ATT Challenge 2011 Prizes Project Log - The ARC-16

Post and discuss techniques, advice and your latest projects.
Duredhel
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

ATT Challenge 2011 Prizes Project Log - The ARC-16

Post#1 » Sep 23 2011 03:02

Duredhel here.

As many of you know, I am in charge of providing the prizes for this year's ATT challenge, which resulted in several extraordinarily crafted, modeled and conceptualized entries. Three entries, however, were picked as the public's favourites; Wolf16's, PidGinRat's and Bluedestiny's. As such, each of them is entitled to one or more illustrations, and after checking in with them on their preferences, I'm starting this small project log to share the process of creating these illustrations with the ATT community.

First off, all three of the winners were entitled to a custom made avatar, and considering these are the fastest to make, i'm starting with a step by step log of how I make these quick avatars.

Step 1 - Sketch Phase

The first step is to make a quick, rather simple sketch of the characters in the avatars. These sketches were made using a Wacom tablet, directly on photoshop, however, scanned in pencil sketches work just as well, if not better. The sketches don't have to be particularly clean or detailed, as they will be almost entirely painted over afterwards.

ImageImageImage

Step 2 - Masking

Masking is simply separating the parts of the image that are to be painted from the background. While many artists use a variety of layers to obtain more control, I work almost entirely in one layer. To mask the image I simply painted in the sketch with a single grey color on Pain Tool SAI and then flattened both layers.

ImageImageImage

To be continued....

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Re: ATT Challenge 2011 Prizes Project Log

Post#2 » Sep 23 2011 07:19

Very cool. We have a similar process, though I lack a Wacom :::(

I also fall under the category of multi-layer Masking. I tend to do effects right to the edge of some colour sections.

Great art, looking forward to the follow up!

- Tael.

bluedestiny
Shas

Post#3 » Sep 23 2011 08:51

They are looking great!!!! can't wait to see the rest of the progress. Thanks for all you time and effort Duredhel, keep it up mate.

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#4 » Sep 23 2011 11:55

These....are so awesome! I LOVE the way my Master Shaper is turning out. It just looks so dang cool! About how long does it take you to get to this point in the drawing phase?

Also, the two other drones looks really cool! There is a genuine sense of personality coming from each and the perspective you've chosen to draw them from is perfect. Looking forward to seeing how things come along!

Duredhel
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#5 » Sep 24 2011 03:04

Glad you guys are liking it. The sketching and masking took about 10 mins per pic, so probably 30-45 minutes for all three.

Step 3 - Greyscale Painting

The technique I use to paint is called grisaille, in which I overlay colors over a greyscale painting of the image. Basically when the sketch and the mask are brought together on one laters, I can blend the greys with the black of the lines in Corel Painter to obtain definition and detail without having to ink the image.

ImageImageImage

to be continued...

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#6 » Sep 24 2011 10:24

Hahaha.. oh the irony. When I convert a selection of your avatars to make variations aligned to the ATT scheme, I drop them back to Greyscale and do the exact same thing :D
Never knew there was a word for it, just did it. A lot of my design work is 'just what I do' and I regularly get phrases and catchy bywords thrown at me for my edu-ma-kayshun. The design industry is so clique and they use all sorts of exotic words to sound different and smart, provide impressive sounding rationales.

So Mr.Client, we decided to use a grisaille technique to enrich your imagery with texture and lighting options then overlay various pantone colour selections to enhance their appeal as part of your overall Brand presence and visual projection.

verse:
Well, I'm going to do it in grey tones, then slap some colour on it in various places so it looks like your company colours.

Very nice textures in these pieces all the same. Just reminded me of many meetings I have with studio types as a freelancer. :)

- Tael.

Duredhel
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#7 » Sep 25 2011 09:03

Step 4 - Color

Rather straightforward step, I simply create an overlay layer over the greyscale and paint on it.

ImageImageImage

Step 5 - Final Adjustments

Finally, I paint in some texture and some color overlays to set an overall tone, as well as glowing effects.
ImageImageImage

Aaaand done!.

Next up, the second prize full body pic.

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#8 » Sep 25 2011 10:25

Oh my God. You have really brought one of my models to life! I'm sorry I keep gushing in my posts, but I really like it! The coloring on all the pictures really brings out the true character. Looking forward to more!

bluedestiny
Shas

Post#9 » Sep 25 2011 11:34

woooooooo!!!! that is amazing!!! Fit for my master chef drone!!!! Truly great stuff, can't wait till everything is all done!!!

Duredhel
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#10 » Sep 25 2011 11:54

Thanks guys. Remember that the illustrations count as 'belonging' to the winner of the corresponding prize, so they're free to use them for whatever they'd like (with proper credit whenever possible ;) )

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#11 » Sep 26 2011 02:51

Quality stuff. Thanks for going through your process. Enjoyed seeing how you went about your avatar artwork Duredhel :)

Looking forward to the expanded pieces coming up!

- Tael.

PidGinRat
Shas

Post#12 » Sep 27 2011 02:14

Looks great Duredhel! Thanks for donating your talents to this sweet prize- the Tractor Drone looks better than the model!

-PGR

Duredhel
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#13 » Oct 23 2011 12:45

Second Prize, Drone Cook Team;

Ok, so the first step for this image is the same as with the previous one, after several sketches to define a position and distribution of elements on the picture, I pick the one I think is best;

Step 2 is masking the image. In this case each element is on a different layer so I can paint them and move them independently. When you have different elements of the image in different planes, it's best to mask them all separately so you can adjust them afterwards and simulate distance from the observed (using opacity, hue, saturation changes, etc).

Zhege
Shas

Post#14 » Oct 23 2011 04:11

It looks like a motivational poster! Or something to recruit people into the cooking industry, but either way it's awesome as always :biggrin: .

bluedestiny
Shas

Post#15 » Oct 23 2011 09:25

Duredhel!! That is looking amazing and exactly how I imagined the picture would be. Keep up the great work mate, truly terrific.

My apologies for that word used :p
Last edited by Wolfs16 on Oct 24 2011 10:23, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary language.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#16 » Oct 25 2011 05:31

Top stuff, love the heroic angles. Look forward to the colouring and extra sfx :)

- Tael.

Duredhel
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#17 » Oct 28 2011 12:48

Glad you guys like how this is going so far!

Here is the second to last step, gray scale painting.

sLai
Shas

Post#18 » Oct 28 2011 05:18

Top notch stuff!

Duredhel wrote:Glad you guys like how this is going so far!

Here is the second to last step, gray scale painting.

Aun'O Gor'Don Rams'Aye? I bet he's from Vior'La..
And an Ukos'Vesa on the left ;)

Return to “Painting & Artwork”