Sa'Cea Sept Panels

Post and discuss techniques, advice and your latest projects.
User avatar
greenman019
Shas
Posts: 27

Sa'Cea Sept Panels

Post#1 » Sep 23 2017 08:07

So I've got a few Tau models now and I'm ready to paint. I narrowed it down to the Sa'Cea sept or the Vior'la sept but I'm leaning towards the former. Found this little picture guide as well:

I'm hoping that if I base coat the models in black, the blue will be a little darker as it's a little too light for my taste. (Also don't know why there's 2 layers of different paints, I'd probably just layer it with the fang or russ grey then edge with fenrisian)

Image


As for the panels, I've seen different methods. Some using grey and others using orange, is there a reason behind this? My first army of Space Marines was fairly easy in this sense to understand.

Image

Image

User avatar
Panzer
Shas'Saal
Posts: 3073

Re: Sa'Cea Sept Panels

Post#2 » Sep 23 2017 08:42

Okay a quick T'au painting guide:

The orange is what is actually the Sa'Cea color, like the red is the Vior'la color.
The Sept color is used to show to which Sept a Firecaste warrior belongs to and his rank (different combinations of antenna, helm and shoulder guard painted in the Sept color. Can be found in the 7th edition Codex).

The blue-ish armor shown with Sa'Cea models usually is just urban camo since T'au usually paint their armor in a color that helps them to blend in with their surroundings depending on where they are deployed. The urban one for Sa'Cea because their world has lots of cities with urban areas.
There are special cases like the Vior'la white with red undercloth which is more of a ceremony armor color and the Farsight Enclave red which Farsight decided to wear to honor the fallen T'au Firecaste warrior (and it's kinda a reverse of Vior'la where he comes from).
So you could paint any Sept in the same blue-ish armor or paint Sa'Cea in red or green or brown armor. It all depends on the narrative you decided for your army. ;)

The grey armor panels on some Battlesuits are just squad markings. Some Battlesuits pilots, especially the ones who underwent the Bonding Knife ritual, decide to paint some of their suits panels in grey (or any other color you decide to, really. Could be a lighter/darker blue than the rest of the armor too) to show they belong together.
Note that for Farsight Enclave, their Sept color already is grey, so they wouldn't do their squad markings in grey normaly.

User avatar
greenman019
Shas
Posts: 27

Re: Sa'Cea Sept Panels

Post#3 » Sep 23 2017 08:57

Panzer wrote:Okay a quick T'au painting guide:

The orange is what is actually the Sa'Cea color, like the red is the Vior'la color.
The Sept color is used to show to which Sept a Firecaste warrior belongs to and his rank (different combinations of antenna, helm and shoulder guard painted in the Sept color. Can be found in the 7th edition Codex).

The blue-ish armor shown with Sa'Cea models usually is just urban camo since T'au usually paint their armor in a color that helps them to blend in with their surroundings depending on where they are deployed. The urban one for Sa'Cea because their world has lots of cities with urban areas.
There are special cases like the Vior'la white with red undercloth which is more of a ceremony armor color and the Farsight Enclave red which Farsight decided to wear to honor the fallen T'au Firecaste warrior (and it's kinda a reverse of Vior'la where he comes from).
So you could paint any Sept in the same blue-ish armor or paint Sa'Cea in red or green or brown armor. It all depends on the narrative you decided for your army. ;)

The grey armor panels on some Battlesuits are just squad markings. Some Battlesuits pilots, especially the ones who underwent the Bonding Knife ritual, decide to paint some of their suits panels in grey (or any other color you decide to, really. Could be a lighter/darker blue than the rest of the armor too) to show they belong together.
Note that for Farsight Enclave, their Sept color already is grey, so they wouldn't do their squad markings in grey normaly.


Thanks :) Didn't know the sept was just the markings etc. Always seen certain colour schemes used with certain septs.

I do like the bluish grey scheme, so will probably give it a go. Maybe keep grey panels and then the commander with the sept colour panels and antennae on helmets.

User avatar
Panzer
Shas'Saal
Posts: 3073

Re: Sa'Cea Sept Panels

Post#4 » Sep 23 2017 09:22

If you want, I can give you a breakdown if which parts to paint in the Sept color to represent the respective rank ('la, 'ui, 'vre, 'o).

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 1509

Re: Sa'Cea Sept Panels

Post#5 » Sep 23 2017 09:31

greenman019 wrote:Thanks :) Didn't know the sept was just the markings etc. Always seen certain colour schemes used with certain septs.

I do like the bluish grey scheme, so will probably give it a go. Maybe keep grey panels and then the commander with the sept colour panels and antennae on helmets.


