Do you paint in batches, or one-by-one?

Post and discuss techniques, advice and your latest projects.
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Do you paint in batches, or one-by-one?

Post#1 » Oct 04 2017 11:25

Just curious how people go about painting in general. Do you prefer to paint the base coats on 10 models, then the first layer on 10 models, etc; or do you prefer to paint one model to completion, then move on to the rest?

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Re: Do you paint in batches, or one-by-one?

Post#2 » Oct 05 2017 01:19

Trying to paint in batches but getting so obsessed about details that I fall back to painting one-by-one. :D

But yeah priming, basecoats and easy first layer are batch painted still.

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Oct 05 2017 02:57

I'll start with small batches too. Like, real small batches. I'll start with two to three minis primed basecoated and washed but easily get distracted by my mistakes that I'll start to clean up them one by one on an individual model and so it goes... I end up with six hours spent and barely a single model ready.

Yeh I think I need to figure something much more effective.
Cheers!
Nix

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Oct 05 2017 03:08

Mostly by unit size, so between 3 to 10 models at a time. 18 was the most, but that was too many for me.
This is a sad day for the nobel profession of otter milking -- Knives
Onmyou's Motivation Service

Jhul'vol
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Oct 05 2017 03:36

It really depends on what stage of the model I am and what I'm painting for.

Currently painting very basic tabletop ready to get ready for a GT soon, so painting whole squads at the same time. Normally after the basic layers I switch to 2-3 models at the same time for highlights and shading washes. Finishing with single models for the small details like lenses, marks etc.

On my Tzeentch Arcanites army I do the skin 10 at the same time, then finish them up one by one, because I paint way better quality when going one by one and that army is my painting pride :D

Plainshow
Shas

Post#6 » Oct 05 2017 09:26

As someone who is stretched for time and has never really enjoyed the painting side (I have no natural artistic talent), I batch paint almost everything. I am lucky to have several top tier painters and commission painters in my club, and they have given me awesome advice, tips, and training to streamline my painting, and get the most from the time I can invest. I get tremendous satisfaction from finishing a paint job, despite finding the process painful. Realistic goals and setting a schedule were hugely helpful for me. I have done batches of 30+ at once (Drones and Kroot), and smaller batches of bigger models (3 Ghostkeels, 6 Broadsides). Even most of my HQs get grouped into batches of Infantry or Battlesuit categories. The only thing I haven't routinely batched were my Stormsurges and Riptides (and their variants), and individual models needed for an event.

Draaen
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Oct 05 2017 10:00

It entirely depends on the investment of time for the model and my motivation.

For characters or vehicles I will do them 1 by 1 so that I can really focus on the individual model and get all the details right. A hammerhead and Crisis Suit commander are going to be noticed either for being large or your opponent thinking how do I remove that one model? So the extra effort is warranted.

In general though for larger units I will try to paint them up in units I intend to use. So 12 Fire Warriors if I wanted a full squad or say 3 crisis suits. If it is the first time I am painting up that specific unit I will only do one and tweak it until I am happy with the result. Once I have a standard created I paint the rest of the models and refer back to the standard to ensure they are painted consistently. Less important if your army is more individualistic but the homogeneous nature of Tau is what appealed to me for painting so I wanted to keep my guys consistent.

For those days I just need a pathfinder with a rail rifle or I'm just less motivated to paint I will grab 2 models. One is being painted and the other is drying. It gets a quick return on the time investment as you get some finished models really quickly back. Then I get excited for the next two guys or unit I want to paint.

In general when I am feeling motivated I try to take on the big boring sections of the army. Got a bunch of non special weapon equipped kroot, pathfinders, firewarriors or gun drones? Paint them up first while you have the energy desire and motivation. Then when I am a little tired of the bulk I'll paint something I really want to paint like suits, a guy with a special weapon or a character.
All empires fall you just have to know where to push

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Oct 05 2017 11:53

I go for a completed playable unit. This was my last project, they are on paint sticks with poster tack. It made it easy to be consistent with details I guess. I'm still new at painting

Sheeb
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Oct 05 2017 05:17

Units/troops = 100% batches (so much more efficient!)

Single models = One at at time

Ifrit
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#10 » Oct 06 2017 11:12

I do mine by batches of color. So prime a bunch of things then base coat, then secondary color (all by airbrush) and maybe a third color (still by air brush) then go through with a brush and do one model at a time.

Knives
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Oct 06 2017 12:32

I paint based on colors. I also base coat the sprue first before assembly clean than glue. Next I batch paint by colors. Seems to be the quickest way. Using less paint.

Return to “Painting & Artwork”