Riptide Critique Please

Post and discuss techniques, advice and your latest projects.
Dark Hope
Gue'La
Gue'La

Riptide Critique Please

Post#1 » Jun 22 2017 03:07

I recently started warhammer about 4 months ago. After 3 months of painting and learning the basics I thought I'd move on to serious painting. I spent about 80-100 hours on this riptide for a store competition and thought I'd ask everyone here what I should work on to help me improve.

I spent most of my time line highlighting honestly. I used mephiston as my base, evil suns as my red highlight. Abandon for my black with mechanicus highlight. Mechanicus for my grey with administratum highlight. Ironbreaker, leadbelcher, and stormhost with a tiny touch of hashut copper for my metals. Flash gitz yellow for the caution stripes. Calador sky, temple guard, and white scar for fusion and energy effects. Wash was nightshade. I felt like nuln oil was too light.

I used a heated paperclip and burnt toothpick for the battle damage, filling it in with ironbreaker.

Any constructive criticism is welcome =^_^= FOR THE GREATER GOOD!

Frontal pic
If kroot eat orks, doesn't that make them omvivores?

Dark Hope
Gue'La
Gue'La

Re: Riptide Critique Please

Post#2 » Jun 22 2017 03:07

Side pic with shield and fusion gun effects

Bolter damage from an aircraft and hit on faceguard

Close-up on leg and deep shot damage.
If kroot eat orks, doesn't that make them omvivores?

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jun 22 2017 04:18

cant critique, only admire...

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Jun 22 2017 04:35

I can't see the highlights on the red, while I can see the highlights on the grey :) There you go!
The days of goodly English is went
Ziss old dog still has a few tricks!

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jun 22 2017 04:43

Bloodknife92 wrote:I can't see the highlights on the red, while I can see the highlights on the grey :) There you go!

That would be my only critique as well. The red looks like it could need slightly brighter edge highlighting. ^^

russ29
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Jun 22 2017 04:46

The red could certainly use some more edge highlighting(as other posters have said) with a bit of orange at the corners to make it pop even more at some areas such as the thigh armour plates, and also I feel it could be more weathered, or more damaged at some parts instead of just having it near the head. I like your blue lights though and they look really good. Anyway overall nice work! Just that some parts can be pushed further if you have the time!
Through unity, devastation

pilky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Jun 22 2017 04:58

As others have said, the red highlighting could be stronger, but that may just be down to the photo and it may look fine in person. If you do go for a step lighter on corners and such then Wild Rider Red is a good option.

Your energy glow is fantastic. Did you use a brush or an airbrush? I usually can't get anything anywhere near as good without an airbrush. And in general you painting is great, very crisp.

The one criticism I have for future models though, is to spend a bit more time prepping. There are some mold lines in places, you can see where parts were clipped off the sprue, and you can see joins between parts. Sometimes these can be to your advantage (I use the mold line on the front of tau tanks as a line to paint up to) but often you want to eliminate them. For smaller gap filling, Liquid Green Stuff and some fine wet/dry sandpaper works well for getting a clean finish. But ultimately it comes down to personal preference. I'm just a bit anal about sorting such things out (and even then I'll miss them sometimes)

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Jun 22 2017 05:41

Other than what was already said; There could be more shading in the crevasses (esp. on the thigh armor plates), some details feel like they're unfinished and shouldn't be in red like the rest(the nob on crotch armor, features on top of right chest-thruster, feet and side of heavy burst cannon, above the yellow/black striped part), I'm also not a fan of the farsight decal, but only because the circle seems ~2mm too big, though of the 3 sizes that are on the old decal page(5mm, 12mm, 15mm), what you used is probably the best one for the spot so take this as a useless nitpicking.

materpillar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#9 » Jun 22 2017 09:56

For starters the riptide paint job is truly quite stellar. But you asked for critiques and the weakest parts of the model for me are the base and pose. I can't really tell what's going on in the base (snow?) and the bright white is distracting from your red paint job. The pose isn't bad, it's just a very basic riptide pose.

