Stealth Suit Edge Effect

Post and discuss techniques, advice and your latest projects.
greenman019
Shas

Stealth Suit Edge Effect

Post#1 » Oct 11 2017 05:05

Currently painting some Sa'Cea sept Tau and came across these Stealth Suits in the codex.

Think I might do mine like that instead of the usual grey blue. My models are all primed black so is that just a case of lots of edge highlighting? Looks like Fenrisian Grey and maybe some light blue glazing on some of the panels.

As a side note this is the first model I worked on. (Wip so the high res pics are quite unforgiving) Not happy with how light it is, colour is ok though. Any tips on how I could darken this one and how I could make the other models better from the start?

Much prefer this sort of colour for it: (Not my pic of course)

Process for mine was Black Primer - The Fang basecoat (2 thin coats) - 2 thin layers of Russ Grey and I'm trying some Fenrisian Grey edge highlighting but don't have much of a steady hand for it atm.

Juicy Fruit
Shas

Re: Stealth Suit Edge Effect

Post#2 » Oct 16 2017 08:55

greenman019 wrote:Any tips on how I could darken this one and how I could make the other models better from the start?

The two coats of Russ Grey have lightened it. You could darken it by painting The Fang over the top of it. If the scheme on the ghostkeel is what you want then leave out the Russ Grey layers on future models.

greenman019 wrote:I'm trying some Fenrisian Grey edge highlighting but don't have much of a steady hand for it atm.

Paint on the edge highlight as best you can. Then go back over it with you base colour to thin it down. An example of the drones I'm working on using this process:

Primum conatus pessimi

greenman019
Shas

Post#3 » Oct 16 2017 10:59

Juicy Fruit wrote:
greenman019 wrote:Any tips on how I could darken this one and how I could make the other models better from the start?

The two coats of Russ Grey have lightened it. You could darken it by painting The Fang over the top of it. If the scheme on the ghostkeel is what you want then leave out the Russ Grey layers on future models.

greenman019 wrote:I'm trying some Fenrisian Grey edge highlighting but don't have much of a steady hand for it atm.

Paint on the edge highlight as best you can. Then go back over it with you base colour to thin it down. An example of the drones I'm working on using this process:

Nice colour scheme man. Steadier hand than me :o

So for the stealth suits just edge highlight that colour on black undercoat?

I'll give that a go as well with the Fang. Actually found the source of that pic as well which says Dark Reaper base coat with glazed highlights of thunderhawk blue so will try both methods on a drone first maybe. Not done glazed highlights before.

Juicy Fruit
Shas

Post#4 » Oct 16 2017 02:00

I had not heard of glazed highlights before reading your post. An interesting technique and, I suppose, the way they have got those really nice colour gradients across the flat panels. I will be giving that a go on a drone - the large flat top surface will be a perfect test bed for painting larger surfaces.

Paint the edge highlight onto the black undercoat. Don't worry about getting it perfect. Once it is done tidy it up by painting over the highlight with Abaddon Black. Don't be afraid to go back and forth with highlight and base if you make any mistakes or feel an area needs improving.

Edit: looking at some pictures the suits that look great don't seem to be all black. I don't know if it is the bright light shining on them or if they have used a glazing technique to get a hint of colour onto the larger black areas.
Primum conatus pessimi

Juicy Fruit
Shas

Post#5 » Dec 11 2017 05:48

Juicy Fruit wrote:Edit: looking at some pictures the suits that look great don't seem to be all black.

I have found some information on how the 'Eavy Metal team get their black to look as cool as it does.

Tale of Painters Blog wrote:For a classic ‘Eavy Metal (blue/black) style do not start with a pure black basecoat. Use a dark to very dark blue (i.e. 50/50 regal blue and chaos black). Then shade down the area with a chaos black glaze into the recesses to create depth. You can then re-apply a thin coat of the base coat to the more prominent areas.

Sources:
http://taleofpainters.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... metal.html
http://taleofpainters.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... al_25.html
Primum conatus pessimi

Commander Deffblade
Shas

Post#6 » Dec 11 2017 06:25

I prefer The Fang over Russ Grey personally. Russ Grey is just a tad too light and reminds me of Space Wolves colors whereas The Fang maintains a more exotic bluish hue that contrasts more with the Jokaero/Fire Dragon Orange.

Return to “Painting & Artwork”