Tekkenotik's Sa'Cea Rra'Ka Cadre

Post and discuss techniques, advice and your latest projects.
tekkenotik
Shas'Saal

Tekkenotik's Sa'Cea Rra'Ka Cadre

Post#1 » Oct 31 2015 06:38

I'll try to use this post as an update log for my return to the world of Tau and my painting progress.

Below is my XV104 Riptide wip..
I'm loving the high contrast with the Sept colours!
Arms, weapons, head and shield to come in the next couple days.

Any C&C is appreciated
ImageImageImage
Last edited by tekkenotik on Jun 19 2017 07:04, edited 2 times in total.

Coar Eldi Gal'leath
Shas

Re: Tekkenotik's Sa'Cea Rra'Ka Cadre

Post#2 » Nov 16 2015 03:28

Looking really nice. I also really like high contrast colours. Armies like Tau and Eldar look fantastic in high contrast colours. I'm going for blue and orange for my Tau. Looking forward to seeing it completed (your Riptide). I would love to see any more of your stuff
Bad spellers of the world untie

tekkenotik
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Nov 29 2015 04:54

Been away for a few weeks with work so had little chance to post updates to my work,

Riptide is very close to being finished, just need to touch up a few areas I think and magnetise the weapons and arms. Update pics for that will be in the next couple days

Bought a commander and had my first crack at a bit of dynamic posing and basing, I think it works quite well and I gotta say... I love the new kits for how posable and the available options!

Image Image

I plan on having my commander (yet un named or battle tested) painted and based by the end of the week, as before, any comments are welcome and appreciated :biggrin:

tekkenotik
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Nov 30 2015 08:45

I apologise for the double post, but I have some update pics of my commander :smile:

I am absoloutly loving this scheme, its a blast to paint, and simple yet effective enough I think, jets, weapons and basing is all he needs to be completed.. :D
----
Also an added bonus....snaps of some of my first models, Stealth suits in a desert theme... I am extremely happy with the progress of my painting abilities since just a few years ago!
These boys will be getting a new coat of paint soon to bring them in line with the rest of my cadre I think :D
Image Image

I'm slowly working through the rebuilding and repainting of my models, I hope to have more update shots in the near future when I'm a little less busy.
Finishing the commander and moving onto hammerhead and strike/breacher team

My impromptu lightbox/backdrop wasn't completely ineffective I think :P

Rhy'kais
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Dec 03 2015 07:03

The Commander looks stellar; a really ominous and imposing model. Top work! :biggrin:
For the Tau'va!

tekkenotik
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Jun 02 2016 05:45

Long time away, work has kept me busy the last 6 months and I have moved house. but non the less I have returned for some painting and hopefully some battle reports in the next coming weeks!

The project list has had some additions too! On the line up for the rest of the year, not necessarily in order of priority:

3 x Strike/breacher teams
1 x Firewarrior squad
2 x pathfinder teams
1 x Riptide
1 x Commander
1 x Ethereal
1 x Darkstrider
1 x Fireblade
1 x Hammerhead
1 x Broadside
3 x Stealth suits

I have also made an investment in a badger 2020 2f airbrush
And vallejo model air to play around with
Hopefully I'll provide some pics and updates as the packages arrive along with my new paint station :biggrin:

Watch this space for more

guges
Shas'La

Post#7 » Jun 05 2016 04:34

Very clean lines and nice use of color.

tekkenotik
Shas'Saal

Re: Tekkenotik's Sa'Cea Rra'Ka Cadre - Update PIC HEAVY

Post#8 » Jun 08 2016 02:10

Update time!
Lots to cover over my weekend of sorting, unpacking, receiving packages and painting :D

I spent Sunday afternoon constructing a workspace to free up the dining table to keep the fiancee happy :p
It is the perfect size and now I have a nice little space to leave everything about in whatever state of work I'm up to without taking up another table or desk :D

Secondly! Update pics time! first off is updates to my coldstar commander and riptide
I tried my hand at some lens effects, I don't know how I feel about blue on the grey, I may change this in the next round of painting the never ending WIPs:p
Based these guys first and so far I think that these are the first models I have absed and I'm quite happy with the result

These are the first ever models ive based and i think so far theyve turned out quite good, need a lick of paint and some greenery and maybe some objects to help make them a little more interesting but i think they work :)

Next up is my fireblade, another first time for me with skin tones and I must say, tau skin is easier than I had previously thought, a little on the flat side so highlights and shading are needed i think.

A team of fire warriors that I've finally gotten around to assembling basing and painting, only base coated with slight colours at the moment but so far so good, the new airbrush I bought makes quick work of that whole process and will leave me more time to detail and work on the smaller elements.

I love love love the kit with all the accessory options and individuality of each warrior :D I don't think a single model is without a pouch of some sort :P

Next up is my newest purchase and one im extremely keen to put on the battlefield, a ghostkeel!
Again, I absolutely love this kit with how detailed and pose-able the model is, I hope to have this basecoated and possibly by my next update in a couple weekends.

I found an old devilfish hull that i had a hand at a digital camo pattern, i like the contrast and effect but the end product is a little rough for my liking, i may re do this with the anarchy paint models stencil set and see how that goes for me :)

This model will also be a conversion to something similar to the angle fish conversion ive seen a couple pics of, just waiting on materials and bitz to get started on that one ;)
Hopefully i can pull it off and make the process efficient for follow on hammerheads/skyrays/troop carriers ;)

And the final part of this update
Ive decided that ill reinstate my older models to active service, i didnt take account of the number of models but there is at least 6 stealth suits, 2 squads of kroot and at least 1 squad of fire warriors that are all currently soaking in the magical dettol solution in order to strip them for re painting.
I made the grave mistake of rinsing them under water so ended up with the black tarry sludge that sticks abaoloutly everything like the plague,
The models have since re entered the formaldehyde looking dettol tubs to try to rectify this :p

I'm super happy with my weekends progress and will have a plethora of new models and updates to report back with in the next update.

