Drone Painting Question

Post and discuss techniques, advice and your latest projects.
Ko'Vas Vaal
Shas

Drone Painting Question

Post#1 » Feb 08 2018 06:00

Hey there ATT,

So I have re-lit my motivated to paint my Tau but I ran into a conundrum about drones which brings me to my question. I used the search bar but got a lot of talk / discussion regarding drones but could find anything related to painting them. So without further delay:

How do you paint the underneath side of your drones, more so Shield Drones, with all those various bumps and ridges? In the past when I initially started painting my army, which are terrible looking, I just painted the underside all one color.

I'm currently thinking it over of just doing that or trying to figure out something else that could be done. If you have any suggestion I would greatly appreciate any input you could spare and offer. Thanks you for your time and help.

►Ko'Vas◄

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Re: Drone Painting Question

Post#2 » Feb 08 2018 06:48

I paint the "inner" parts all black and dry brush them with a grey. the bottom "shield" part of the Shielddrone I paint in the colors of the topdeck as with the front end of the guns of the gun drone and the casing on the box on the ML drone.

Aspiring Commander
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Feb 08 2018 07:23

Yeah I paint my drones in a similar way, I paint the top main body of the drones and the antenna in sept colour, the innards black and dry brush silver to match my FW's guns and the lower part of the disk underneath in my secondary colour.
'We act as one, and united we cannot fall'

-Commander Shadowsun

Ko'Vas Vaal
Shas

Post#4 » Feb 08 2018 10:54

Thank you both for the replies, they were immensely helpful.

What you both mentioned is what I was starting to think of doing but the input help move in this direction. I appreciate the explanation of how you paint your drones as it also really help.

Thank you again and will try to get a painting blog going for some feedback as well.

►Ko'Vas◄

Orion7
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Feb 10 2018 12:57

I paint them with lead belcher, wash with nuln oil, then paint details with iron breaker and whatever brass or gold I have to hand to break up the monotony

Limitations? You mean you don't want Fido the kroot hound as a character?

Return to “Painting & Artwork”