Choosing a Paint Scheme for my Shas'ui

Post and discuss techniques, advice and your latest projects.
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Choosing a Paint Scheme for my Shas'ui

Post#1 » Nov 06 2017 04:39

I'll be painting up a couple of Shas'ui within the next few days, and I'm trying to decide what color to do their command markings. Do any of these options look interesting to you?

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Re: Choosing a Paint Scheme for my Shas'ui

Post#2 » Nov 06 2017 05:00

Well correct in terms of fluff is none since Shas'ui only have a Sept colored antenna and pauldron mid-section. Full colored helmets are for 'vre and 'o. :P

But if I had to chose from those the three, I'd go with the second. I don't like the red pauldron and the colored pauldron is closer to the fluff than the first and gives more detail to the 'ui.
Last edited by Panzer on Nov 06 2017 06:20, edited 1 time in total.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Nov 06 2017 05:11

Panzer wrote:Well correct in terms of fluff is none since Shas'ui only have a Sept colored antenna and pauldron mid-section. Full colored helmets are for 'vre and 'o. :P

But if I had to chose frome those the three, I'd go with the second. I don't like the red pauldron and the colored pauldron is closer to the fluff than the first and gives more detail to the 'ui.

The fluff changed, but I'm going for a classic Tau look. I'm keeping to the general 3rd/4th edition Tau theme, so that's colored helmets on Shas'ui, dark-colored XV25s, etc. I gotta have a little originality though, which is why I'm toying around with options on the shoulder pad and kneepad.

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Nov 06 2017 06:18

I like to keep it simple. The first option looks great but I'd leave that white knee pad out (keep that uniform Tau ochre color).

The helmet would be really easy and quickly distinguishable (also really simple to paint) when it's the only contrasting part in your FW squad.
Cheers!
Nix

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#5 » Nov 06 2017 06:48

I like option 2 the best - the combination of both red and white panels on the third option make the colour scheme a little too chaotic at the scale of an infantry model (as opposed to larger models like battlesuits and vehicles where there's enough room to incorporate both colours in the quantity needed to get away with it), while the white shoulder guard panel keeps the white helmet more visually anchored in the colour scheme.

It's an interesting touch of personalisation to go with the white kneepad as well. One idea to consider is switching it around so that the opposite (right-hand from the model's point of view) kneepad is white instead, giving some white areas on both sides of the model.

Depending on how confident you are with your freehanding skills, you could also consider further personalising your colour scheme by playing with the colour of the 'line and dot' Sept markings. The white panels are enough to show your force hails from T'au if it comes up, so you've got some leeway with what colour to do up the Sept/Team markings. Red is of course traditional for the orchre T'au desert camouflage, but you're just as free to choose a different colour instead (or even more than one for different purposes - to differentiate Firewarrior and Pathfinder Shas'Ui, for example, or to distinguish commanders above Shas'Ui rank).
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

Shas'O Ora
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Nov 06 2017 07:42

I favour number two without the white on the knee, too.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Nov 06 2017 07:52

I actually like the white on the knee, but I second the vote to move it to the other knee to balance it with the shoulder.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Nov 06 2017 07:53

Kakapo42 wrote:I like option 2 the best - the combination of both red and white panels on the third option make the colour scheme a little too chaotic at the scale of an infantry model (as opposed to larger models like battlesuits and vehicles where there's enough room to incorporate both colours in the quantity needed to get away with it), while the white shoulder guard panel keeps the white helmet more visually anchored in the colour scheme.

I can definitely see your point. I'll scrap the red. I'm copying Tael a bit and doing colored shoulders for XV8 Shas'ui models, and I was wondering if that scheme was transferable to infantry models too. You're right that it would be a lot of color for an infantry model.

Kakapo42 wrote:It's an interesting touch of personalisation to go with the white kneepad as well. One idea to consider is switching it around so that the opposite (right-hand from the model's point of view) kneepad is white instead, giving some white areas on both sides of the model.

Interesting, that was my original thought! However, I realized that on a few of the Fire Warrior poses, especially the kneeling one, the right kneepad is harder to see.

Kakapo42 wrote:Depending on how confident you are with your freehanding skills, you could also consider further personalising your colour scheme by playing with the colour of the 'line and dot' Sept markings. The white panels are enough to show your force hails from T'au if it comes up, so you've got some leeway with what colour to do up the Sept/Team markings. Red is of course traditional for the orchre T'au desert camouflage, but you're just as free to choose a different colour instead (or even more than one for different purposes - to differentiate Firewarrior and Pathfinder Shas'Ui, for example, or to distinguish commanders above Shas'Ui rank).

I'm hesitant to do the freehand symbols as I'm not very confident in my painting ability, but I'm leaning toward adding some red markings too. Possibly on the heads of my XV8 Shas'vre, to mark them as different from the similarly white-helmeted XV8 Shas'ui models.

Return to “Painting & Artwork”