Into Silence: The Gauntlet

A shared universe of Tau stories, created by ATT posters.
knightofthewr
Shas'La
Shas'La

Into Silence: The Gauntlet

Post#1 » Apr 11 2015 09:43

Hello everybody, this is the first part of the third and final act of my mini-arc involving the Regulant Auspice and the Cadres traveling with her. I decided to change my format and focus slightly, inspired by this year's attack on our orbital. I hope you enjoy, and I welcome all feedback.

(+02.155 Raik’or, Regulant Auspice, Shas’Vre’Fo’tan’Shais’ka’s Sleeping Quarters)

I am sleeping when our enemy arrives at the far edge of our battle space. The alarms are blurry annoying sounds to my groggy mind. I am a little ashamed that despite the imminent danger, I am slow to rise. My brother’s drills have kept us alert, but their grueling pace is relentless and my body, so soon from the start of my rest, is protesting. Feeling a need to prove my value, embarrassed by my last battle, that I fell to ghost pains when my battlesuit was damaged, I jump up and shuffle for my gear, knocking over several holo-drives. I am not accustomed to disorder but these are resent acquisitions from my brother and I am unused to their presence in my spartan room. ‘The seven traits of battle,’ ‘The Mont’ka Tactician,’ The heir of Puretide,’ and ‘Applications of Kauyon’ are scattered all over my quarters. With a sigh of impatience, I pick them up. Having looked at them when I have a few quiet moments to myself, I find myself grudgingly interested. I wish to study other tactics, to know as many plans and tactics as I can, to weigh them against the Tel’ka and to use them. I am convinced that the Tide Strike is a solid method of war, swift and versatile, but I now secretly harbor doubts that it will always be the best choice. I feel apprehension at the thought, as though I have committed some betrayal against my sept, Fo’tan. My brother has shaken my faith, but I am grateful that he believes I can become Shas’O. I finish with my fatigues and reflect that I believe the same for him.

My armor feels heavy, and though I am more awake, I fumble with the first few clasps. It has been a raik’or now and I am feeling pressured to finish. Thoughts of my security team already gathering weapons make me hurry, though rushing only seems to make me fumble more. I stop and refocus, allowing my movements to take on their normal and practiced routine. Most of our cadre is still donning armor as I leave, fitting my wrist coms and aerial as I move to the nearest arms locker. Despite my misgivings toward the Tau’n Shas’El, I am glad that she had made this suggestion, even more that my brother allowed it. Rather than a centralized arms locker, under El’Ol’savon’s direction, smaller lockers have been established all throughout the ship. Logistics, and inventory have become a difficult, but the distribution of arms is much faster. The Fio’la behind the counter is stoic but dutiful, handing me a grenade pack and three cartridges. When he brings back my rifle, I give it a check to make sure it is mine. Most fire warrior make small modifications and rebalances to their weapons. I have extra weight in the shoulder stalk to compensate for heavier special coated resonators. After Seumone, I had the Fio’ui technicians add a special diamond patterned grip. The instant the rifle is in my hands I know it is mine. I fit my gear to my armor, securing the grenade pack to my belt and the two extra cartridges into the charging station on my pack. I keep the third cartridge in my hand and fit the unloaded rifle to a slot on my pack. Until given permission from the Shas’Els or the Kor’El, no one will carry live weapons on board.

I exit the corridor to the cargo deck that we are using a staging area. Slightly dismayed, I see that my entire security team is waiting for me. By the way they are standing; they have been there for a few raik’ors, already finalizing a round of equipment checks. As I approach, they straighten. Shas’Ui’Lar’ka stands in front, as straight as new pulse rifle. I am glad to see slung rifles and cartridges in hand, instilled from the discipline of my team’s Shas’Ui. She is only one Tau’cyr younger than me and both my brother and I believe she is ready for her next trial by fire.

“Sir, Wind Actual is ready.”

I dislike the code name. It is not part of the cadre’s assigned list and is clearly intended to be taken from my name. She means well but the name implies a separation from the cadre and I will not have it at all.

“Shas’Ui, those are not our cadre’s assigned code names. We are “swords” or “lances” and El’Sha’nan prefers to save the “Lance” code name for vehicles,” I say with a firm, but calm tone.

“Sir, it was El’Sha’nan that gave us that designation,” she replies, slightly confused.

Internally, I am annoyed at the prospect. My brother is trying to push me out of the cadre and into one of my own. I have been Shas’vre for less than a Tau’cyr. I am behind others of my rank in battlesuit proficiency and have only started to discover the wider realm of tactics. I am terrified by the prospect of leading, but also exhilarated too. I want a command, but not this Rotaa.

