Draaens Tau Cadre WIP

Post and discuss techniques, advice and your latest projects.
Draaen
Shas'La
Shas'La

Draaens Tau Cadre WIP

Post#1 » Dec 17 2017 10:36

I've shifted focus away from my White Scars back to my Tau so I figured I would post what I complete for my Tau. Currently I have a good base already finished from when I played heavily in 5th/6th so it's more fleshing out elements I enjoy. The colours have all changed and GW doesn't make inks anymore so it's been interesting trying to colour match. I've come in to a large number of Fire Warriors recently so my goal is to get 48 complete for the army.

So this is my second squad completed as I already had one squad totally painted.

The Fireblade has the two white shoulder pads in the middle. The more senior the model typically the more white on it so it works with the colour scheme and really makes the model jump out on the battlefield. I've also had to reconsider how to differentiate these guys so it is obvious to my opponent if I ever do field all 48 in a gunline.

The solution I came up with was to assign each squad of 12 a colour. This squad is grey and the top plate on their large left shoulder pads is grey and the top plate on the right shoulder pad is grey. I further break the squad down into the 1st and 2nd squad where the first squad has white on the right (when looking at it) of the large pad and the 2nd squad has no white on the right. The Shas'Ui has the bonding knife and a white mark on his left side. The provisional officer of the 2nd squad has white on his left side of the shoulder pad. As so.

This way I can run them as full 12 man squads or smaller 6 man squads with cohesion and differentiation. It also adds a kind of cool flavour for me as you would expect the chain of command within a squad to include a senior Shas'La who would be the leader in case of the Shas'Ui dying or if the squad would need to split up for tactical reasons.

So I am painting 12 more fire warriors going and another fireblade. I had a squad finished already so to get to my goal of 48 I need to finish two more squads.
All empires fall you just have to know where to push

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Draaens Tau Cadre WIP

Post#2 » Dec 17 2017 04:01

I really like your green scheme!

48 firewarriors sounds like quite a challenge, I'm looking forward to seeing your results.

Keep up the good work,

Draaen
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Jan 03 2018 01:11

Thanks Iron glad you like the colour scheme.

So Christmas and finishing up my secret santa model has slowed me down bur I have finished the teal armour and lining it which is the most time consuming part so squad 3 hopefully comes along quickly now. We exchange secret santa gifts on Sunday and I was pretty happy with the conversion and the painting so I figured I would post it.

I'm trying to do a bit more freehand so I painted the emblem, the lining on the cloak and the CULUS on the script. CULUS came out a bit wobbly. The model was captain Lysander and I converted him to have black templar insignia. I figure he could be a captain or a hammernator squad leader. The sheer amount of bling and paper on him really threw me through a loop with the limited colour palette I tried to work with. He was fun to paint though as a lot of the colours would be more like my undivided chaos warriors of old.

I've decided to leave him with the 90's classic goblin green base but otherwise leave it blank so he can change the base to match his army.

Draaen
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Jan 06 2018 05:54

And Blue squad and my second fireblade are finished. 36/48 firewarriors painted up! I'll have to strip and prep my 4th squad so I'll probably jump on another project to account for all the soak times where I can't be painting. I also have to finish the bases on these guys and the last squad too but the hard work is already done.

joc-wi
Shas

Post#5 » Jan 07 2018 03:59

I like the color-scheme.
The first squad's color seems a bit more glossy and uneven - I kind of like this even more, since it looks a somewhat organic.

Draaen
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Jan 07 2018 11:15

joc-wi wrote:I like the color-scheme.
The first squad's color seems a bit more glossy and uneven - I kind of like this even more, since it looks a somewhat organic.

I put a candy coat gloss varnish on all the models in the army. The second squad had yet to have the final varnish I just got too excited to wait lol. I ink the armor so I always end up with some subtle variation which I kind of like but the flash and lighting I think amplified it. I've got to figure out how to take better pictures of my models. The varnish has to stay as the entire rest of the army has the gloss and if I changed now my new models would look out of place. I'm in way too deep to change course lol.

Draaen
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Jan 16 2018 12:44

So I ran out of black primer so that 4th squad of fire warriors has been on hold and I've been assembling/magnetizing/cleaning up the rest of my models for priming. 15 metal pathfinders, 6 gun drones, 2 hammerheads, 12 firewarriros, metal ethereal, converted high yield burst cannons and some misc equipment. So once they are primed I should be able to focus on painting instead of modeling. In the secret santa I got a ghostkeel which is my favourite of the large suits so that 4th squad is just going to have to wait cause I'm too excited about the ghostkeel.

I've got the ghostkeel assembled already and I'm trying out some vallejo putty my brother had purchased years ago and I inherited. It flows pretty well into all the cracks so hopefully this works out well and the model comes out nice and smooth. It's the white line you see on the guns. If it works I'd highly recommend it since it was really easy to apply. I did read that it needs 2-3 days to cure fully so I'll wait a bit before priming the dude.

Ghotskeel

Gun Magnetization with plastic filler

I've never seen one built in person so I magnetized the torso with a single magnet on each side so that I could get a better idea for posing him. The torso kept falling back and I decided I wanted to keep them magnetized as to be poseable. I added more magnets in the central well and found he still kept tipping back. So I figured I needed additional support to stop the tipping. My solution was to add 8 smaller magnets in a larger circle around the main one. This made the model have a super tight grip and the torso can still come off from excessive shaking but I think it will be just fine. I also can rotate him to multiple locked in spots which is cool.

