Painting models to look like holograms

Post and discuss techniques, advice and your latest projects.
comm_nagrom
Shas

Painting models to look like holograms

Post#1 » Jan 22 2018 11:48

I absolutely hate the idea of ethereals being out in combat, it always made zero sense to me why such high value targets would just roam the battlefield, without armor or protection.

As such i am planning to paint the ethereal I received in my new start collecting box up to appear to be a hologram. My only issue is I have zero idea how to do it. I know I want it to be vaguely glowy and to be yellow in color (ala the protoss hologram tech from Starcraft)

Anybody got any ideas? I'm totally stumped

jukebox
Shas'Saal

Re: Painting models to look like holograms

Post#2 » Jan 22 2018 12:03

Paint it to look "real" in most places, but with a wire mesh of blue/yellow in others, like the hologram is being interfered with? There are a number of good "cloaking" effects out there you could modify.

I must say, I like this idea. In fact, I might just nick it.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jan 22 2018 12:27

Could do the clear stealth suit trick and recast in clear resin and paint normal except leave out certain rows/columns of "data". Could be an interesting effect at least.

comm_nagrom
Shas

Post#4 » Jan 22 2018 02:00

jukebox wrote:Paint it to look "real" in most places, but with a wire mesh of blue/yellow in others, like the hologram is being interfered with? There are a number of good "cloaking" effects out there you could modify.

I must say, I like this idea. In fact, I might just nick it.

Oh I like that idea, painting part of it as a hologram does seem interesting. Idk how it would look in practice but I can always try it on a test model first.

Feel free to nick it all you like, I honestly never understood why ethereal would put them selves in danger, aside from aun'shi since he is classically trained in combat.

I saw another tutorial that said starting with a light color (so in my case yellow) and progressively dry brushing it lighter and lighter till it's final super light drybrush of pure white I might give that a shot on a test model this weekend

namegiver
Shas

Post#5 » Jan 22 2018 02:07

Another possibility might be to paint the model normally (or perhaps entirely in shades of grey, or green?), but sleeve it up from the base in a clear acrylic tube which has been fancied up either with paint, digital-style etching or a combination of both. Acrylic tubes come in some cool fluorescent colors, too. Maybe do something along those lines on top of a drone?

This Fibonacci joke is as bad as the last two you heard combined.
namegiver's Shi'ar Sept Project Log

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#6 » Jan 22 2018 02:10

In tried something similar with a 16th century pirate ship model kit to show like a ghost ship(I don't have the model under hand at the moment)
I painted it (matte) white, then use some watered down matte paint layers (matte paint is important to fix some pigments):
- 2/1 white/light green, 50% diluted
- 1/2 white/light green, 50% diluted
then a darker green inking for crevices and finishing with white highlights.
Not a bad paintjob, but the lack of deep details on the model kit made the inking not very good and the model looks too "flat". But on 40k models with more accentued details, this can be good.

I think this paintjob can be a good base for hologram. You can add a "grid" in a bright or different color. Or highlights maybe.
If you have an airbrush and thin mesh, using it as paint projection mask could do the trick maybe to add some "texture" on the hologram.

I think that a "layered" effect is possible, if you dip the model vertically in a deep pot with diluted white (or black), lift it on 1mm, wait a little for the paint rim to dry, then use clean water to remove the remaining wet paint. Then another dip, lift, dry, then cleaning, ... until all the layers are done.

Return to “Painting & Artwork”