Can't decide on a color scheme. Please Help!

Post and discuss techniques, advice and your latest projects.
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Can't decide on a color scheme. Please Help!

Post#19 » Jul 30 2017 02:18

Froglift wrote:So it is looking like my main problem here is that under really really bright LED light, the navy color looks amazing. If I put it under a typical light that is going to be where I am gaming however, it looks black. Do I need to highlight to make it stand out more? Still pretty new to this painting thing.

Gotcha. Navy is a tricky color, since it's almost a shade of black, rather than a shade of blue.

When using navy or very dark blue, I'd advice going a shade lighter than your intended color- most game spaces aren't super well-lit and the colors will look a little darker beyond your LED-lit modeling desk.

For highlighting, make sure to use a clearly-distinguishable blue color when you highlight. Tau have plenty of edges and bold lines, making it very rewarding to do simple highlights on your models. A grey or off-white highlight will make navy surfaces look blacker, while a blue highlight will make them look bluer.

Froglift
Shas'Saal

Post#20 » Jul 30 2017 02:34

Froglift wrote:So it is looking like my main problem here is that under really really bright LED light, the navy color looks amazing. If I put it under a typical light that is going to be where I am gaming however, it looks black. Do I need to highlight to make it stand out more? Still pretty new to this painting thing.

Images for reference. Quick concept paint job please ignore how bad they are!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!
ewt ewwetwe tew ewtw ewet[img]http://i.imgur.com/R1VM9Q7.jpg[
/img]

Edit: How do I use spoilers? I thought I did it right.
Last edited by Froglift on Jul 30 2017 02:43, edited 1 time in total.
We are men of action, lies do not become us.

Froglift
Shas'Saal

Post#21 » Jul 30 2017 02:38

Arka0415 wrote:Gotcha. Navy is a tricky color, since it's almost a shade of black, rather than a shade of blue.

Thank you! I will go and test that out!

Raikoh067
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#22 » Jul 30 2017 03:13

White is one of the hardest "colors" to paint on minis. I recommend getting an affordable airbrush setup, total of about $70 for it. It's what I did and it changed my world.

Otherwise, I would make your base coat with a spray paint that goes on thin, and then wash and weather from there. Brushing white paint and actually making it look good is hell on earth.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#23 » Jul 30 2017 05:20

I have a similar problem with my Green since under not optimal light it looks more like grey. The only solutions for that are either some edge highlighting or investing in some proper light for your gaming area. ^^

Knives
Shas'Saal

Post#24 » Jul 30 2017 04:15

Go with 4 !!!! But it's gold not yellow.

I will give you my first child of you go with # 4

Froglift
Shas'Saal

Post#25 » Jul 30 2017 05:13

Knives wrote:Go with 4 !!!! But it's gold not yellow.

I will give you my first child of you go with # 4

I'm going to be doing all of them to get a general idea of what I want.

and thanks but no thanks. Too young for that right now.

Froglift
Shas'Saal

Post#26 » Jul 31 2017 01:03

So I painted the 3rd one...

Obviously not finished but I feel like I just painted a Nerf dart...

I don't know how I feel about it.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#27 » Jul 31 2017 01:21

Froglift wrote:Obviously not finished but I feel like I just painted a Nerf dart...

I don't know how I feel about it.

It's a cool paint scheme, and the colors go together well, but you're right that it looks like a nerf dart. What if you do a lighter blue (the the Sa'cea Sept's traditional camouflage color) but keep the orange and white markings?

Sheeb
Shas'Saal

Post#28 » Jul 31 2017 05:16

White and orange looks sharp to me!

Froglift
Shas'Saal

Post#29 » Jul 31 2017 07:21

None of these are making me happy so far. I painted up each one that I made and it didn't sit right with me. I tried a Lagiacrus theme paint scheme which was just too similar to the Tempestus Scions.

I painted a Farsight Enclave scheme and right now I'm really happy with it. I guess I'm going to go with that and instead of the grey I'm going to use white like T'au Primary. Oh well.

Thank you for all the suggestions though!

Juicy Fruit
Shas

Post#30 » Aug 01 2017 10:28

I am glad you have found a colour scheme that you are happy with. Personally, I thought you nailed it with the navy and orange! I think Macragge Blue highlight or even as light as Hoeth Blue would really complement the dark navy colour.