“Sir” says Ui’Lar’ka firmly, shaking my out of my musings.

“If so ordered, then we obey Shas’ui,” I reply.

She checks my gear. It is in good order. I look over my security team. They seem anxious, some are pacing while others are practicing breathing techniques for calming. I am trying not to let my nervousness reach my face, but in the pit of my abdomen, I feel it. Only Ui’Lar’ka looks truly calm and in this moment, I think that she is embodiment of a perfect line warrior. She carries her veteran status in her movement, demeanor, and her tone, and more than anything that calms the others. I had chided El’Sha’nan for doing the same thing, only now do I understand. We talk for a little while discussing our protective zones and review various routes and plans, before I receive a summons to the bridge on my wrist com.

The entire ship is alive and the crew’s fevered pace slows my ascent; the two fio'tek colored shas’la guarding the entrance slow it even more. I have come to understand that this is not about Fo’tan and the empire. It is a personal matter between two rival cadres, between El’Ol’savon and El’Sha’nan. I feel that it is a foolish, childish debate especially with a deadly enemy hunting us. I want to blame it all on El’Ol’savon, but my brother has become stubborn, resisting every change or policy she proposes. I shake my head and am about to pull rank when the guards back down and let me pass. As I enter, I see that each ring is a contained ful’asso of excitement. I make my way down, spotting several crates loaded with pulse pistols and cartridges. There are six Tau huddled around the raise Holo table. My brother and Vre’Mua’da are both present as is Kor’El’U’ten. Opposite them, Ol’Savon is leaning against the table flanked by her command team. Outside the ring, four more fio’tek colored shas’la face outward, their carbines drawn across their chests. Much has happened in the past few rotaa, including the escalation of Fire caste entourages on the bridge. El’Ol’Savon’s guards are a new addition, but I ignore the shas’la and quickly move around them when they try to block my way.

“One would think that we are not part of the same empire.”

I mean it as a joke, but only the Kor’El chuckles. Even Vre’Mua’da looks annoyed.

Uncomfortable with the scrutiny, I change the subject and ask, “We are going to arm the bridge crew?”

I am more than a little wary of handing firearms to untrained personnel, especially in an enclosed space.

“The bridge is likely to be the first target of a boarding action. We will need every shooter if we are to repel it,” replies El’Ol’savon defensively.

I can tell she is impatient and from the look on Vre’Mua’da’s face that I have stepped into a fu’lasso of my own. I see her logic, knowing that I would want the chance to fight back if it came to it.

“They are untrained and will be as much a danger to themselves as our enemies,” says my brother, his prosthetic arm flexing.

He is echoing my earlier concern but I can see El’Ol’savon’s line of reasoning. Our warriors are ill prepared and ill-suited to deal with Var’sin’da at close quarters. Only with overwhelming fire power or surprise can we overcome their crude barbaric tactics. If both cadres had been at full strength I could side with my brother, however the battles of this mission have drastically dropped the number of battle ready fire caste. I hope that the Kor’El might side with El’Ol’savon, perhaps even angered by my brother’s insult to his crew. Instead he is only half listening as the two commanders repeat their points, throwing in veiled insults and jabs. I am beside myself. El’Sha’nan, who has always curved my temper, guided me to listen, who is a pillar of togetherness, serving duty over personal pride is refusing to see reason. This rivalry has really has pushed my brother and I realize that I must stop this before he loses his way. The irony is not lost on me, and I almost want to laugh. My hand on El’Sha’nan’s shoulder pulls him back from the escalating argument.

I turn him away from the other commander, and whisper, “Brother what are you doing?”

He looks confused, and I continue before he can speak.

“You are not fighting the enemy, but a fellow commander.”

“Even after all we have done, she fights me at every decision. She offers no explanation and refuses to listen to mine. We have bled together. It was our cadre that saved hers, yet she still thinks that I am some rebel or fool,” he whispers back.

I sigh, for my spirit agrees with him, but even I, the stubborn Vre’Shais’ka can see her logic.

“Brother…, you are wrong. She is not belligerently arguing with you. It is you that is being Mont’sha. You have always respected others talents, their knowledge and experience. So why do you question hers? Think, we are of Fo’tan, armored cadre of the open fields and wide avenues of Gue’la cities, not in the cramped corridors of a Kor ship.”

