Help with Sept Colors

Post and discuss techniques, advice and your latest projects.
Knives
Shas'Saal

Help with Sept Colors

Post#1 » Jul 29 2017 11:42

Right So I picked my color scheme for the tau. But I'm trying to figure out a good sept to follow the color I chose.

I wanted something in blue. I decided to go with Cygnar Blue from P3 paint line. Which sept goes with this sept color.

I decided that they are deployed on an amethyst ice planet and will be doing amethyst crystals and snow covered bases. So they will be in purple and white armor. With Blue Sept colors. Now that I understand how the markings works.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Help with Sept Colors

Post#2 » Jul 30 2017 01:00

Blue will fit in well with the camouflage of the armor, but purple and blue are very similar colors. Are you okay with that?

Most players tend to use contrasting or complementing colors for their sept marks. For you, orange and red would be good picks that would really stand out against all that white and purple.

Shas'ui_JB
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jul 30 2017 03:54

Sounds like you have an interesting concept planned, I would also recommend orange and red as Arka has mentioned, if you are looking for a blue to fit in with your ice theme, then you do have the potential to use an icy blue (if you all looking to use P3 paints then Arcane Blue looks like the right kind of shade), but it also depends on what colour you intend to do the lenses, as I would imagine you would want a different colour to your sept marking.

I don't know if you have access to the 7th edition codex, but theres a few schemes in there that might be of some inspiration to you, there is the Bork'an sept that is in a snowscape scheme (light grey armour, dark grey cloth, turqoise marking) a UV nightfighting Vash'ya sept (purple armour, charcoal cloth and a lighter purple marking) and something from Mu'gulath Bay (Blue armour, navy/purple cloth, ice blue marking) again may be of use, there might be stuff online as reference points in terms of fluff, worlds and that kind of thing, maybe one of the other memebers knows a little more on the backstory of those septs than I do :).

Cheers, JB

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#4 » Jul 30 2017 04:40

If you really want to be strictly compliant with the 6th and 7th edition codexes, then your best bets would be Dal'yth (dark blue Sept colour) or D'yanoi (light blue Sept colour).

Really though I wouldn't worry too much about it. Tau aren't Space Marines, with their rigid heraldry, and it's your army, so go for what colour and Sept you want.
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jul 30 2017 05:37

Actually T'au are just as rigid when it comes to their heraldry as Space Marines. Just that we don't show it with our whole armor (and Space Marines wouldn't either if any of them would follow their Codex properly lol).
It's just that our big Septs aren't as fleshed out as the Space Marines first founding Chapter fluff-wise.

Blue on Purple/White will work quite well. Just make sure that the parts where you plan to apply the Sept colors are mostly white for some contrast (helmet, antenna, shoulder guard, ...). And make sure to give your guys proper bases to represent that amethyst/ice environment so everyone can see on the first glance why your guys are wearing purple armor. ;)

Knives
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Jul 30 2017 10:45

7Th ed codex is very specific on sept colors for the battle suits.

What I'm curious about is the Guns on fire warriors and breachers are they supposed to be sept colors?

Is the clothing under the armor plates also in sept colors.

I know the sgt or equivalent shas somthings shoulder pad mid section is the sept color. Not sure about the rest.

Is there no sept colors that are just blue? Not light or dark?

(Edited)

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#7 » Jul 30 2017 03:37

The undersuit is normally camouflage, just like the armour, albeit in a different and complimentary tone. Infantry guns are typically painted just like the armour, with a few dark gunmetal areas to taste.

Shas'Ui wearing a large shoulder-guard typically have the middle panel in the Sept colour and either their whole helmet in the Sept colour (original 3rd edition colour schemes) or the areal (6th edition and onward) in the Sept colour. 'Stripe and dot' Sept markings can be applied to both surfaces, as well as the weapon, if you wish.

No Sept to my knowledge has medium blue as a Sept colour under the post-4th edition system, but I really don't think you'll raise too many eyebrows if you run them as one of the 'blue Septs' with a medium blue. It's your army after all.
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

Return to “Painting & Artwork”