Blending shade advice

Post and discuss techniques, advice and your latest projects.
Orion7
Shas'Saal

Blending shade advice

Post#1 » Dec 22 2017 08:43

Hi, could someone help me with blending? I'm painting a Hammerhead in counter shade camo (XV88 and tau light ochre on top in places) and caledor sky topped with lotharn blue underneath. However, I don't have an air brush and the places where they butt together look terrible. What would be a good way to blend these two together?

Limitations? You mean you don't want Fido the kroot hound as a character?

K'Pokk
Shas'Saal

Re: Blending shade advice

Post#2 » Dec 22 2017 02:42

Hard to visualise eaxactly what your problem is but depending on how narrow you want the transition area to be, you might try using Lahmian Medium?

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/se ... Ntt=medium

Mix Lahmian medium with equal parts of your 2 colours. Essentially you will be making your own custom wash. The more medium you use the more transparent the wash. Apply sparingly. Allow to dry then apply a narrower area leaving untouched the areas either side of the line.

You should probably try this on a test object first.

If this all sounds too complicated I'd suggest a stipple effect at the border between the two colours.

Good luck! :biggrin:

Orion7
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Dec 22 2017 02:57

Thanks, I've got some tamaya acrylic thinner which should help

pilky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Dec 22 2017 06:27

I would be careful with Tamaya thinner. Not all acrylic thinners are the same. Some work well with Citadel paints and some don't. I've heard mixed things about Tamaya. Vallejo seem to work a lot better, or Lahmian medium works too.

That said, if you want a blend then try feathering. This is where you water down the paint a little bit more than usual (not enough to be a “wash”). Put some paint on the model, then quickly wipe your brush off. Then go back over and drag the colour into the area you want to blend, periodically wiping excess off your brush. It's probably the easiest blending technique to learn.

That said, visualising your colours I can't see a blend between them ever looking too great as they're kind of opposite sides of the colour wheel (orange and blue).

Juicy Fruit
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Dec 24 2017 10:12

As you can see on the shark below, the boarder between the white underside and blue/grey top side is a mix of both colours.

As has already been said feathering will be the way to go. This video will explain the technique. I would paint the Caledor Sky colour first going slightly further up the model than where you want the boundary to be. Then paint your XV88 and Tau Light Ochre to the edge of the Caledor Sky. Using watered-down versions of the paints, alternate between the colours using feathering to create a blurry boundary.

Assorted tips:
  • Experiment with your technique on spare model bits or paper first.
  • You may want much thinner versions of your darker colours than 2:1 as multiple applications of very thinned paint will let you slowly build up areas of colour
  • Always paint in strokes towards the colour you are painting with as you will leave more pigment where you finish the stroke

N.B: The link takes you half way through as the first half is showing how to do it wrong i.e. blending by painting lines rather than feathering.
Primum conatus pessimi

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#6 » Dec 26 2017 06:53

I use a sponge to blend between my vehicles camouflage top and low-vis grey belly

I painted both upper and lower sections first then using a sponge lightly loaded with the grey, gently dabbed the grey over the camouflage to break up and blend the join...

Orion7
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Dec 28 2017 07:19

El'mo wrote:I use a sponge to blend between my vehicles camouflage top and low-vis grey belly

I painted both upper and lower sections first then using a sponge lightly loaded with the grey, gently dabbed the grey over the camouflage to break up and blend the join...

That's exactly the effect I'm after! I'll try that on my next model. The current WIP I tried on the advice of my friendly local shop chap with a dry brushing approach and it works alright, so I'll nick some nail varnish sponges off the missus and try yours out on the next one!

Return to “Painting & Artwork”