dynamic and has a nice manga-esque future vibe.

- Tael.

Return to “Painting & Artwork”