Hobby Resource [Tau Squad Marking Scheme] - Updated

Post and discuss techniques, advice and your latest projects.
Mek'an'ik
Fio

Hobby Resource [Tau Squad Marking Scheme] - Updated

Post#1 » Aug 11 2011 12:58

Hi folks,

So in the process of painting my Tau Army I got to thinking about the squad markings... and the fact that there is no hard and hast rule concerning which icon is for what etc.

The bit of research and looking through the publications has shown me that there isnt a coherent scheme underpinning everything... so I thought I would make one.

I've based the symbols on the most repeated items as much as possible... but I had to use my limited imagination for the rest.

This system is based on the Tau Language structure - word fragments that when combined make a picture which is a word.

-----------------------------

Ok After some editing... here is current iteration:

Mek'an'ik
Last edited by Mek'an'ik on May 12 2013 06:36, edited 12 times in total.
Check out my sculpting blog:

Far Future East

endling
Shas

Re: Tau Squad Marking Scheme

Post#2 » Aug 11 2011 01:48

I would love to have a standardized marking system....alas, I have already marked all my units.

Zhege
Shas

Post#3 » Aug 11 2011 02:47

Aaw, I had the same idea! :dead: Only my system is much less organised.

Do you have markings for leaders of a tank squadron? Or does that just use the basic rank markings?

Mek'an'ik
Fio

Post#4 » Aug 11 2011 03:00

I didn't... didn't think of it! Buut...

It would proceed up the Command structure as for the Ranks in the caste.

As in the ordinary members of the a tank squad would have the basic symbol, the 'ui would have the short bar to the right to signify leadership of that group and then two dashes for the 'vre or leader of the group of groups... etc.

--Edited to show squadron marking scheme in above image

Far Future East

steelshark
Shas

Post#5 » Aug 11 2011 03:16

:biggrin: love it.

I'm not a Fan of "unorganzied warpaint" for the Tau. It seems more appropriate for the Kroot to have it for different clans and such.

br,
Steel

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#6 » Aug 11 2011 04:20

Okay, now that looks great! It makes a lot of sense and seems very doable. The only one that looks too complicated is the Pathfinder, but that is a small gripe.

I am gonna have to make these additions to my army!

Terror Spider
Shas

Post#7 » Aug 11 2011 04:34

Pretty cool. My Tau are an Imperial Japanese theme so all my squad and vehicle markings are Kanji symbols, but if I ever make a more traditional Tau cadre I'll prob use this.

filthy
Shas

Post#8 » Aug 12 2011 12:00

Really great idea. And it looks killer too. I'm just starting my cadre so I will be adding these markings to my firewarriors and my WIP 'O.
A bodygaurd designation would be pretty sweet as would a mark to show that a unit is bonded.

Crooked Bird
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Aug 12 2011 12:12

You may have a typo in the second line there Mek'an'ik, I've never fielded a Shas 'Le myself. :P
I regret what I have not done.

fallschirmjager
Shas

Post#10 » Aug 12 2011 03:21

Love it mate, I'll definitely be borrowing this idea. :P
My Shas'La shall not fail.

Mek'an'ik
Fio

Post#11 » Aug 12 2011 03:37

Thanks folks, really appreciate the comments!

Crooked Bird wrote:You may have a typo in the second line there Mek'an'ik, I've never fielded a Shas 'Le myself. :P

Fixed :P

filthy wrote:Really great idea. And it looks killer too. I'm just starting my cadre so I will be adding these markings to my firewarriors and my WIP 'O.
A bodygaurd designation would be pretty sweet as would a mark to show that a unit is bonded.

I've added examples... bodyguard rank emlem extended upward as if they are reaching to higher places... their training for command.

Bonded... a stylised knifey thing. Hows that look?

Wolfs16 wrote:Okay, now that looks great! It makes a lot of sense and seems very doable. The only one that looks too complicated is the Pathfinder, but that is a small gripe.

I am gonna have to make these additions to my army!

I've simplified the Pathfinders a bit...better?

Zhege wrote:Aaw, I had the same idea! :dead: Only my system is much less organised.

Do you have markings for leaders of a tank squadron? Or does that just use the basic rank markings?

I had put in a squadron of tanks commander... but I've now also included the commander of the Armoured cadre... a devilfish variant of unknown design... for now.

