Converting my army to different colours

Post and discuss techniques, advice and your latest projects.
Vio'ra Mal'caor
Shas'La
Shas'La

Converting my army to different colours

Post#1 » Oct 24 2017 10:21

OK. So I looked at my painting for the bulk of my army, and I realised this ain't any good. So I've decided to switch. I play Sa'cea sept (though after the second destruction of my army, I rebuilt as Vior'la before repainting back to Sa'cea). A few models in my army (such as my (russ-grey/the-fang, Fire-Dragon-Bright, Auric Armour) riptide) are going to stay the same as they represent 'ace custom' models in my army. However, my Fire Warriors, Pathfinders, Fireblades and other smaller models are getting a revamp. Below is a image of the current scheme (Abadon Black, Fire Dragon Bright, Maccrage Blue & a couple of gem paints I can't remember the name of (and threw away due to expiration)):

This is what I'm going for now. I've bought a ton of relevant colours (most of which I cannot renemebr the names of. I'll possibly get back to you on that). I've recoloured the cloth to a more bluish grey, and chosen a more vibrant yellow. The shoulder inset is now white, so that the sept markings can be for the Sa'cea sept. The grey is lighter, and mildly contrasts the cloth. There is less black as well. I've also chosen a white colour for the gun barrel, as I think it makes my army look more grimbright than grimdark in colour. It's also a more futuristic colour. The Backstory for my new army is that they're the 155th Sa'cea Mobile Infantry, and that they are primarily a land-based planetfall army with focus on mobility and firepower. To further cement the 'mobile' bit, I've added a few coldstars to my army. As a in-joke, I managed to aquire (through the mystical website known as Ebay) a few Starship Troopers Mobile Infantry decals in the same scale as my troops. They apparently come from a bandai plastic kit for the Starship Troopers anime, and are 'correct to the movie insignia'. Unfortuantely, none of them say 'death from above'. Damm. Anyway, here is my new colour scheme:

Enjoy!!
Igne vir renovatur integra

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: Converting my army to different colours

Post#2 » Oct 24 2017 10:55

It looks like your pictures aren't linking properly:

Code: Select all

[img]http://bolterandchainsword.com/fw.php?bp=2E1E1E&hdl=2E1E1E&hdr=2E1E1E&viso=D49311&eyt=1EE8E1&eyb=F5565B&er=D49311&ca=D49311&nk=120606&ch=2E1E1E&chd=D49311&abs=D49311&bt=0A0101&cod=080202&ull=D49311&lk=D49311&lll=2755C2&llld=2755C2&lft=000103&url=D49311&rk=D49311&lrl=2755C2&rft=030000&slt=000000&srt=050303&sri=D49311&slv=0F0303&lla=D49311&lh=030200&rla=D49311&rh=030200&sept=F22202&gunc=594949&gunh=D49311&gund=D49311&rb=030000&stra=D49311&bg=946262&grid=TRUE&[/img]

Code: Select all

[img]http://bolterandchainsword.com/fw.php?bp=877E7E&hdl=877E7E&hdr=877E7E&viso=EDC240&eyt=FFFFFF&eyb=FFFFFF&er=EDC240&ca=877E7E&nk=EDC240&ch=877e7e&chd=EDC240&abs=EDC240&bt=877e7e&cod=EDC240&ull=EDC240&lk=EDC240&lll=547EB8&llld=EDC240&lft=968C8C&url=EDC240&rk=EDC240&lrl=547EB8&rft=968C8C&slt=877e7e&srt=877e7e&sri=F9FAF5&slv=877e7e&lla=EDC240&lh=171414&rla=EDC240&rh=171414&sept=F5AB2C&gunc=FCFCFA&gunh=968C8C&gund=968C8C&rb=5A8F94&stra=050000&bg=140B0B&grid=TRUE&[/img]

You're probably linking to the Bolter & Chainsword painter, right? Try saving the pictures and uploading them yourself to an image-hosting site like imgur. That should work.

Vio'ra Mal'caor
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Oct 25 2017 02:04

UUH...imugur now requires you to upgrade for offline posting. I don't have enough cash left to do that after buying my new XV9 Hazard. My next pay packet is on thursday two weeks from now.
Igne vir renovatur integra

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Oct 25 2017 03:15

Vio'ra Mal'caor wrote:UUH...imugur now requires you to upgrade for offline posting. I don't have enough cash left to do that after buying my new XV9 Hazard. My next pay packet is on thursday two weeks from now.

Uh, no? I have tons of pics on imgur and just added a new one to make sure.

Example pic from my gallery:

PeeJ
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Oct 25 2017 03:26

I've been struggling with deciding on a sept to repaint and was leaning heavily towards Sa'cea. I've started building plenty of urban/tarmac bases now too.

But it seems like everyone and their dog paints Sa'cea now. Plus I feel like i'm rolling the dice on strategems/traits.

With their backstory for stealth and cityfigting, it seems like they will either end up with the Ravenguard/Alpha legion trait (arguably the strongest), or the Imperial Fists trait (unarguably the worst).