Yeah, the "sept" color is really just the accent/marking color. The Sa'cea sept has orange as its sept color, but primarily uses blue camouflage. So specifically the phrase "sept color" refers to Sa'cea's orange markings, but really, 99% of people's Sa'cea armies are painted with that blue camouflage color.

User avatar
greenman019
Shas
Posts: 27

Re: Sa'Cea Sept Panels

Post#6 » Sep 23 2017 09:33

Panzer wrote:If you want, I can give you a breakdown if which parts to paint in the Sept color to represent the respective rank ('la, 'ui, 'vre, 'o).



I have I think the 7th edition codes and the new xenos one. So if they're in there I could probably find it save wasting your time.

If not, yes please. :)

User avatar
greenman019
Shas
Posts: 27

Re: Sa'Cea Sept Panels

Post#7 » Sep 23 2017 09:36

Arka0415 wrote:
greenman019 wrote:Thanks :) Didn't know the sept was just the markings etc. Always seen certain colour schemes used with certain septs.

I do like the bluish grey scheme, so will probably give it a go. Maybe keep grey panels and then the commander with the sept colour panels and antennae on helmets.


Yeah, the "sept" color is really just the accent/marking color. The Sa'cea sept has orange as its sept color, but primarily uses blue camouflage. So specifically the phrase "sept color" refers to Sa'cea's orange markings, but really, 99% of people's Sa'cea armies are painted with that blue camouflage color.


It is a very nice colour for Tau IMHO.

User avatar
Panzer
Shas'Saal
Posts: 3073

Re: Sa'Cea Sept Panels

Post#8 » Sep 23 2017 09:47

Yeah they are there but many people don't find it since they put it somewhere in the painting section inbetween. :D

Shas'la = Antenna, helmet and shoulder guard in armor colour.
Shas'Ui = Antenna in Sept color. Helmet in armor colour. (and middle panel of shoulder guard in Sept color if it's not a Battlesuit)
Shas'Vre = Antenna and Helmet in Sept color. Shoulder guard in armor colour
Shas'El = Antenna in armor color. Helmet in Sept color. Kinda hard to find a picture of a full Shas'El model since it's not really a unit in the Codex (yet) and usually fulfills the same role as a Commander anyway.
Shas'O = Antenna, Helmet and middle shoulder guard panel in Sept color. Sept markings on the helmet in armor color.

Special case: some warrior are allowed to wear an inversed color scheme because they are heroes or whateveer (so for Sa'Cea that would mean orange armor and Sept&Rank markings whatever color you decided to paint the armor of the rest of the army).

For reference:
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
greenman019
Shas
Posts: 27

Re: Sa'Cea Sept Panels

Post#9 » Sep 23 2017 10:04

Wow. Great resource. Thanks for the write up, definitely helps mate. :biggrin:

User avatar
Panzer
Shas'Saal
Posts: 3073

Re: Sa'Cea Sept Panels

Post#10 » Sep 23 2017 10:27

You're welcome. Happy painting! :D

User avatar
SinisterSamurai
Kor'La
Kor'La
Posts: 376

Re: Sa'Cea Sept Panels

Post#11 » Sep 23 2017 11:11

Panzer wrote:Special case: some warrior are allowed to wear an inversed color scheme because they are heroes or whateveer (so for Sa'Cea that would mean orange armor and Sept&Rank markings whatever color you decided to paint the armor of the rest of the army)

With the exception of the Infiltration Cadre Burning Dawn, I figured this was reserved for Coalition leaders, thus why Shadowsun, Farsight, and the Dawn of War champions are like that.

User avatar
Panzer
Shas'Saal
Posts: 3073

Re: Sa'Cea Sept Panels

Post#12 » Sep 23 2017 11:27

SinisterSamurai wrote:
Panzer wrote:Special case: some warrior are allowed to wear an inversed color scheme because they are heroes or whateveer (so for Sa'Cea that would mean orange armor and Sept&Rank markings whatever color you decided to paint the armor of the rest of the army)

With the exception of the Infiltration Cadre Burning Dawn, I figured this was reserved for Coalition leaders, thus why Shadowsun, Farsight, and the Dawn of War champions are like that.

Well it definitely is not a common thing and those characters ARE special after all.

To be fair I only found it mentioned twice in the painting section anyway and it's only mentioned casually when talking about some example color schemes.

Image
Image

That's also the reason why my Vespid conversions are wearing orange armor btw. (that and because orange armor with black undercloth kinda fits the wasp/bee theme of the original Vespid lol).

EDIT: heh, the topic about Sept&Rank markings comes up so often, maybe we could pin this whole thread now that we have all the stuff in one place for once. :D

Return to “Painting & Artwork”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests