New to the hobby, looking for Vior'la paint scheme instructions.

Post and discuss techniques, advice and your latest projects.
Crankine
Shas

New to the hobby, looking for Vior'la paint scheme instructions.

Post#1 » Feb 02 2018 11:47

Hey ATT!
I just started the hobby and have fallen in love with the way Tau models look. I was originally torn between painting my models the original Tan colors vs the Vior'la box cover scheme. I have finally decided on the Vior'la scheme but after asking around my group of friends, they all tried to talk me out of it saying that white is really hard to paint as a beginner. When i asked them for explanations and tips to improve, they were unsure themselves. They all avoided it because someone told them it was hard.

So I've decided to come to the place where all the Tau experts are and ask for help :). Does any one know of a good guide to paint Vior'la? I only found one on youtube by apathaticfish, but i would like to look at multiple sources before embarking on my painting journey.

I only have brushes and access to Citadel paints as the small town i am from does not have any other brands, and I do not have the resources or know how to use an airbrush. Any tips or videos on painting techniques to use as a beginner would be well appreciated!

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: New to the hobby, looking for Vior'la paint scheme instructions.

Post#2 » Feb 03 2018 12:01

Welcome to the Tau Empire! You've chosen a great-looking color scheme, but it certainly isn't the easiest to paint. To paint Vior'la, there is one thing to remember:

Prime your models white!

Use a spray to get white armor, then paint all the other pieces (cloth etc.) over that white. You'll need a small brush and a steady hand not to accidentally get brown and black paint on the armor. Consider painting the parts separatelt then gluing them together only at the end- we call this painting by "sub assemblies".

Anyway, here's a great video- it's quick, but it hits the main points for painting Vior'la Sept models:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVnpaxnzUFw

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#3 » Feb 03 2018 12:04

If you have an ibook capable device, you could consider looking at GW's painting guides for further guidance.

Otherwise, if painting from a non-white undercoat, it's very counter-intuitive but the secret to painting white well is don't actually paint white - instead paint successive layers of very light grey that build up to white.

The idea here is that pure white cannot be highlighted (though it can be shaded), so if you go straight to pure white as a main colour not only will it take a lot of layers to get an even coat, but you'll also end up with a very flat looking colour scheme. Working up from grey instead, when done right, creates an optical illusion of sorts that actually makes a model look a very nice white when it really isn't.

For the kind of pristine cold white that the GW Vior'la scheme uses, look at Fenris Grey as a base. Once you've got a good even basecoat of Fenris Grey down, mix some white and Fenris Grey together and use that as a first layer. Once that's down add more white to the mixture and put down a second layer. Rinse and repeat, and if you've got enough stages in then it should blend smoothly into a very light grey the further away from the recesses it gets. Finish with some white edge highlighting.

That's what I'd do at least.
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

Spottington
Shas

Post#4 » Feb 03 2018 01:14

As someone who has been struggling to paint white well, I'm glad that you started this topic! I've been looking around for examples and tutorials too, here is a video that I found useful, straight from GW paint master Duncan himself:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CtZnWSU4JjE

One tip I've heard over and over again is to thin your paints down with a little bit of water, that will make them go on smoother.

Hope that helps, when you get some stuff painted we'd all like to see some pictures! And I'll definitely be checking back on this thread for tips I can use myself too.

CMO
Shas

Post#5 » Feb 03 2018 01:17

Hi, as Kakapo says, the trick is to paint them very light grey and highlight white. My viorla recipe is to spray the bare plastic Corax White, and then paint a thin, even coat of Ulthuan Grey. From here, I would paint the legs and joints chaos black, and the weapons whatever colour you feel suits the scheme (mechanicus grey and administratum grey for me). The red areas, I paint a deep red like khorne red, and highlight with wild rider red. Using a very fine brush, I use agrax earth shade to wash into every recess, and then when that’s dry, I highlight every raised edge on the ulthuan grey with ceramite white. Even though the model is actually grey, it looks white.

Hope that helps, and enjoy experimenting!

gunrock
Shas

Post#6 » Feb 03 2018 03:13

Spottington wrote:As someone who has been struggling to paint white well, I'm glad that you started this topic! I've been looking around for examples and tutorials too, here is a video that I found useful, straight from GW paint master Duncan himself:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CtZnWSU4JjE

One tip I've heard over and over again is to thin your paints down with a little bit of water, that will make them go on smoother.

Hope that helps, when you get some stuff painted we'd all like to see some pictures! And I'll definitely be checking back on this thread for tips I can use myself too.

Our lord and savior!

Also, use your pallet to control your brush. The two pieces of wisdom he repeats multiple times in every video, and absolutely true.