As you are finding out, trying things is what lets you find out what works best to create the effect you want. To this end I include some ideas below.

1. Thinning Paints
Paint from the pot is quite thick. Applying it straight leads to a 'textured' finish to surfaces. If you look at professionally painted models the paint is smooth and this effect is achieved by using a 50:50 mix of water (or medium) and paint. The coverage of this mixture will be lower so two coats will be needed.

2. Highlights and shadows
This video is well worth a watch to see how his models go from plastic to painted. From 17:45 is specifically about adding shadows and highlights. Being sloppy with the shade and highlight, then touching it all up with the base colours has helped him create fine highlights far beyond what he could have done free hand.
Primum conatus pessimi

Froglift
Shas'Saal

Post#31 » Aug 01 2017 01:03

Juicy Fruit wrote:I am glad you have found a colour scheme that you are happy with. Personally, I thought you nailed it with the navy and orange! I think Macragge Blue highlight or even as light as Hoeth Blue would really complement the dark navy colour.

Thank you! I think the Navy and Orange might work out later on in life when I actually know how to paint well. Right now though I am a complete scrub but I hope to obtain a higher level someday!

My problem is that whenever I thin my paints I tend to thin them too much so that it takes 4 or 5 layers to get it on. It feels more like using a wash. I am using one of those 10 bowl paint pallet things which tends to trap all the water into the center often turning my paint into a wash. Is there a better pallet or technique I should be using to make this work for me?

Froglift
Shas'Saal

Post#32 » Aug 01 2017 01:15

The Final Product (for now):

Now I just have to work on my paint thinning and brush skills to get it to the quality I want.

The base I am trying to go for a desert/swampy world so we will see how it goes.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#33 » Aug 01 2017 01:19

Brush control will come with practice. For a start it's really good work already. :)
For paint thinning a wet palette helps a lot. Check out some youtube tutorials to learn how to make one (it's really simple!). It also keeps your paint longer fresh.

For your base, don't be afraid to put more sand on it to give it some texture!

Oh and a little note at the end: Farsights Sept color is grey, so if you want to be 100% correct to the fluff, your Sept and rank markings should be grey instead of white. ;)

Froglift
Shas'Saal

Post#34 » Aug 01 2017 02:00

Panzer wrote:Oh and a little note at the end: Farsights Sept color is grey, so if you want to be 100% correct to the fluff, your Sept and rank markings should be grey instead of white. ;)

I know. I love the black and red but I didn't want to technically go with the farsight enclaves entirely as they are cool but I don't like some of their views. Something like a rebellion inside the farsight rebellion? I don't know.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#35 » Aug 01 2017 02:03

Froglift wrote:
Panzer wrote:Oh and a little note at the end: Farsights Sept color is grey, so if you want to be 100% correct to the fluff, your Sept and rank markings should be grey instead of white. ;)

I know. I love the black and red but I didn't want to technically go with the farsight enclaves entirely as they are cool but I don't like some of their views. Something like a rebellion inside the farsight rebellion? I don't know.

A rebellion inside the FSE wouldn't make much sense. :D
However if you aren't too much interested in playing FSE from a fluff point of view you could always just take the Sept background fitting to the white markings....the T'au sept. Your guys are simply wearing armor fitting for vulcanic environments. ;)

Juicy Fruit
Shas

Post#36 » Aug 01 2017 05:29

The models look great in red!

Froglift wrote:My problem is that whenever I thin my paints I tend to thin them too much so that it takes 4 or 5 layers to get it on. It feels more like using a wash

Sounds like you are adding too much water. Load your brush with paint and transfer it to your palate then dip your brush into clean water and stir the paint. 50:50 is thrown around a lot but it's more art than science. With a freshly opened pot of layer paint it might be 60/70 paint to 40/30 water. All we are trying to do is add volume to the paint that does not contain any pigment.

I paint a line onto newspaper to judge the consistency. If the line stays crisp and partially obscures the print I know I'm somewhere near. If it looks like it soaks into the paper I've got too much water so I add a bit more paint.
Primum conatus pessimi

Return to “Painting & Artwork”