[Tutorial] How to Paint an Urban Camo Scheme

Post and discuss techniques, advice and your latest projects.
lostinnm
Shas

[Tutorial] How to Paint an Urban Camo Scheme

Post#1 » Sep 06 2009 01:48

A couple weeks ago, Firestorm asked me how I did my urban stealth paint scheme that I posted here. I was working on a new set of sniper & marker drones so I made sure to document my progress. I apologize for the poor photos, my light box is in storage right now, so I had to rig up a special system to get somewhat decent photos.
Here goes:

Step One
Start of with primer, your favorite kind will suffice. Typically you'll choose it according to how you want the scheme to end up looking. Since I hate black lining & I'll have a lot of black spaces on my stealth models I did black. Here you can see the top of the disk prepped for starting the camo scheme.

Step Two
With the area prepped you line the basic idea of the camo lines. I used codex gray with a 3/0 round brush. With that width brush it takes about two passes to get the correct width and points of the lines. Don't worry about getting the edges too sharp yet since that is done later.

Step Three
With the lines in place I added the surrounding color. Here I used shadow gray. For starters I painted the basic shape of the shadow gray with the same 3/0 round brush. Then to get the sharp edges between the shadow gray & codex gray I switched to a 10/0 brush, slightly overlaying the shadow gray on to the codex gray until I get a sharp, crisp edge between the two.

Step Four
With the shadow gray in place I then switch to chaos black to finish sharpening up the paint job. Using the 10/0 brush I go around the outer edge of the shadow gray, then fill in the black between the codex gray lines. At this time, I make sure to keep the lines as even as possible.

Step Five
With the camo done I then add gemmed "stealth nodes" and paint in the rest of the details to finish up the model.

With this scheme, be prepared to take a lot of time, and lots of practice steadying your hand. I'll usually brace my painting hand against a table to stay steady enough to get straight lines. Overall it took me 13 hours on my first model, but now I can finish up a model in about 1-2 hours. Don't be afraid if you mess up, if you are using thin enough paints, you can easily paint over your mistakes to get a nice finish.
Any questions, please feel free to PM me.
Last edited by lostinnm on Feb 18 2011 06:37, edited 1 time in total.

Firestorm
Shas

Re: Urban Camo Scheme

Post#2 » Sep 08 2009 11:52

Thanks man, shame I decided to do my sniper team already. But this will definitely help me with future attempts. Ever since I first saw your stealth suit I knew I had to try this (as shadow gray is my cadres primary armor color) and I might just use this for my next stealth team. Awesome work man!

Eiglepulper
Shas'O
Shas'O

Re: [How to] Paint an Urban Camo Scheme

Post#3 » Sep 08 2009 03:33

Clear, straightforward instructions on how to do what can be a pain to do successfully IMO. Stickied.

Shas'O

O'Shaska
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: [Tutorial] How to Paint an Urban Camo Scheme

Post#4 » Feb 24 2010 02:41

Just the thing I needed to spice up my Sa'cea cadre. Great idea! Thanks for sharing it :)
Unity is a rock against the tides of conflict.

Return to “Painting & Artwork”