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Oct 25 2017 03:29

The Imperial Fists one is the most likely and definitely not the worst lol
A list of tactics/traits/whatever that are worse:
+1LD
re-roll Morale tests
re-roll charge rolls
advance&charge
something fluffy but bad like the Word Bearers one

I'd wait on deciding on a Sept though, unless you decide on one based on fluff reasons.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#7 » Oct 25 2017 03:36

Vio'ra Mal'caor wrote:UUH...imugur now requires you to upgrade for offline posting. I don't have enough cash left to do that after buying my new XV9 Hazard. My next pay packet is on thursday two weeks from now.

I think it's Photobucket that did that. Don't worry, imgur is (and probably always will be) free!

PeeJ wrote:With their backstory for stealth and cityfigting, it seems like they will either end up with the Ravenguard/Alpha legion trait (arguably the strongest), or the Imperial Fists trait (unarguably the worst).

Unless you're wedded to a certain sept for fluff reasons (I'm a T'au Sept player, that won't change unless they really screw with the T'au Sept perk) I wouldn't choose a sept based on assumptions about the sept perk. In all honestly, the best advice is just to not paint your sept marks until the Codex comes out. Though, that could be 4-5 months... it's a tough call right now.

Panzer wrote:re-roll charge rolls

It would be hilarious though if they gave one of our Septs this! :D

PeeJ
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Oct 26 2017 06:03

Arka0415 wrote:
PeeJ wrote:With their backstory for stealth and cityfigting, it seems like they will either end up with the Ravenguard/Alpha legion trait (arguably the strongest), or the Imperial Fists trait (unarguably the worst).

Unless you're wedded to a certain sept for fluff reasons (I'm a T'au Sept player, that won't change unless they really screw with the T'au Sept perk) I wouldn't choose a sept based on assumptions about the sept perk. In all honestly, the best advice is just to not paint your sept marks until the Codex comes out. Though, that could be 4-5 months... it's a tough call right now.

I'm by no means a power gamer, nor am I looking to get the strongest trait. But I'd be pretty miffed if the sept I chose got a really awful trait that essentially meant you were hamstrung when compared to the others.

That's pretty much my issue, I'm not picking a sept based on their trait, but I'm wary of picking a sept then feeling robbed or hard done to by getting a terrible one.

I pretty much wanted to do Sa'Cea based on what little fluff their is and their colour scheme.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Oct 26 2017 06:07

PeeJ wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:

I'm by no means a power gamer, nor am I looking to get the strongest trait. But I'd be pretty miffed if the sept I chose got a really awful trait that essentially meant you were hamstrung when compared to the others.

That's pretty much my issue, I'm not picking a sept based on their trait, but I'm wary of picking a sept then feeling robbed or hard done to by getting a terrible one.

Welcome to the world of Blood Angels player. :D
If you love the fluff you'll somehow pull through though. Definitely better than playing a Sept you don't like just for its rules.

Draaen
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#10 » Oct 26 2017 09:46

PeeJ wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:

I pretty much wanted to do Sa'Cea based on what little fluff their is and their colour scheme.

You could always paint your sept a custom colour. The sept world could have been added to the greater good and initially populated by a previous sphere's sept (that you like the paint scheme of) during an expansion. They would have a shared cultural history. However the new sept wouldn't be able to use the colonizing septs colours so they'd have to modify it enough to be distinct although that could be as much or as little as you want. That way you have a bit of a backstory a colour scheme you like and you don't have to worry as much about funky rules making it so that you don't enjoy the play style. Since your Tau are not the original sept and have a different culture and style of warfare they could take any sept's fighting style realistically. Plus if the paint job is differentiated enough then you never have people rolling their eyes that your sept is painted incorrectly.

Although I think for the most part people won't know the Tau sept colorings enough to judge and I think for a lot of armies that didn't have dedicated rules for subfactions people will not worry if you use something different to fit your playstyle. It seems a bit harsh to tell someone to repaint their army to something else when there was no indication that painting your dudes white instead of brown would be a huge game changing impact.
All empires fall you just have to know where to push

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Oct 26 2017 10:03

Draaen wrote:Although I think for the most part people won't know the Tau sept colorings enough to judge and I think for a lot of armies that didn't have dedicated rules for subfactions people will not worry if you use something different to fit your playstyle. It seems a bit harsh to tell someone to repaint their army to something else when there was no indication that painting your dudes white instead of brown would be a huge game changing impact.

I honestly don't know of any army that doesn't have things to differentiate between subfactions. GW made sure for all armies to have different color schemes for different subfactions for every army in the fluff.
Hell even Death Guard and Blood Angels have different color schemes for their successors/warbands even without having rules for those.

Also nobody is going to tell anybody to repaint their army (unless he's a jerk or it's a tournament maybe). It's something we decide for ourselves. WE don't want to have the wrong sept representation for the rules we use because WE care about OUR army. That's a significant difference. ;)

Return to “Painting & Artwork”