Can't decide on a color scheme. Please Help!

Post and discuss techniques, advice and your latest projects.
Froglift
Shas'Saal

Can't decide on a color scheme. Please Help!

Post#1 » Jul 27 2017 03:47

So I have been collecting and assembling (which I realize now will be a BEAST to paint) Tau models for about 4 years now. I'm at the point where I want to start painting and I am hitting a snag. I have several schemes in mind but can't make up my mind.

KEEP IN MIND THAT THESE ARE NOT COMPLETE/FINAL SCHEMES! SUBJECT TO CHANGE

-----1-----

-----2-----

-----3-----

I really like the combination of Navy Blue, White, and Orange. It's a color scheme influenced by the Maliwan weapons in Borderlands 2. Also looks really good on cars.

-----4-----

This one I took from the Oda Clan Yari Ashigaru colors from Total War: Shogun 2 (Love the peasant militia aspect).

-----5-----

Classic Tau. I love all things desert and I think that is what made me choose Tau in the first place.

The main problem is that I also want to start a Militarum Tempestus Squad which is either going to be Green and Tan or Black and Tan and I don't know If I want to paint all my armies tan (although it might fit if they were all fighting for control for the same desert world).

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

-Frog
We are men of action, lies do not become us.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Can't decide on a color scheme. Please Help!

Post#2 » Jul 27 2017 04:23

#1 is absolutely beautiful. White and navy are great colors and orange compliments them well. Give them brown/green grassy bases and that would make for a really cool, striking color scheme.

Juicy Fruit
Shas

Post#3 » Jul 27 2017 07:10

Arka0415 wrote:#1 is absolutely beautiful. White and navy are great colors and orange compliments them well. Give them brown/green grassy bases and that would make for a really cool, striking color scheme.

I agree. The white & orange is also a great choice. White, while looking great on paper, is a problematic colour to paint with. Unlike other colours, white reflects all wavelengths of light and requires a lot of pigment on a surface to prevent lower layers from showing through. Therefore, white paints are thicker and will require several coats to produce a solid colour. There is also nowhere to highlight up to as it is the brightest colour.

I only have experience with spray cans and cannot speak for airbrushes. A can of white spray paint will be your best bet for creating a smooth base coat. I have had good results by priming with grey (giving the white something to stick to) and then applying 3 to 6 coats of white. Spraying in short bursts and keeping the can moving will 'dust' the model with white pigment that will gradually build into a solid colour as you continue to apply coats. Once dry, a coat of thinned white paint will help to bring the layers together creating a quality finish. Before you start shake the can until you hear the pea start moving and then time 2 minutes from there, longer if it is a cold day (20 degrees centigrade or lower).

From there painting agrax earthshade, nuln oil, karak stone or fenrisian grey into the recesses will help to create the shadows that stop the model from looking flat. This tutorial is for white scars but steps 1-4 will give you an idea of what I mean by this.

Best of luck and keep us updated on how it goes!
Primum conatus pessimi

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Jul 27 2017 07:13

Juicy Fruit wrote:White, while looking great on paper, is a problematic colour to paint with. Unlike other colours, white reflects all wavelengths of light and requires a lot of pigment on a surface to prevent lower layers from showing through. Therefore, white paints are thicker and will require several coats to produce a solid colour. There is also nowhere to highlight up to as it is the brightest colour.

This is absolutely true. White is a truly horrible color to paint... but if it works, it's amazing.

Froglift
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jul 27 2017 02:46

If I don't use the highest white to paint the armor will that help? Like maybe an off white using highest white for highlighting? Also if I prime it white how hard would it be for the black?

Froglift
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Jul 27 2017 03:03

I also found this which is a painting tutorial for Vior'la warriors which I could incorporate into my warriors. I really don't like how messy he is with his agrax earthshade though.