The bullet damage seems to tell a story about what's happening but the basing/posing don't add to that at all.
----- Akul Contingent -----
Engagement Results 54-18-8

Overheal
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Jun 22 2017 03:46

So the battle damage is wonderful, and the pain job is nice and even. The highlighting on grey is kewl. YOUVE ONLY BEEN PAINTING FOR THREE MONTHS????? :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead:

Critiques...

As said above, the pose is very generic, making it more of a gamepiece than a centerpiece. But a very pretty one at that. If that is what you need, leave it be, because army uniformity is always a thing, and once you get deep in the details, you pretty much have to do so across the board, but if you're into that, here we go. *Note* I'm giving you a lot here, as a newish painter! What you have is absolutely great, going off that standard. Most people will go unpainted for years on their stuff, some will just spraypaint and half-ass it, but this took love. Be proud!

Now, opportunities:

Hardly worth mentioning because who really does it, is flashlines, not the ones you normally file out, but looking at the join lines where parts glue together the seams are there. Was suggested to use liquid green stuff on these joins then file away after a few hours of drying. Top of left shoulder, can see there the mold gat was clipped off the piece for instance. Also see the top of the chestpiece/cockpit hatch, two dots where the plastic didn't smooth out. Hard to mess with though!

In between the armor plates, in the grooves, you just mainly left the overcoat. This causes details to really mute, like the little sensor pod on the right leg plate, beneath the burst-cannon's sighting system, all those cylindrical pips and support rafts all look plain. The feet, especially, have details which aren't highlighted/drawn out. Even just outlining these in black or nuln oil would make many of these finer details jump out. By the same token, a red inkwash of some kind will make other recesses in the armor look quite good as well. Back to the top of left shoulder, all that area behind the shoulder plate is a load of solid color.

You did some grey paneling on the legs and one stripe on the left of the torso, but the chest panel doesn't have this, the the arms don't either and aside from the joints are all red. Same with the BC. There's a tau symbol right in the middle of the torso, a smaller one, that is left red as well. There's a lot of sculpted details that go unappreciated.

Bullet damage is just super cool.

You could apply hardlighting effects to the helmet lens, but more noticeably, like down at the cod'piece: all around the model there are plain spherical dots that usually jut out a little bit, its my understanding these are lenses so that the mobile suit pilot can see all around the chassis. Instant boost to the level of detail to paint these that way. Lens/soulstone painting tutorials its all the same. For the Farsaight Enclaves scheme, either green or blue lenses would be complementary, but blue would clash less and have the side bonus of tying the model thematically a little bit to the snowy base. You painted one by the bullet damage to be silver. To be fair, most hobbyists ignore these, but I always liked gundam and stuff and im studying Mech engineering so I think about this stuff :P Incidentally, those two side by side "pips" on the BC, below the sight, above the "caution" scheme? Those aren't lenses, those are retaining locks I think. They'd also look good black. Those spots on the ankles could be either regarded as mechanical fasteners or as lenses. Top of the feet are probably lenses.

If you wanted to learn something else new (i havent done this) look up metal heat fatigue painting effects. I understand they aren't especially difficult, and you might be able to make that work on the burst cannon to give it a more eye-catching look, and it's one of those 'nice details' that you won't find yourself having to replicate out to most of your army due to a limited number of large BCs.

Here's mine, and I'm not saying its better or anything: as a gamepiece it's terrible because of wobbly-model syndrome, I customized the jump jets which up close you're like "derp greenstuff", And tried to make this beast hover. The ion cannon is a half-painted sloppy mess, I tried to learn plasma glow and it derped. And if you look closely, I haven't even got around to painting that power conduit between the arm and the cannon! The flying stem has snapped more than once, hence building up the base with rocks, which is heavy, and again lends itself to being a cumbersome gamepiece. And the brushtroking is awful, this was before I watered down my paints. But I want to illustrate my critiques with an example, with the outlining, the color-alternation, and the close-up details. Oh, and my local store either likes or despises my color scheme, there's no in between :dead:

about the one thing I will be proud of to my grave is the posing, he looks ready to take out some Zaku.

But you can hopefully spot the black outlining i did between all/most of the details, the chassis-lensing, and the color alternation I'm referring to. All the same you've done a fantastic job, and if this pace holds you will be taking commissions by christmas.

edit: last note, magnetize early, magnetize often

Return to “Painting & Artwork”