I think everyone is intimidated by painting when they first start. Once you get going that goes away pretty quick. Even with only basic art skills, if you put in the the time and effort anyone can achieve decent results and probably better then you would expect. And if you screw up just paint over it.

I believe in you!!
All the rivers run into the sea, Yet the sea is not full; Unto the place whither the rivers go, Thither they go again.

akaron79
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Feb 03 2018 04:54

Hi there,

Although I am not any kind of expert, I would say that painting white is tricky and it is really easy to get non desired results.

Basically all has been said by other ATT members, but to get a compendium of basic dos and don’ts:

• I would use grey spray for priming instead of white. Painting white as pure white does not look well at all, so priming in white seems to me as a risk of thinking the work it is almost done; And this is far from reality :). On the other hand, getting recesses painted on a darker tone (grey) helps with the final results (you can directly avoid painting such recesses when you go for lighter greys).
  • When basecoating and layering (if so) use a very fluid and thin ulthuam grey. If you want to use the layering technique, use any other mid tones between the priming grey and ulthuam grey. I would not recommend layering for troops anyway.
  • This is the most important tip: if you want a solid “white” you have to basecoat multiple times with a very very thin coat of ulthuam grey. The first layer will look awfull, the second one will look better and with a third coat it will start looking nice and solid. I usually paint armor panel "separators" between one ulthuam coat and the next. This way you fix errors with some grade of synergy. So be patient and use a mix of 2 part of water vs 1 of ulthuam grey (more or less). The brush has to "run" very smoothly. Although you have to repeat the process, layers with thin paint are done faster.
  • Finally highlight the edges with pure white.

Just with these tips you can paint good looking white even not being a pro painter.

Do not be afraid and just try. The best way of improving is practicing ;)

Good luck and be patient!

Tau'va

P.S.
Here you can read an article I wrote some months ago. It could be interesting however it is written in spanish :P. I hope google translator can do the trick:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MzNN6vzdhlVRYsgEzRddPIL5QEachU9W2WfkEMKZGyE/edit?usp=sharing

To get a context, the article is a kind of "response" to an episode of a 40k spanish podcast dedicated to painting and modeling.

khayman
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Feb 03 2018 05:16

It's important to note that a lot of tutorials for Vior'la armour,. including Duncan's video from Warhammer TV

DOES NOT PRODUCE A WHITE ARMOUR

The reason for that is, as explained above, that white can't be highlighted, as there's no lighter color than white. So what they do is use a very light bluegrey so that they can then highlight it with pure white.

This is an excellent workaround and you can definetely use that if you're not going for a pure white armour.

Another workaround, however, also coming our way from GW, is using brown armour chipping as highlights. This is demonstrable in whichever GW publication has produced that includes the White/Grey (instead of White/Red) variant of Vior'la, including their website. It is also described in the GW's packaging, e.g. the back of the Start Collecting box.

If you're attempting to faithfully copy GW's style for Vior'la, you need to go with the chipping highight.

The colours GW uses is Ceramite White, Administratum Grey, Gorthor Brown, Dryad Bark.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#9 » Feb 03 2018 05:36

khayman wrote:It's important to note that a lot of tutorials for Vior'la armour,. including Duncan's video from Warhammer TV

The reason for that is, as explained above, that white can't be highlighted, as there's no lighter color than white. So what they do is use a very light bluegrey so that they can then highlight it with pure white.

Not having highlights isn't really a problem though. Sure it has a little less detail, but it's still white armor. So I wouldn't say that non-highlighted white armor is "not white armor."

pilky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#10 » Feb 03 2018 05:39

As others have said, don’t paint pure white. If you spray corax white, layer ulthuan grey, recess wash agrax earthshade and then edge highlight with white scar you will get a pretty good result really easily. People think white is hard, but if you use this technique it's actually not much harder than any other colour, it just may require one or two more coats.

ErSe0831
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Feb 03 2018 06:38

This book is pretty good as well woth step-by-step instructions and the names of the colours used :)

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-WW/Armies-of-Expansion-Tau-Empire-Painting-Guide-EPUB

khayman
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Feb 03 2018 08:11

Arka0415 wrote:
khayman wrote:It's important to note that a lot of tutorials for Vior'la armour,. including Duncan's video from Warhammer TV

Not having highlights isn't really a problem though. Sure it has a little less detail, but it's still white armor. So I wouldn't say that non-highlighted white armor is "not white armor."

Νο, Ι meant the Ghostkeel video where he's using Ulthuan Grey as a basecoat. Ulthuan Grey is a beautiful colour, but it's not white, I wouldn't even call it an off white.

