Need some painting/color advice and suggestions!

Post and discuss techniques, advice and your latest projects.
Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Need some painting/color advice and suggestions!

Post#1 » Oct 07 2017 03:53

So long story short, I'm going to try painting my Death Guard with Stormvermin Fur and green eyes/lenses. I really like the brownish-gray tone it has (it's the closest we can get to Charadon Granite, RIP :( ), and despite having a horrible consistency for painting, it takes to airbrushing very well. I'm currently doing it over gray primer, though I'm considering white (or at least white zenith 'highlighting' with the primer layer) to make it stand out more.

However, I've run into a bit of a problem. Two, actually:

1: What color works as a highlight for Stormvermin Fur?
2: What color should the metallic trim be? Grungy silver? Patina-laden bronze? Aged gold? Each one has its merits!

Juicy Fruit
Shas

Re: Need some painting/color advice and suggestions!

Post#2 » Oct 16 2017 09:16

The link below if for a tutorial for painting Gandalf. The over-cloak is painted in stormvermin fur and highlighted with dawnstone and administratum grey on steps 13-16.

http://taleofpainters.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/tutorial-how-to-paint-gandalf-from.html

I'd say gold would be your best bet as it will provide a complimentary contrast to your grey-ish base colour. An aged effect will fit well with the decaying death guard theme.
Primum conatus pessimi

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Need some painting/color advice and suggestions!

Post#3 » Oct 17 2017 12:42

Juicy Fruit wrote:The link below if for a tutorial for painting Gandalf. The over-cloak is painted in stormvermin fur and highlighted with dawnstone and administratum grey on steps 13-16.

http://taleofpainters.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/tutorial-how-to-paint-gandalf-from.html

I'd say gold would be your best bet as it will provide a complimentary contrast to your grey-ish base colour. An aged effect will fit well with the decaying death guard theme.

Awesome, thanks! I actually posted this question to the Warhammer Facebook pages, and a color that was suggested to highlight it more towards the neutral brown-ish tones was Karak Stone. I intend to get a pot of it this coming month, see how it works out!

Return to “Painting & Artwork”