The Cult of Farsight (Previously Juicy's Farsight Enclave)

Post and discuss techniques, advice and your latest projects.
Juicy Fruit
Shas

The Cult of Farsight (Previously Juicy's Farsight Enclave)

Post#1 » Jul 19 2017 03:58

Hello ATT,

I have spent the last 5 weeks experimenting with painting techniques and colours schemes. I originally intended to paint my army white with orange for the sept markings but found I was rather attached to my sanity. I settled on red, khaki, grey and gold.

Armor:
Mephiston Red - Base
Jokaero Orange - Highlights
Agrax Earthshade - Wash

Cloth:
Karak Stone - Base
Karak + Pallid wych flesh - Highlight
Agrax Earthshade - Wash

Grey:
Dawnstone - Base
Administratum Grey - Highlight

Gold
Karak Stone - Base
Liberator Gold - Layer
Runefang Steel - Highlight

Painting Order:
1. Grey primer then white primer
2. Base colours applied
3. Wash applied
4. Highlights applied
5. Highlights touched up with base colour
6. Wash applied (missing the highlights)

I am pleased with how he has turned out. The process has taught me a lot and I am keen to experiment further to achieve better (and faster) results. For my next fire warrior I will be focusing on getting more subtle colour variations & gradients by adding a step, made with 50:50 base and highlight, between the highlight and base colours. I would also like to try the texture paints for my bases.

Your comments will be greatly appreciated!
Last edited by Juicy Fruit on Aug 02 2017 03:28, edited 1 time in total.
Primum conatus pessimi

SniperTau
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Juicy's Farsight Enclave

Post#2 » Jul 19 2017 04:06

Nice start! I like the colours present on the model. Most enclaves forces have a slightly different scheme, but I dig that red and khaki.
Can't wait until you paint more. What are you doing for the base? I think a dark grey would make the model pop more than a sandy or snowy base.

Tau'va

Sniper

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jul 19 2017 04:08

Very smooth edge highlighting! Love it!

Overheal
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Jul 19 2017 04:18

This scheme looks superb!

Texture paints are very straightforward. https://www.games-workshop.com/resource ... Paints.pdf

I use an Orange/Purple fatigues scheme and keep the bases kinda highland-ish. Stirland Mud usually splotched with patches of Agrellan Earth, highlighted with green in places and washed with camoshade/earthshade (i kinda forget which, not terribly different). Gives the effect of dry patches of dirt surrounded by patches of grass and moss + rocks that are still retaining moisture.

Juicy Fruit
Shas

Post#5 » Jul 20 2017 05:02

Thank you for the kind words.

SniperTau wrote:What are you doing for the base? I think a dark grey would make the model pop more than a sandy or snowy base.

I've been so focused on getting the models right I haven't given it much thought. I like your idea of something that will emphasise the colours on the model. I've been looking here for ways to use the sand that I already own. I will also be taking my model to a games workshop that has example bases for each of the texture paints on display to explore all options. Updates to follow!
Primum conatus pessimi

Juicy Fruit
Shas

Post#6 » Aug 02 2017 03:28

Below is the latest fire warrior I have painted. I've tried steel legion drab for the khaki and have gone for more minimal highlights. I have photographed him on both a desert base and a grey base to help me make a final decision so let me know what you think!

Cult of Farsight
Discontent with the Ethereal's leadership, these T'au have set out from <spet> to unite with a more worthy leader.

Edit: Less is more
Last edited by Juicy Fruit on Aug 03 2017 02:35, edited 2 times in total.
Primum conatus pessimi

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Re: The Cult of Farsight (Previously Juicy's Farsight Enclave)

Post#7 » Aug 02 2017 11:02

Desert base definitely works better. It also fits your color scheme better from a fluff perspective.

To the Farsight 'problem': you don't really need a fancy narrative to explain your red armor. Just say that your guys are deployed in an environment where red armor plating helps to blend in. An iron rich desert would work really well with the color combination of your armor and undercloth for example.

Return to “Painting & Artwork”