How to paint panel lines?

Post and discuss techniques, advice and your latest projects.
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

How to paint panel lines?

Post#1 » Jul 20 2017 01:49

To paint panel lines on my infantry and tanks (for example, the line on the top of a Fire Warrior's helmet, the lines on their shields, or the thin grooves on a Hammerhead) what technique should I use?

Should I carefully apply a black wash into the groove, then wipe away the excess? Or should I base the model black and use a less-wet brush, avoiding getting any paint into the groove entirely?

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Re: How to paint panel lines?

Post#2 » Jul 20 2017 02:01

Undercoat black and be careful to not paint over the lines is what I try to do most of the time. :D

I also tried to "paint" the lines where I screwed up with a black fineliner, however I have yet to find one that's fine enough.

Knives
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jul 20 2017 02:07

Well I have some helpful advice on washes and ink.

I used a combination of washes and inks to get my fists the way I wanted. Link below.

Simply I used watered down yellow and black ink increasing or decreasing the amount of yellow or black ink as needed. Darker in the recesses, less ink to wash the whole model.

I think you could get away with black ink and grey or white ink. You might also look up Nards Nids he has an interesting technique for whitish looking things. I also suggest OFF White. Like a eggshell or cream color. More Forgiving and you can make it look whiter like an illusion with with white highlights. Brighter the color the less it stands out. Hope that helps.

Oh And Aim for Subtle. Less is more.

https://imgur.com/t/40k/jmimV

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Jul 20 2017 02:59

I found washes to have too little pigment to be worth using for this. For larger grooves like in vehicles/battlesuits, I use citadel black base just watered down a bit with lahmian medium(you might wanna use some "flow aid" if you have it availible), applied with a blunt injection needle. For something as small as FW helmet I usually down bother doing a black line but i would just do a thin black line with a brush.

(Aaaand edge highlight after that...)

pilky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Jul 20 2017 03:50

It can all depend on your colour scheme. But mostly I apply my base coat, wash the recesses, then touch up (either with the base coat or with a lighter colour). This often leads to darker recesses, but ones that still match with the colour scheme (pure black can be a bit too much).

You also need to work out exactly which wash to use. It can be tempting to default to nuln oil to make things darker, up other shades may be better. Agrax Earthshade for reds & browns, Coelia Greenshade or Beil-tan green for greens, Drakenhof Nightshade or Druchii Violet for blues and purples, etc

Bel'kro
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Jul 20 2017 03:54

I would personally recommend this blog.

http://taleofpainters.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/tutorial-how-to-paint-tau.html?m=1

I have found the advice here to be fantastically useful, and you can extrapolate the techniques used here to pretty much any miniature that you paint.
Legend says his name contained over 20 apostrophes!

Atzilla
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Jul 20 2017 05:27

I use flory model washes, especially for tanks.
Paint Base Colors, use semigloss varnish, soak miniature in wash, wipe off ecxess. Proceed to highlighting.

http://www.florymodels.co.uk/washes/
Last edited by Atzilla on Jul 20 2017 06:04, edited 1 time in total.

Adas
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Jul 20 2017 05:30

For bigger models I use Tamiya Panel Liner.

Overheal
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Jul 20 2017 12:08

The grooves on infantry are so small that you're best to basecoat them dark, then be careful not to paint over them again. Multiple thin coats helps a lot here. I've used inkwashes to put it back in, but you could also paint a fine line in the groove too with thinned down dark paint.

Antao
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Jul 20 2017 12:17

After much pain with this process I've found that it depends on the size of the model.

For infantry I use watered down paint on a fine detail sized brush and apply carefully. The grooves aren't deep enough to cause the paint to run via the next method which is by far the easiest:

For larger models (battlesuits, Tanks and up) Coat the model well with a satin varnish, thin down oil paint with a thinning agent like white spirit, load up a brush and tap in the panel line you're trying to paint. The paint will freely flow all along the panel line with no effort. It's really amazing when you master this technique as you actually look forward to painting panel lines as its the easiest part of painting.

Deet
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#11 » Jul 20 2017 12:59

I find commercially bought washes and inks to be crap. Particularly the GW ones. I've had great success with oil paint, particularly on larger models, but also on smaller ones. A little oil paint mixed with mineral spirits/white spirits to make a wash, slather it on and let it partially dry. You can then go back over with a cloth/cotton swab damp with some mineral spirits to clean up the areas you don't want. Comes right off and works like a charm. Because you're mixing your own, you can control how much pigment you want.
That said, on FW helmets, you're probably going to have to just get good at manually painting them in. The recess is usually not deep enough to catch a wash, at least on the older kits I've got. The new breacher kits may be better.

Joe5952
Shas

Post#12 » Jul 20 2017 01:07

I just glob copious amounts of nuln oil into my models, but admittedly I am using them on mostly white Vior'la fire warriors and I like the little bit of a dirty look it gives them. I mostly like it because it's fast and easy; however it doesn't look as finely detailed as the most of the previous suggestions.