Shock wracks my brother’s face for just a moment. I am expecting anger to follow, for a hurt look or reply of my betrayal, but he just closes his eyes, concentrating. He shakes his head, and his brow furrows. When he opens them again, he is blushing and ashamed.

“I must have really stepped into it, if it is you telling me of my missteps,” he states with a regretful sigh.

I would have raged, accused my brother of cowardice, of betrayal. That is the difference between him and me, and why I believe that El’Sha’nan is the best reflection of Fo’tan. I suddenly wonder how many times my brother has been on the other end of this conversation with me.

“Let’s get this over with,” he says with a weak smile.

We turn back to the Holo-table. El’Ol’savon is about to speak, but my brother holds up his prosthetic hand for silence.

“Shas’El’Ol’savon, we have many differences, but we are both fire caste, a brother and sister in battle, both having bled for the Greater Good and the Empire. I have often prided myself on drawing wisdom from many sources, and in my pursuit to establish my authority; I have jeopardized the mission and have not treated you as a fellow Shas’El. Allow me to apologize. Effective immediately and for the duration of the Var’Sin’da attack I pass mission authority over to you, and will be subordinate to all your decisions in regards to our defense, but expect that I will have questions and concerns. You will address me with the same respect. And your warriors will stop harrying mine, especially my officers. “

I am stunned into silence, the entire bridge is silent. Even the Kor’El is now fully paying attention. I realize that I should not have expected a different outcome. El’Sha’nan has made an attempt to amend the situation, and so like him, has gone too far.

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Into Silence: The Gauntlet

Post#2 » Apr 12 2015 09:56

Only one criticism: WAY TOO SHORT! :-? Just when things start to get rolling...where's the rest of it?

Alright so I guess I just have to wait...but I'm not happy about it! :::(
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

knightofthewr
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Apr 12 2015 11:07

Thanks a lot Tauman. That means a lot. Don't worry more is coming every few days. :evil:

Aldarion
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Apr 13 2015 08:43

very good!. keep working !! :D
Training in clonetrooper training center BS3!, ja!

knightofthewr
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Apr 13 2015 10:16

(+25.483 Raik’ors, Regulant Auspice, Bridge)

In the time since we discovered that we were being hunted we have not been idle. The fire caste have been drilling, becoming acclimated with the ship’s layout and practicing deploying from hatches and maintenance corridors. Despite our efforts, it injuries my warrior pride to admit that if we survive this battle, it will be due to our Fio’fann and Kor’fann. They are the ones that are giving us the best chance at survival. Their plans have a high cost but our mission is becoming increasingly important every raik’or, we must uncover what happened to the Path Resurgent; to warn them of the impending attack or to warn the empire if they are destroyed. I feel worry about any foe that could threaten the Path Resurgent and its fleet, but shift my focus to the battle at hand, studying the holo table with the other assembled command.

The fio’fann have worked on two problems, how to overcome our enemy’s stealth and how to best deliver our weapons effectively. They have taken every Kor’vessa on board and most of our vehicles grav systems. I had initially protested this, but promises to replace them assuage me. Kor’El’U’ten and his bridge officers have devised most of our battle strategy, and though they are unused to the term, I recognize their plan as an application of Kauyon. El’U’ten has settled on this area to do battle for that very reason. I do not know its name but I understand the choice. We are anchored on the edge of a unique asteroid field. The Fio’fann have told me that it has taken thousands of Tau’cyr to form, that the colorful radioactive bands of nebula that envelop the field, protect its steady gentle stream from violent impacts. The view is breathtaking, reflecting a harmony rare to void of space. I feel sadness knowing that our presence here will mar it, and I know that the Kor’fann must feel it to. They carry on in their duties however, making me restless for action. As the three new images appear on the Holo-table, cheers and looks of those around me tell that the Fio’fann efforts have been successful. The images are murky cloudy blobs but stable, and can be tracked.

It is not the Regulant’s sensor suite that gives us the ability to see our foe, though it has been repaired and recalibrated. Our fio’fann know that our foe could still elude it. Instead they have used many of the drones, deploying them in a steady position around the ship. Each drone giving the ship hundreds of refined eyes that detect not energy, spectra, nor heat but the disappearance of stars. When a star is distorted or disappears from view, the drone knows something has passed between it and the star. Linked together in a stereoscopic network hundreds strong, the kor’vessa can triangulate an object’s size and position before relaying and warning the ship of an approach.

