Denoting Rank

Post and discuss techniques, advice and your latest projects.
Nitrogue
Shas

Denoting Rank

Post#1 » Feb 01 2018 07:56

Hi All

Rather new to all of this, so don't have any of the older codices to refer to.

I am aware that there are ranks within the tau army, and that each rank is denoted typically by the colour of their helmet/ antanae on their helmet. Unfortunately since actually starting to build an army, i can not find where i had seen that, didnt know if anyone can lend a hand with some links/ what they can remember.

Cheers in advance

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: Denoting Rank

Post#2 » Feb 01 2018 08:09

This question popped up recently. Here's a quote from another user about the current way of showing rank:

Panzer wrote:Shas'la = Antenna, helmet and shoulder guard in armor colour.
Shas'Ui = Antenna in Sept color. Helmet in armor colour. (and middle panel of shoulder guard in Sept color if it's not a Battlesuit)
Shas'Vre = Antenna and Helmet in Sept color. Shoulder guard in armor colour
Shas'El = Antenna in armor color. Helmet in Sept color. Kinda hard to find a picture of a full Shas'El model since it's not really a unit in the Codex (yet) and usually fulfills the same role as a Commander anyway.
Shas'O = Antenna, Helmet and middle shoulder guard panel in Sept color. Sept markings on the helmet in armor color.

For reference:

Nitrogue
Shas

Post#3 » Feb 01 2018 10:04

Thanks for this, hopefully will be able to get a hard copy of this when the codex comes out

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Feb 01 2018 10:23

Arka0415 wrote:This question popped up recently. Here's a quote from another user about the current way of showing rank:

Panzer wrote:
Shas'la = Antenna, helmet and shoulder guard in armor colour.
Shas'Ui = Antenna in Sept color. Helmet in armor colour. (and middle panel of shoulder guard in Sept color if it's not a Battlesuit)
Shas'Vre = Antenna and Helmet in Sept color. Shoulder guard in armor colour
Shas'El = Antenna in armor color. Helmet in Sept color. Kinda hard to find a picture of a full Shas'El model since it's not really a unit in the Codex (yet) and usually fulfills the same role as a Commander anyway.
Shas'O = Antenna, Helmet and middle shoulder guard panel in Sept color. Sept markings on the helmet in armor color.

Arka0415 where is this information coming from? Is this from the 7th edition codex (don't have that codex)? Or is from some other source? I know such specific detail for each rank wasn't part of the Tau lore up to sixth edition. Most people made up their own version of this when painting there models. Also I've seen similar artwork giving the specific colours for Tau septs? Is that from 7th edition or another source?

TauMan
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

GI-Redshirt
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Feb 01 2018 12:28

Arka pretty much covered it, there is only one thing I would add. There is a habit among the named Shas'Os in the army to have a reverse color scheme. Farsight and Shadowsun both use their sept colors (Vior'la red for Farsight and T'au white for Shadowsun) as their primary armor color (technically I think Kais from Dawn of War also does this if you count that as canon). This inverted color scheme is also noted as being used by elite cadres, for what it's worth, so it's probably not just a design choice by the dev team to make their named characters stand out.

So, while it is the standard for Shas'Os to be marked as Arka said, higher ranking/more elite Shas'Os can also be seen in an inverted color scheme.

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#6 » Feb 01 2018 05:35

TauMan wrote:Arka0415 where is this information coming from? Is this from the 7th edition codex (don't have that codex)? Or is from some other source? I know such specific detail for each rank wasn't part of the Tau lore up to sixth edition. Most people made up their own version of this when painting there models. Also I've seen similar artwork giving the specific colours for Tau septs? Is that from 7th edition or another source?

TauMan

It is presumably from either the 7th edition codex or some kind of contemporary release like a painting guide - either way you can tell it's 7th edition vintage from the Breaching Team shoulder guard featured at the bottom of the posted image.

Codified Sept colours have... technically been around since the beginning (though they were never explicitly stated, merely used consistently across the GW studio examples), but didn't really become a nailed down thing until 4th edition, where some of them were introduced in White Dwarf articles released around the time of the 4th edition codex release. The painting and modelling guide War Machines of the Tau Empire featured in White Dwarf issue 316 (AU) at least gives specific Sept colours to T'au, Au'taal, D'yanoi, Kel'shan and Vior'la. I believe these were also suggested Sept colours in the 4th edition codex, but would have to double-check. At any rate the 6th edition codex and related material expanded the idea to cover all Tau Septs.

The 6th edition codex and related background material also introduced the system of rank identification Arka quoted, which was shown in the codex itself and White Dwarf issue 400 (AU). You are correct however in that this system is still very new in the grand scheme of things, and that the original Tau background indeed had no hard rules for rank markings and encouraged you to invent your own. Personally, I would have no problem with anyone who chose to do so, and have even created a workaround that allows older 3rd edition style markings to co-exist with the post-6th edition system if needbe.
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#7 » Feb 01 2018 06:10

Kakapo42 wrote:It is presumably from either the 7th edition codex or some kind of contemporary release like a painting guide - either way you can tell it's 7th edition vintage from the Breaching Team shoulder guard featured at the bottom of the posted image.

...You are correct however in that this system is still very new in the grand scheme of things, and that the original Tau background indeed had no hard rules for rank markings and encouraged you to invent your own.

Yup- that's why I mentioned it was the "current" way to mark rank. I personally use the old, full-color helmet style- there's plenty of room for different methods of doing it.

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Feb 01 2018 08:14

Okay, but where is this artwork coming from? The graphic that panzer had posted, and similar artwork, is it from the 7th edition codex, Forge World publication, or from White Dwarf? Where is it from?

Thanks
TauMan
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

GI-Redshirt
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Feb 01 2018 09:03

TauMan wrote:Okay, but where is this artwork coming from? The graphic that panzer had posted, and similar artwork, is it from the 7th edition codex, Forge World publication, or from White Dwarf? Where is it from?

Thanks
TauMan

Those specific images and artwork, along with similar artwork, are found in the 7th edition codex.

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#10 » Feb 01 2018 09:21

T'ahh, which I don't have!

Thank you.
TauMan
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Return to “Painting & Artwork”