Torso Female Magnet Array

Torso Male Magnet Array

The actual process to drill the magnet array was easy. Place the central magnet. I used an 1/8" dia X 1/32" thick N52 magnet. Then using where the mold comes together as a reference mark where you want your first 2 holes to go for the magnet circle. I used 1/16" dia X 1/16" thick N52 magnets. Try to keep them the same distance from center. Then mark 2 more holes the same way 90 degrees off of that so that they make a + sign. At this point just eyeball the remaining 4 holes putting one hole in between each of your already drilled holes. And voila you now have a good magnetized grip AND 8 positions you can place your guy into. The only downside is if you want to be outside of those 8 positions your out of luck. I think the trade off is worth it as I don't want the guy falling apart in games.

*Edit* - I am a fool. I should have left the little peg and socket and not put in the center magnet. Instead this would probably be a lot better with the peg and socket with the magnet arrays. Ah well live and learn.

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Jan 16 2018 09:37

That's pretty cool. I love the creativity. I have a similar magnet project. I am magentising my stormsurges to have anchors up/down mode. I basically replace a plastic ball joint of the anchor with a generic metal bead. I found the bead and tested it before I bought it in the Walmart store. The idea is to have a magnet in the anchor, and have it "snap" together to the metal ball bearing.

I still need to green stuff clone the anchor joint though for it to work the way I want it to.

Draaen
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#9 » Jan 19 2018 12:10

Project update:

I don't have the appropriate blue and grey so the Ghostkeel matches my stealth suits. So I started painting up all the other elements that I could mimic. He's REALLY rough paint job when I took the pic but I thought he looked kind of cool with the black armor so I figured I'd share it.

Also that metal is just a base layer of leadbelcher I think and a heavy nuln oil. It looks pretty darn good. I've added shading after this pic but I am always impressed by how much better the washes available now are compared to the inks I originally used.

Draaen
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#10 » Feb 07 2018 02:59

So just a quick project update. The ghostkeel is coming along really nice. I am at a bit of a point where I've burned out on it though as I need to pick up a couple more blues in order to get the highlights looking nice and not having to mix them. Still I like what has been done and I think he's showing some real signs of promise of being one of the nicer models I've ever painted. I'll probably wait until I get the colours to see how the highlighting effect changes the overall look. I want to make sure it looks nice up close and far away. It's been fun doing the stealth colour scheme I haven't painted it in ages and it shows. It is one of the most immature colour schemes I have ever done but I think it still looks pretty slick. I'd just see that colour scheme working on a saturday morning cartoon though.

ImageImage

So I got a little burnt out after a while with the ghost keel so I decided to jump into making some units I've been using or planning to finish painting tabletop ready. I've got my stealth suits looking all right, converted up a kroot shadowsun with accompanying drones and I've got my next squad of 12 fire warriors and fire blade roughed out. The tron style armour won't be sticking around. But I wanted to see how it would look. Chock it up to another failed experiment.

ImageImage

I've also decided to start a tradition. Each year or 1/2 a year I will take a picture of my full army. Both fully finished and tabletop ready. Then the next year I can take a picture and see its progression. These are the pictures I took earlier. Makes me feel like I need to get to work and keep working through my queue! The infantry seem to be a lot quicker to paint than the big stuff so I have a feeling when I start knuckling down on the pathfinders and drones I'll see a lot of progress pretty quick.

ImageImageImage

comm_nagrom
Shas

Post#11 » Feb 07 2018 04:34

I love that ghostkeel, and the scheme looks really great! Might you divulge the teal you use on the tanks? It's the exact shade I want for my tau's Sept Color

Draaen
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#12 » Feb 08 2018 12:26

comm_nagrom wrote:I love that ghostkeel, and the scheme looks really great! Might you divulge the teal you use on the tanks? It's the exact shade I want for my tau's Sept Color

Always happy to talk about painitng. So I painted those tanks a long time ago and I'm trying to update the recipe for new paints. I used Hawk Turquoise as a base and then inked it to darken the colour a bit. The ink was a mix of the pthalocyanine green blue shade ink and some blue ink. Inks were much more widely available before shades (which in general are way better imo) so I'm not sure if the blue ink is still on sale but you could buy a blue ink from the same range as the green ink (Get it at Jordans for fairly cheap) and mix the two until you were happy with the colour. You may even be happy with it as it comes out without mixing which is kind of ideal. I use sotek green normally now as a replacement for hawk turquoise but I'm trying out the vallejo Turquoise and that seems close as well.

Paints and inks I use to get my teal..

Draaen
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#13 » Feb 19 2018 11:47

So just a quick update. I've finally gotten the blue I wanted to use to do my edge highlights for the blue. He looks way better with that done. I'm getting pretty close now. I just need to finish the metal highlighting on his torso section, finish the lens, do some touch ups and then he needs to get his name on him and some cool iconagraphy added on his leg plates to go with it. I need to find a cool sneaky titan to go with the rest of my naming conventions for my other vehicles.

I'm pretty happy with the guy so far. It's taken longer then I expected but I attribute that to having to figure out how to paint the stealth armor and not having the proper paints around. That and the large number of models I made tabletop ready. I've got another 14 drones and 1 Ion turret tabletop ready too now. I've always avoided the really expensive models but if I get to enjoy painting it for this long it certainly seems a much better value so I can see myself getting some more.

Return to “Painting & Artwork”