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Jul 27 2017 03:23

It would be best to paint a model and see. Could even be a non Tau model just to test the scheme.
This is a sad day for the nobel profession of otter milking -- Knives
Onmyou's Motivation Service

Froglift
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Jul 27 2017 08:55

[quote=Arka0415]#1 is absolutely beautiful. White and navy are great colors and orange compliments them well. Give them brown/green grassy bases and that would make for a really cool, striking color scheme.[/quote]

What do you think would be good GW paint colors for this scheme? Caledor Sky is not dark enough for navy and The Fang is too... purplish in my opinion.
Last edited by Froglift on Jul 29 2017 01:18, edited 1 time in total.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Jul 27 2017 10:33

Froglift wrote:If I don't use the highest white to paint the armor will that help? Like maybe an off white using highest white for highlighting? Also if I prime it white how hard would it be for the black?

It wouldn't be hard to paint the black at all; that said though, the black parts might be hard to reach.

You can also consider using a very light tan or very light grey instead of white, and then highlighting with pure white.

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#10 » Jul 28 2017 10:47

Wow, great color schemes right there! The first one is the most "balanced" in my opinion. Too much orange is way too striking with white. Also the 3rd looks really nice but I am not sure which paints could replicate the colors you chose. Definitely be careful with painting white models (I am by no means an expert but this is just my opinion) cause I see constantly a lot of butchered vior'la/white scars armies at my local gaming store and it is rather painful to look at these models...

Also this FW template looks neat! Where did you find it? I've been loking for that exact one for quite a while back when I was planning my new scheme.
Cheers!
Nix

Froglift
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Jul 28 2017 01:26

nix0n wrote:Also this FW template looks neat! Where did you find it? I've been loking for that exact one for quite a while back when I was planning my new scheme.

I honestly do not remember as I just dug these up out of the archives on my computer. I've been looking for the past hour now and I'm starting to believe the site that it was on might have been remove. I will keep looking though!

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Jul 28 2017 02:37

B&C has a Firewarrior painter template. Right there: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/fwp.php ;)

I didn't get your blue quite right, but this is how your first color scheme would look like with the B&C Firewarrior painter:

Edit: this is how my Forest/Jungle themed Sa'Cea color scheme for a Firewarrior Shas'la looks like. ;)
Spoiler!

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#13 » Jul 28 2017 03:01

Panzer wrote:B&C has a Firewarrior painter template. Right there: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/fwp.php ;)

Majority are pretty aware of the B&C painter which is a nice one no doubt. I was just really looking for that exact one and I am afraid that the older template is completely gone... I myself can't find it either :sad:

Edit: also the pictures don't work. Is that still the photobucket thing?
Last edited by nix0n on Jul 28 2017 03:07, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers!
Nix

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Jul 28 2017 03:04

nix0n wrote:
Panzer wrote:B&C has a Firewarrior painter template. Right there: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/fwp.php ;)

Majority are pretty aware of the B&C painter which is a nice one no doubt. I was just really looking for that exact one and I am afraid that the older template is completely gone... I myself can't find it either :sad:

Majority, but not all. I mainly posted it for Froglift. ;)

Froglift
Shas'Saal

Post#15 » Jul 29 2017 01:17

Panzer wrote:I didn't get your blue quite right, but this is how your first color scheme would look like with the B&C Firewarrior painter:

Unfortunately those are not loading for me as well :(

Froglift
Shas'Saal

Post#16 » Jul 30 2017 01:41

Starting to realize how difficult this is going to be.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#17 » Jul 30 2017 01:48

Froglift wrote:Starting to realize how difficult this is going to be.

What part? We can definitely help!

Froglift
Shas'Saal

Post#18 » Jul 30 2017 02:12

So it is looking like my main problem here is that under really really bright LED light, the navy color looks amazing. If I put it under a typical light that is going to be where I am gaming however, it looks black. Do I need to highlight to make it stand out more? Still pretty new to this painting thing.

Return to “Painting & Artwork”