We are no longer blind, but it appears our foe is not either. Their steady approach is daunting, for despite of the thousands of objects in our proximity and the radiation interference from the nebula, all three enemy clouds are moving straight toward us with seeming purpose. I am not overly familiar with the Kor’El, but in the short time we have worked together, this is the first time I see him smile. It slips his mask of tight concentration as he orders the ship forward into the asteroid field. We are feigning a retreat, bleeding plasma to help sell the lie. The images of the ships clear up for just a moment and as our ship shakes, I realize that they have fired at us. I am officially in a space battle, but dislike the strange silence of it. I am unnerved by the lack of the chaos, of shouts and fire, and further unnerved that a darker part of me is craving it. Only my brother and El’Ol’savon seem unaffected among the assembled fire caste. Reports of superficial damage come down from the rings but El’U’ten remains undeterred. It is a couple raik’ors of this one sided exchange as our ship stretches closer to the relative safety of the asteroid field. The three clouds are fast, closing in at an impossible rate, though the senior Tau still seem unafraid. They are stoic until the Kor’El orders a launch of a gravitic missiles and for the drones to begin phase two. Both fire caste commanders hiss in annoyance.

In addition to our hundreds of new eyes, teams of drones have been fitted with grav tows, some make-shift from borrowed grav systems. Using information from our expanded sight network, these drone teams drag along dormant gravitic missiles in the hopes to remain undetected, only activating at the last possible moment. Close enough to the asteroid field to be confused, the Var’Sin’da ships would have little time to react. It is the first blow of the Kauyon trap that we have preparing since our arrival. Through the holo-disks I have learned that the Kauyon relies on careful timing. Some Shas’O spend lifetimes practicing this art, never fully reaching mastery. Only from commanders’ displeasure can I tell that the Kor’El has fired too soon. I struggle to understand why, to see what they see but as the holo table plays out our situation I begin to understand. Despite their closing speed, all three craft are still far away from the asteroid field when the gravitic missiles approach. The enemy ships are holding a tight formation, as El’U’ten had predicted, protecting each other with defensive fire that easily destroys the salvo fired from the Regulant. One by one the hidden missiles appear on the table, obviously too far from the field to be anything but additional munitions. The foe have no chance of stopping them all, but the premature firing has bought them a few more seconds of warning. Worse, it has exposed the presence of our drones out in the void. The holo table chimes each time a missile makes contact, cheers erupting from all three rings. For a raik’an, I think that despite the hits, the ships have all survived, but as they continue their pursuit, one of the dark clouds lists before breaking apart and disappearing. The other small cloud has is less hazy, and I can make out smooth yet sharp curves betraying its shape. A wave suddenly cascades out from the largest ship, and we suddenly lose feed from the holo-table. Even the Kor’El looks confused. He turns, speaking into the rings.

“What has happened?”

His first ring officer, Kor’Vre'Nu’sau responds back,” it is some form of electro-magnetic pulse, our drones are rebooting. Most have nearly over-heated.”

“Turn us around, bring the Ion Accelerators online and load our last spread,” said the Kor’El.

“Sir?” she asks.

“Turn us around, bring the Ion Accelerators online and load our last spread, Kor’Vre,” repeats the Kor’El.

I share her confusion at the Kor’El’s order. My brother, El’Ol’savon and Vre’Mua’da look just as confused. The images return to the holo-table, and I realize that the enemy ships have stopped. They are no longer clouds but sharp sleek ships, bright and clear, giving me my first look at their true profile.

“The network has rebooted,” says my brother.

“No, it hasn’t, Shas’El. It is being destroyed,” says El’U’ten.

Their clear images of the enemy ships indicate constant firing as they destroy our heat visible drones.

“Fire the Gravitics as soon as you are able, full spread and speed. Overcharge the accelerators but hold them until my mark,” says El’U’ten.

Despite his previous mistake, his voice is collected and calm as ever. I find myself wanting to scream for him. I turn back to the table as our ship now barrels down on the enemy. Someone from behind shouts that the drones are down to 62% capacity. I release a breath when the gravitics are fired.

“Move the drone network into point blank range with the closest target.”

“But sir, that will only speed the loss of dro…”

“Do it, Kor’Vre,” says El’U’ten.

His voice is still calm, only the interruption betraying the order’s urgency. Several of the Kor’fann gasp in shock. The Kor’El turns back, focusing on the holo-table. I cannot tear my gaze from the images of the two ships. Neither have moved as we approach, nor adjusted their position despite the incoming missiles.

“The drone network is at 54%, Kor’El.”