Anything else missing? :D

Far Future East

Mabrothrax
Por

Post#12 » Aug 12 2011 04:37

I like it a lot, surprised no-one had already tried to do likewise :)

Mek'an'ik wrote:Anything else missing?

Ethereal (transport, honour guard)
Hazard suit (XV9)
Tetra
Remora stealth drone
Heavy gun drone, inc m/l variant
Barracuda
Manta
Tigershark (variants)
Orca
Air caste pilots/ground crew
Defence turret
Technical drone
alternate hammerhead turrets
Gue'vesa
Vespid

:crafty:
Have you quiet finished being strange?

R'alai
Por

Post#13 » Aug 12 2011 05:36

He mentioned that he was only doing fire caste, not aux and aun/kor

Mek'an'ik
Fio

Post#14 » Aug 12 2011 05:51

Mabrothrax wrote:I like it a lot, surprised no-one had already tried to do likewise :)

Mek'an'ik wrote:Anything else missing?

Ethereal (transport, honour guard)
Hazard suit (XV9)
Tetra
Remora stealth drone
Heavy gun drone, inc m/l variant
Barracuda
Manta
Tigershark (variants)
Orca
Air caste pilots/ground crew
Defence turret
Technical drone
alternate hammerhead turrets
Gue'vesa
Vespid

:crafty:

Challenge Accepted!

R'alai wrote:He mentioned that he was only doing fire caste, not aux and aun/kor

True, but I figured if there was a demand for it, I would expand it to encompass everything.

Ok It'll take me a bit, but I will re-jig it and add everything else in this list to make everything as complete as possible!

When it's finished it should hopefully be a compendeum for every unit in the Tau arsenal, but be flexible enough to be expanded when new models are released or if people come up with other variants or ideas.

I am open to submissions if anyone has any neat ideas! Im trying to make the signals as easy to paint as I can... kind of why they are so samey, but its a trade-off between paintability by the majority of people and intricate details and unique ideas.

Should have something by the end of the day!!

Mek

Far Future East

Kles'ro
Shas

Post#15 » Aug 12 2011 08:19

Very good work overall. I just have two comments to make.
1. I don't think whether they are bonded or not is represented in the rank paint. IIRC, it is represented by the leader carrying the bonding knife and/ or a knife stenciled in on the teams armor.
2. What happens when you get to multiple crisis teams? Or more than 2 Firewarrior teams? I think it could begin to get pretty extensive once you get to that level.
Know the enemy and yourself, and fear not 1000 battles

strategem
Shas

Post#16 » Aug 12 2011 10:21

This is really cool. What are you using to apply them to miniatures? Are you free hand painting them? Creating Transfers? Stenciling?

Also for the Railhead/Ionhead where should the markings go for them? I imagine on the turret somewhere for swap-ability but I am curious as to your thoughts.

Are you ok with others doing this as well? Since I am just painting up the first of my Tau it is a perfect time to get on board with this if I can get a good method together for application.

Mek'an'ik
Fio

Post#17 » Aug 12 2011 05:53

strategem wrote:This is really cool. What are you using to apply them to miniatures? Are you free hand painting them? Creating Transfers? Stenciling?

Also for the Railhead/Ionhead where should the markings go for them? I imagine on the turret somewhere for swap-ability but I am curious as to your thoughts.

Are you ok with others doing this as well? Since I am just painting up the first of my Tau it is a perfect time to get on board with this if I can get a good method together for application.

I was going to free hand them... but creating transfers doesnt sound like too bad of an idea..

For swapability I would suggest the turret... but I tend to see them most on the front wings of the tank, but anywhere you fancy really.

Do you mean suggesting icons? or using them? I would love both!

Kles'ro wrote:Very good work overall. I just have two comments to make.
1. I don't think whether they are bonded or not is represented in the rank paint. IIRC, it is represented by the leader carrying the bonding knife and/ or a knife stenciled in on the teams armor.
2. What happens when you get to multiple crisis teams? Or more than 2 Firewarrior teams? I think it could begin to get pretty extensive once you get to that level.

1. your right on the bonded... dropped.
2. you're right on the extensivity of it.... see new image!

What is thoughts on new bit?

Far Future East

Mabrothrax
Por

Re: Tau Squad Marking Scheme - Updated

Post#18 » Aug 13 2011 02:52

Now that is excellent work! I would advocate creating two pdfs for those who print there own transfers - one black and one white (black outlines).

:biggrin:
Have you quiet finished being strange?

Return to “Painting & Artwork”