Kroot painting?

Post and discuss techniques, advice and your latest projects.
Co0n
Shas'Saal

Kroot painting?

Post#1 » Jan 11 2018 07:50

Hey there!

I ordered some kroot just for fun and was wandering what the best way to paint them would be.
I do own an airbrush and I want to make it fairly quick in a greenish/brownish way. (a bit like nurgle)

any advice?

Rayscarnage
Shas'Saal

Re: Kroot painting?

Post#2 » Jan 11 2018 11:39

Since they shape and change according to what they eat you can go crazy on this. lets say they eat the wild life of a planet where they Evolved to blend with their purple enviroment, they could be purpleish too. You can make them anyway you like to blend with your army. I will probably paint mine a really pale green almost white for a winter themed army.

Draaen
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Jan 11 2018 11:58

If you want it quick and easy for green/browns you can base coat the model green fill in the brown parts and put on a wash over the whole model and you are pretty well done with the body and have something that looks nice. You can add in some dry brushing the original green/brown for a bit of natural highlights. Looks sharp and is pretty quick if you do a heavy wash over the whole model and find one wash you like for both the brown and the green.
All empires fall you just have to know where to push

Lore
Shas

Post#4 » Jan 11 2018 01:32

All my armies fight on desert worlds so mine will be graveyard earth undercoat, desert sand layers with the spines/quills, bonny plates and beak that creamy bone colour I can never remember the name of. they'll blend into my Tau, Imperial & Tyranids.

nic
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#5 » Jan 11 2018 03:13

Kroot take washes very well - Agrax Earthshade is your friend. I went through amazing amounts of the stuff putting together my kroot horde. Obviously if you are on a different colour palette for your kroot (and with their variable biology pretty much anything goes that looks good) then use a different wash.

I think an airbrush would be a really viable way to batch paint kroot, I did not have one when I was putting my massed carnivores together but if I were to tackle more now I would:
Basecoat
Zenithal highlight
Detail paint
Wash
Mask / Airbrush contrast colour on the quills/crest
Tidy up details, highlight if still required to make them pop
Base

Return to “Painting & Artwork”