I want desperately for the missiles to move faster, to reach the ships now. I expect that any moment they will turn, or glide out of their path, but neither ship moves.

“48%”

“41%”

The last images of the missiles disappear right before contact indicators chime out. The smaller ship does not break apart so much as disintegrates, its image on the holo-table flickering out like embers of a dying flame. I realize what the Kor’El had done. Sacrificing the overheating drones had placed the enemy in a target saturated zone. Confused, they must not have even seen the missiles.

“Kor’Ui’Ol’ni, bring us about to face the last ship, be ready to turn us around as soon as we have fired, and then make all available speed back onto our original course,” says El’U’ten.

“Sir, the drone network is at 36%. ”

The death of its last escort however galvanizes the last ship into action and it moves toward us once more.

“Belay that, turn now Kor’ui, full thrust.”

I feel the pull of the ship under me and I nearly lose my footing.

“Give the engines everything, divert power from weapons and sensors if you must,” says El’U’ten.

I begin to feel a queasy lurch in the pit of my stomach as the Regulant forces us back onto our original course. I am still recovering, when the ship shakes, this time hard.

“We have made them angry, I would say,” El’U’ten says, his tight smile returning.

No one else on the bridge shares the Kor’el’s grim humor as the enemy ship continues to chase and fire at us.

My brother and El’Ol’savon both have worry on their faces.

“Will we make it through before they reach us?” she asks.

“I don’t know,” replies El’U’ten.

The Regulant pushes through the nebula, its banded radiation resisting our ship’s flight, allowing the Var’sin’da vessel closes the distance. Reaching the asteroid belt has earned us a reprieve from its firing, but I remind myself that this is only because they want to board us not destroy our ship, to make us slaves or worse. I realize that I am still holding my pulse cartridge. It feels heavy and reassuring. I grip it tight. We come into the actual asteroid field as our enemy enters the nebula band. Despite the sleek profile and famed spatial mastery, their ship slows as well. Still our ship must maneuver carefully, as navigation through even this gentle field could be fatal. Through the skill of the Kor’fann, the Regulant is almost across when the Var’Sin’da ship breaks through. The impossible handling of their ship allows them to again start to close the gap. They even fire at us, risking the calm of the field should they miss. They do not and we are rocked slightly off course. A countdown display appears as we close on the last nebula band and our freedom, but I know we will not make it before the Var’sin’da close.

The three senior tau share a nod.

My brother says, “Do it, Kor’El.”

The kor’el face becomes pained before he turns, “Enact phase 3, begin the detonations.”

In addition to the missiles, a third group of Kor and Fio’fann took great pains to set seismic charges at key positions across the asteroid belt. Meant as the final blow of the kauyon trap, the survivors of the missile barrage would have followed through the asteroid field. At the first moment the Regulant Auspice was clear, we would detonate these seismic charges, setting off a cascading storm of space rock. The nebulae would ensure that the belt’s new found violence was contained, and Var’sin’da vessels would be destroyed.

We had never intended to detonate the explosives while the Regulant was inside but left with no good choices I know that I would make the same decision. The holo-table gives us images of the oncoming hellstorm, both awesome and tragic. The gentle river explodes into a random and chaotic never-ending clash of shattering rock. Dust particles are pulled into the nebula, polluting the bands with muted brown gray clouds. They become polarized, releasing magnetic and electrical shock waves that remind me of lightning storms during the rainy season on Fo’tan. My moment of awestruck ends as I am thrown hard into the deck. I try to stand, but am slammed against the deck again, and then again. I stop attempting to rise as the violent shaking becomes frequent. I feel as though the entire ship will tear apart. The bridge light dies and as we endure the ferocity of the stars, screams and shouts break out in the darkness, until it abruptly stops. Lights around the bridge comes back on. For a raik’or, everyone is relieved and confused until the sensor-net console explodes in a burst of electricity, the kor’ui manning the post crumpling to the ground. A hum softly builds all around us like the buzzing of bees and I feel heat buildup on the holo-table, jerking my hand away just as lightning arcs out across it. The images flicker on and off as other arcing explosions appear across bridge consoles before the Kor’El orders a shutdown of every system other than helms and navigation. We have been knocked or driven into the nebula to face a different form of destruction.

“Kor’Ui’Ol’ni maximum thrust, bring us out of the storm,” says the Kor’El.

“Sir that will most likely result in an engine burnout” the Kor’Ui shouts nervously.

“By the Aun’, Do as El’U’ten tells you!,” I shout, surprised at my own outburst.