Apologies for the lighting in the photos, I need to put together a decent light box to best display my work I think.

All comments, criticism or tips are welcomed and appreciated :)

Stay tuned and i will attempt to remain a lot more active on the forums :D

n1md4
Shas'La

Re: Tekkenotik's Sa'Cea Rra'Ka Cadre UPDATE PIC HEAVY

Post#9 » Jun 08 2016 10:33

Nice progress! I recruit most my cadre from the ebay sector, and all go through dettol training - and the best of us have rinsed with water ;)

Looking forward to more :)

p.s. nice workstation! I still utilise the dinning table, and a number of boxes :-\

tekkenotik
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Jun 12 2017 06:50

I'm back!

just over 12 months away, life gets in the way some times but after a graduation, interstate move and a promotion, I am finally settled and unpacked the hobby box last week.

updates! I decided to dive right back into the pool, dipping your toe back in isn't my style, anyways! pics or it didn't happen right? ;)

This is about half way through the week back into the hobby

This is the decided colour scheme I went with, I like the contrast and with washes and highlights it comes out quite nice, These guys are my favourite of the bunch

XV8 #1 - getting better at some of the battle damage and weathering. I'm still semi experimenting with the best colour scheme to go with for these guys

XV8 #2 - Started giving some OSL a test, not sure if I hit the mark on this little guy, but I'm more comfortable with the technique now :)

XV8 #3 - The Shas'ui for the other suits, happier with this scheme, WIP still as always

I'm not 100% comfortable with tau skin yet, but I love the colours and the contrast to the scheme :D

Vehicles are a big fear of mine, I took a looooong time to get to this stage with the piranha and I still think it needs a little something extra

Update on the old stuff time :D

My favourite model in the entire Tau collection, the commander suit, this guy turned out better than I could have hoped for and minus the base, I can put him in the 95% pile

XV104 - Mr Riptide, this guy keeps me entertained, currently working on the weapon, weathering and final touches to go

I will keep this post as up to date as possible, work keeps me busy, but I have a LOT more downtime at home now. short story = more time for the hobby and maybe a few battle reports to come in the near future :D

As always, CC is highly appreciated, I love the comments and relish any opportunity to improve :)

Thanks for taking the time to look!

tekkenotik
Shas'Saal

Re: Tekkenotik's Sa'Cea Rra'Ka Cadre (lots of pics)

Post#11 » Jun 17 2017 06:58

Another double post, apologies!

Lots of pics to bring to the table however!

Lets take a look at the contingent as it stands.

54 Firewarriors
10 Pathfinders
9 XV25s
Ethereal
Fireblade
Darkstrider
XV104
Ghostkeel
XV8 Commander Rra'Ka himself
XV9
3 XV8 suits
Piranha

That is a lot more models than I initially thought I had to table.. Time to get painting!

These white primed lads are on the list to be brought back to life and active service one the backlog of painting clears up. :P

Pathfinders, XV25s, Etheral, Fireblade and Darkstrider.

Lets take a closer look at whats on the paint pallet for the next few days..
Rear ranks are completed, going to update this post with some images with nicer lighting tomorrow.
Center ranks are finished base coating, need alternate colours added in the same manner as rear rank.
and Front rank got a prime and basecoat this morning, weapons and backpacks to follow.

The whole team formed up.

I still have another Commander to assemble, as well as countless drones too..

That's all for this evening, trying to keep this post as up to date now as I can. I scored a week off work so some nice progress should occur over that period :D Happy viewing and thanks for stopping by! :)

materpillar
Shas'La

Post#12 » Jun 17 2017 01:14

I'm really digging your color scheme. It looks like you might be going a little heavy on the blue glowing effect from the photos but it might look better in person.

I'm a sucker for stealth suits, are you going to paint yours camouflaged or in standard colors?

Are you interested in doing a fluff backstory for your cadre/commander?
----- Akul Contingent -----
Engagement Results 54-18-8

tekkenotik
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Jun 17 2017 07:03

Thanks materpillar! :)

I'm still getting used to using the airbrush for glow effects so some of them look a little overpowered and I need to tone it down a little :P

I think I will attempt a phase shift effect on the stealth suits mixed in with a camo pattern, undecided whether to go urban digicam or splotches/tigerstripe etc.

I haven't thought of the fluff side of things yet, I think after a few more games with him he will develop himself a little story though ;)

Tael
Fio'O

Post#14 » Jun 18 2017 11:22

Indeed, early indications look like this lot will be very impressive altogether.

Always nice to see a gathered for under way :)

tekkenotik
Shas'Saal

Post#15 » Jun 19 2017 07:07

Thank you for the kind words Tael.

So I got handy over the weekend and built a light box to take some nice photos. The end result is quite astonishing, it's incredible how a simple thing can add to the quality of photos.

enjoy the sampler!

I will play around with the lighting but at least all my future posts will have some decent, quality images :D

Tael
Fio'O

Post#16 » Jun 20 2017 11:04

Wow, very nice! Thats one stoic Tau. Look forward to his completion :)

Return to “Painting & Artwork”