ATT Challenge 2011 Prizes Project Log - The ARC-16

Post and discuss techniques, advice and your latest projects.
Duredhel
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: ATT Challenge 2011 Prizes Project Log

Post#19 » Oct 29 2011 07:38

@sLai Gor'Don Rams'Aye's Kitchen Mon'tau? *is a Kitchen Nightmares fan*

Step 4

Finally, after all the greyscale is set, I overlay basic colors over the image. Quite a straightforward step.

Step 5

Finally, I add some extra color overlays to simulate global lighting as well as glow effects and highlights. These small details might seem inconsequential, but they really add another dimension to the finished image;

And finally, a little extra, just for fun;

I hope you guys are enjoying the processes for these images!
Next week I start up on Wolfs16's massive (and I mean massive, there's plot and characters and maybe even villagers) first place pic!
As usual, I appreciate any feedback and congratulations to Bluedestiny. There's also a transparent background version of the image, so if blue wishes, I can UL that as well, or send it to him via PM.

Cheers!

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#20 » Oct 29 2011 08:34

Another beautiful picture! I love the colors and the pose of each character is just plain fun to look at!

I'm really excited to see my picture! :biggrin:

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#21 » Oct 29 2011 08:47

Gorgeous work, love the small details and I think the Chef's skin strikes me as one of the best finishes you have done for Tau. Looks almost like he stepped out of a Marvel comic.

It has been great to follow your process these last couple of weeks :)

- Tael.

bluedestiny
Shas

Post#22 » Oct 30 2011 04:29

THANK YOU DUREDHEL!!! Truly a amazing work, i'm so printing this pic and stick it on my army case :D I love it, can't wait to see Wolf's one :D

Duredhel
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: ATT Challenge 2011 Prizes Project Log - The ARC-16

Post#23 » May 21 2013 07:58

After an embarassingly long time (so sorry guys) and a LOT or RL commitments which ate up my time and money (which meant any time I had to do art had to go towards commissions) I am back to fulfill my commitments. I've already discussed the details of a new illustration with Wolfs16 and, since this is the most complex 40k picture I've attempted so far, I wanted to log my progress in this thread. My objective is to get as close as possible to Codex level art while retaining my sanity.

The process starts with some small thumbnail sketches to figure out the composition, light quality, elements, etc. I picked the best ones and sent them to Wolfs so he could decide which one I should go with...

Image Image
*click for bigger images

MODELGLUE Eio'Y
Kor'El
Kor'El

Post#24 » May 21 2013 08:06

Excellent sketches Duredhel!

If I may, the one on the left seems to me more realistic, while the right seems more dramatic/heroic from my perspective. I like the movement in both and that you have taken what appears to be an approach that lets you skew the horizon. Maybe I'm reading too much into it (but that is what we do right?), but those were my first thoughts.

I'm looking forward to the rest,

modelglue

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#25 » May 21 2013 08:56

I think I need a little help with this decision, guys. I like the pose of Lar'shi in the right picture, but the compilation of the rest of the units is great in the left one. Perhaps you could copy the pose of the picture on the right? I think I prefer everything in the first picture with the exception of the pose.

Would it be tough to change it?

Nevar
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#26 » May 21 2013 09:40

I like the overall layout of the first picture myself, but prefer the pose of the commander in the second as well as the inclusion of the kroot in the foreground as your cadre has a good kroot focus.

Duredhel
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#27 » May 22 2013 12:20

I can incorporate the pose of the commander in the second image into the first. The angle won't be the same because the position of the camera is different though. I'll edit the sketch and repost it tomorrow.

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#28 » May 22 2013 08:29

Thanks! Oh and I agree with Nevar about adding another Kroot in there somewhere. Maybe have a few silhouetted in the background?

Duredhel
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#29 » May 22 2013 05:44

Let's see...

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#30 » May 22 2013 06:17

Okay, I think we have a winner! I love it!

Return to “Painting & Artwork”