Vior'la sept - Agrax vs Nuln Oil

Post and discuss techniques, advice and your latest projects.
greenman019
Shas

Vior'la sept - Agrax vs Nuln Oil

Post#1 » Feb 08 2018 08:53

Just wondering if anyone has any pictures comparing the two shades on white Vior'la sept armour. Would love to see the difference as I do like the weathered look using Agrax, but would also like to see what Nuln oil looks like.

nbsp
Shas

Re: Vior'la sept - Agrax vs Nuln Oil

Post#2 » Feb 08 2018 10:04

If you can wait a couple hours I've got just what you're after.

A couple of test fire warriors, one with Agrax and one with Nuln.

Just meed to figure out how to attach images.

nbsp
Shas

Post#3 » Feb 08 2018 11:13

Try https://imgur.com/a/3J6Yy/ not the best pics but hopefully it helps

Nowonmai
Shas

Post#4 » Feb 09 2018 06:59

If you download the citadel paint app, you can select the color you want. It shows what paints were used and then give an example of what it looks like. There are whites with both of the shades you're thinking about. I found it really helpful when I was choosing colors.
When the foe has certainty, confuse it.
When the foe seeks you out, device it
When the foe shows weakness, slay it.

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Feb 09 2018 09:15

Nowonmai wrote:If you download the citadel paint app, you can select the color you want. It shows what paints were used and then give an example of what it looks like. There are whites with both of the shades you're thinking about. I found it really helpful when I was choosing colors.

In that same app if you search the paint by model section there is even a Vior'la model in there with the white as how they do it (Celestra Grey (base) -> Ulthuan Grey (Layer) -> Agrax Earthshade (Shade) -> White Scar (Edge Highlight))

greenman019
Shas

Post#6 » Feb 09 2018 07:06

Thanks all. Very helpful :)

I've been sitting on my Tau for a very long time (Been a turbulent few months or so) and only recently got around to painting up some pathfinders. Using them to experiment with a few colour schemes.

Ifrit
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Feb 09 2018 11:46

So the Nuln Oil gives it a dark oily look while the Agrax is more of a dirt/muddy look.

Shas'O Ora
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Feb 10 2018 04:57

According to the Vior'la sept markings, which are already in the box.
I know they are ment to be used on white armour, but has anyone experience how they work on other colors?

Do they stay red even on darker backgrounds or do you get some purple?
Would like to use them on grey-blue cause I am really bad at painting straight lines by hand. :-?

Tau'va!

khayman
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Feb 10 2018 09:22

If you're interested in doing panel washes, I'd say neither. Vallejo's 76.513 Brown is between the two in terms of hue (WHEN DRY, when it's wet it looks a lot like light brown) , is way more pigmented and behaves a lot better in pin washes. In fact, I would go as far calling it a miracle product as I've never seen acrylic washes behave so well in terms of capillary action. I've completely abandoned oil paints for doing pin washes after I discovered this paint. Can't recommend this paint enough for painting Tau due to all these panels. Also behaves very well as a normal wash but you need to thin it down a bit, as I mentioned it's a lot more pigmented than GW's washes.

If you're not convinced by all that or have no access to Vallejo paints for some reason, then I'd go with Agrax Earthshade. Nuln oil produces a very cold, boring result against the white of the Vior'la.

khayman
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Feb 10 2018 09:25

Shas'O Ora wrote:According to the Vior'la sept markings, which are already in the box.
I know they are ment to be used on white armour, but has anyone experience how they work on other colors?

Would like to use them on grey-blue cause I am really bad at painting straight lines by hand. :-?

Tau'va!

They'll not be as bright, but they'll still look distinctively red, don't worry about it.

Shas'O Ora
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Feb 10 2018 01:30

khayman wrote:
Shas'O Ora wrote:According to the Vior'la sept markings, which are already in the box.

Tau'va!

They'll not be as bright, but they'll still look distinctively red, don't worry about it.

Thank you, glad to hear this :D

Return to “Painting & Artwork”