The Fang Spray

Post and discuss techniques, advice and your latest projects.
greenman019
Shas

The Fang Spray

Post#1 » Dec 30 2017 07:07

Got some GW The Fang spray for some of my larger SaCea sept Tau. Does it double up as a primer, ready to go straight onto miniatures?

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: The Fang Spray

Post#2 » Dec 30 2017 10:16

Well looking at the GW website it implies that this is a primer for resin and metal models; but then watching hobby videos on YouTube, all them refer to it as a "base coat" that requires a model to primed first.

This one of several videos on Fang that can be found on YouTube: Th Fang vs. Army Painter Wolf Grey

Hope that helps.

TauMan
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Co0n
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Dec 31 2017 04:35

I tried leadbelcher and mechanicus standard grey spray. both require a primer to achieve a good coat. The paint didn't stick and pooled in the recesses.
I also tried Caliban Green and Zandri Dust. they worked well on my Land Raider without primer, but also looked good on a primed model.

Conclusion: might depend on the color or the can. The owner of my local GW store told me he uses them all as primer.
Best thing you can do is a) try it on a spare plastic model / some left over sprues and b) always, ALWAYS, spray as thin as you can and make to coats if necessary. You should be fine.

greenman019
Shas

Post#4 » Dec 31 2017 05:38

I'll probably carry on using chaos black spray primer first then unless I can find a spare model.

Agent00abe
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Dec 31 2017 12:08

Hmm. I never thought about a spray not being a primer.
Interesting.
Does this Railgun make me look fat?

Return to “Painting & Artwork”