Overheal
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Jul 20 2017 01:25

Deet wrote:I find commercially bought washes and inks to be crap. Particularly the GW ones. I've had great success with oil paint, particularly on larger models, but also on smaller ones. A little oil paint mixed with mineral spirits/white spirits to make a wash, slather it on and let it partially dry. You can then go back over with a cloth/cotton swab damp with some mineral spirits to clean up the areas you don't want. Comes right off and works like a charm. Because you're mixing your own, you can control how much pigment you want.

I havent tried this to compare the "crap" comment, but, will say I've seen a 'dipping' method for some models that appears very effective:

https://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dipping_Tyranids

I do still have some of pre 2012 GW Black Ink though, and I've used the old Blue Ink too, and compared to the current line those were messier substances

Knives
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Jul 20 2017 09:32

Deet wrote:I find commercially bought washes and inks to be crap. Particularly the GW ones. I've had great success with oil paint, particularly on larger models, but also on smaller ones. A little oil paint mixed with mineral spirits/white spirits to make a wash, slather it on and let it partially dry. You can then go back over with a cloth/cotton swab damp with some mineral spirits to clean up the areas you don't want. Comes right off and works like a charm. Because you're mixing your own, you can control how much pigment you want.
That said, on FW helmets, you're probably going to have to just get good at manually painting them in. The recess is usually not deep enough to catch a wash, at least on the older kits I've got. The new breacher kits may be better.

mineral spirits?

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#15 » Jul 21 2017 02:58

I usually used inks when doing military models before getting into w40k. And I kept the technique.
I tried:
1- oil paint (humbrol) thinned with white spirit
2- GW/Vallejo paint thinned with water
3- GW/Vallejo thinner with Future floor shine coat
4- pen ink thinned with future floor shine coat
5- 0.1mm wide black pencil

The latter is useful to get clean lines and no swipe residues on yellow/white matt paints but it does not blend in the recess.
Technique 4 don't leave pigments too, but it need an extra varnish coat to avoid ink to flow over time with the air moisture. I use it mostly for shadings over panel lining with a diluted inks. Future is a great produce that flows perfectly.
Technique 3 is my main technique because #1 use cancerous solvents (and achieve the same result) and #2 use water that does not apply well in recesses.

khayman
Shas'Saal

Post#16 » Jul 21 2017 06:17

Before you read any further, please keep in mind that the following suggestions include varnishes and as such work remarkably better with an airbrush or a spray and remarkably worse when none of those is available.

So, varnish is your friend here as it will allow you to do two things :

- exploit a phenomenon called capilary action wherein a concentration of liquid (a wash, in this case) extends itself across a tube (the armour panel, in this case) as a result of surface tension. This means you can simply touch your brush at a single point and the wash will magically spread along the panel. The glossiest the surface, the easier it is for the liquid to do this.

- literally erase mistakes. A gloss varnish will seal the work you've done so far (think of it as a save point, in terms of video games) in that you can wipe any mistakes happening over the gloss layer off. For something as thing as washes, you can literally lick your finger and just wipe the redundant wash off with a couple of strokes. Even heavier stuff like foundation paints can be erased with a brush loaded with thinner (although you need to be patient with it).

Two additional tricks here :

a) if you further want to help the capillary action, wet your brush, dry most of it off and go through the panel with it. This will create a moist (moist, not wet) layer the wash will cling to. However, if you overdo it, you've practically thinned your wash and almost certainly will have to go over it multiple times.

b) although I mention "gloss" a couple of times, your varnish doesn't have to be gloss varnish. It could be satin varnish, which is what I work with. You have to remember that varnishes over metallics will always alter the metallic sheen. Whether that's acceptable or not is up to you.

So, having said all that, my process is :

1. Lay down all the basecoats except metallics.
2. Lay down a layer of satin varnish over everything.
3. Do panel washes following the advice mentioned above
4. Erase mistakes
5. [Optional] Lay down another layer of varnish to seal the work done so far
6. Do metallics
7. Lay down a layer of matt varnish, or, even better GW's Lahmian Medium on any surface you want to be matte.
8. Lay down a layer of gloss varnish on any-non metallic surface you want to be glossy (lenses)

Deet
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#17 » Jul 21 2017 11:29

Knives wrote:
mineral spirits?

Yeah, if you go to any art supply store they should have it. Some parts of the world call it White Spirits.

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#18 » Jul 22 2017 12:19

Deet wrote:
Knives wrote:
mineral spirits?

Yeah, if you go to any art supply store they should have it. Some parts of the world call it White Spirits.

In my country we call it "thinner" (silent "paint", translated to english). Really stupid name as you could use almost anything to thin paint otherwise.

Return to “Painting & Artwork”