Beerson
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Feb 03 2018 10:29

One thing from my own experience, don't use GW white, the color is pretty bad quality wise, many suggest using vallejo white instead

At first I though this was only me getting bad batch of color, but others confirmed this to me, and I never saw "pro painter" on youtube use GW white, even from those few who mainly use Citadel colors (except Duncan obviously, he has to use GW)

On a sidenote, if you find painting white too troublesome and want Vior'la, you can use original Vior'la paint scheme or replace white with camo color

Also something that looks quite good and close to white armor imo is original Bork'an scheme

shadowsong47
Shas

Post#14 » Feb 03 2018 12:54

Here are my Vior'la. I used the same scheme across my tanks and troops turned out great.

https://imgur.com/a/djzvz

White Primer is a must!

White - Ulthuan Grey - wash with agrax earthshade - clean up with more ulthuan grey - Highlights Slight dry brush of Skull White (To weather use gorthor brown as you can see on the hammerhead behind, in the future im going to weather my troops)

Black - Addadon black -- highlight with dawnstone -- EXTREME highlight administratum grey

Red - Base Khorne red -- Highlight evil sun scarlet and EXTREME highlight with fiery dragon blight (as you can see these were my earlier models so I was heavy handed on the EXTREME part. I have now swapped to use wild rider red instead of orange just blends better imo)

Skin -- The FANG -- Agrax earthshade wash -- Fenrisian grey highlight

Gold -- Retributer armor base -- Agrax earthshade wash -- Highlight with runefang steel

Blue Lens -- Calador sky (Thin this down let is soak into the recesses) - Temple guard blue around the edge - Baharoth blue at the extreme corners and then dab a little skull white at the tip of the lens.

Here you can see Longstike painted with the same colors (except wild rider on the red instead of fiery dragon blight) And then after I weathered him with gorthor brown.

https://imgur.com/a/fLDna

khayman
Shas'Saal

Post#15 » Feb 03 2018 03:38

Beerson wrote:One thing from my own experience, don't use GW white, the color is pretty bad quality wise, many suggest using vallejo white instead

At first I though this was only me getting bad batch of color, but others confirmed this to me, and I never saw "pro painter" on youtube use GW white, even from those few who mainly use Citadel colors (except Duncan obviously, he has to use GW)

On a sidenote, if you find painting white too troublesome and want Vior'la, you can use original Vior'la paint scheme or replace white with camo color

Also something that looks quite good and close to white armor imo is original Bork'an scheme

I agree, GW's whites are pretty bad for anything other than highlighting. Vallejo's whites are a lot better. In particular, the White polyurethane primer through an airbrush is just awesome and for brushing Dead White and/or Off White are must haves in anyone's paint collection. Vallejo also produces a technical paint named Rotten White. This probably has the best consistency for highlighting out of all whites I've tried, quite similar to GW's Edge series.

Krospgnasker
Shas

Post#16 » Feb 04 2018 01:09

Well, unlike most people in this thread, I actually prefer pure, solid white for the armor. There's no highlighting possible, true, but the result is great either way :D

You can see examples in my project log.

Crankine
Shas

Post#17 » Feb 05 2018 12:28

THANK YOU GUYS!

I didn't expect so much help and replies from the community.

I will be picking up my paints this coming week and will probably start painting next week, seeing how I will be doing my final clinical placement in a rural outback town and will be spending 3 months there. No internet (only phone) and pretty much nothing else to do there so i will git'painting. :)

Looking at the replies, i will probably go with the option of priming it Corax white and layering with Ulthan grey, washing the recesses with Agrax arthshade or Nuln oil. Will try this and see how it goes :)

Beerson
Shas'Saal

Post#18 » Feb 05 2018 10:14

Crankine wrote:THANK YOU GUYS!

I didn't expect so much help and replies from the community.

I will be picking up my paints this coming week and will probably start painting next week, seeing how I will be doing my final clinical placement in a rural outback town and will be spending 3 months there. No internet (only phone) and pretty much nothing else to do there so i will git'painting. :)

Looking at the replies, i will probably go with the option of priming it Corax white and layering with Ulthan grey, washing the recesses with Agrax arthshade or Nuln oil. Will try this and see how it goes :)

Good luck then,
When you shop for paint, be sure to get good brushes, you don't want to fight bad brush especially when painting white, and maybe get some Lahmian medium to make the washes flow over armor panels better, also you can make your own wash with it

Also I would personaly suggest nuln oil, as agrax on white looks like the models swam through mud river, but depends if want to go for really worn out or clean new models

Return to “Painting & Artwork”