Despite my breach of etiquette, the frightened kor’ui listens. The bridge lights fade to black as the hum continues to grow. Only the electricity dancing across the walls and ceiling keeps the bridge from total darkness. One of the deadly arcs collapses on a Shas’la. A terrible noise is competing with the now loud hum and I realize that I am screaming, many of us are.

It is an eternity and no time at all when a second silence descends on the bridge. Lights are restored, consoles are on fire, and there are dead tau’fann all around me. The blast shields lower and reveal the carnage we have wrought. As we drift away, I see the nebula on either side is no longer the peaceful spectral band. An ugly dark brownish murk fills them, tainting the brilliant hues that were only visible moments before. Wicked lightning plays all along its surface, like a menacing wild snakes, foreboding any entry. The asteroids behind it are now a chaotic dance of randomly colliding rocks, an endless cascade of destruction. More systems are brought back online, and much to all of our dismay, the Regulant’s engines are dead.

We think nothing of the last eldar ship. It had surely been destroyed, if not by the gauntlet of crashing asteroids, then by the deadly storms of the outer nebula. Nevertheless whether driven by hatred or fate, it emerges from the storm. It is no longer invisible, or capable of firing. It is a flaming hulk of eldar composite carried on by the last vestiges of its forward momentum. Even as it is dying, it alters its heading, moving toward us again. A last desperate charge of an already dead ship and we are powerless to avoid it. El’U’ten is still surprisingly calm as he asks about weapons and thrusters, but as his Kor’fann deny him a means to save us, I see a frown form as he looks to the remaining Shas’fann.

“I think that you should report to your security teams now.”

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Apr 13 2015 05:49

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :eek: :dead: :eek:
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

T113
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#7 » Apr 14 2015 02:42

Loving the first person perspective and each section is perfectly ended, so much tension :eek:. Going to have sleepless nights now until the next post lol :::(
The Future is uncertain. To stagnate is to die!

knightofthewr
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Apr 15 2015 10:00

Thank you guys for the compliments.... Without further ado

(+32.887 Raik’ors, Regulant Auspice, Bridge)

The Var’sin’da board IN the bowels of the Regulant, before their ship finally breaks apart. Most of their assault pods are never make it, caught in the wake and explosions of their dying ship. Still, there are an alarming number of estimated enemy on board. El’Ol’savon, has a simple strategy, using the security teams to create a net that will sweep through lower decks. Once a deck is secured, the teams will push down into the next, preventing the enemy from moving up into the upper decks and bridge. She wants us to use Kauyon ambushes, popping out of hatches and maintenance tunnels to surprise our foe. I modify her tactic, until it resembles a Tel’ka strike.

As I reach the staging deck, I am caught in a stream of frightened and confused crew. The throng is loud, and as I have to push my way through. I try yelling over them, ordering them futilely to designated shelters.

Several of the teams have left the storage dock when I arrive. Upon seeing me, my team moves up. They seem shaken but otherwise alright.

“What is happening sir?“ asks Ui’Lar’ka.

I signal to move, and as we file out of the dock to our first position, I brief my team. They are elated, assured that we have won, but I make sure they understand.

“Shas’la, we are not victorious, not until the last foe has surrendered, fled or has been eliminated, do you understand?”

They nod and become more alert. We are loading into our designated maintenance tunnel when we receive the signal to load our pulse carbines and rifles. In almost complete unison, the sound of six loading motors echo off tunnel walls. The passage is long, but I find it mildly discomforting, a cold and confining space for six tall armored Shas’fann. We wait, the occasional sigh or cough are only break in the team’s noise discipline. My wrist chronometer shows that only a few raik’or have passed, but it feels like an eternity. Finally I hear El’Ol’savon whispered voice in my earpiece.

“You have eight Var’sin’da approaching, be ready.”

I wonder if she whispers because of our foes heighted senses or because of the nature of our mission, or perhaps both. Nevertheless I hold my breath and use hand signals to order my team to the far end of the tunnel. Our enemy has no fear though and despite their acclaimed stealth and agility, we hear them approach. They scrap weapons against our walls and talk with no concern for revealing their position. Some of the voices are cruel and guttural, almost shouting. Others are laughing as they pass, and their arrogance or stupidity disgust me. I stand in front of a tunnel hatch, signaling my team on the other end that I will begin the ambush. Pulling two photon grenades, I activate them as the door opens almost silently. The sliding grenades cause my foes to turn, firing faster than I would have thought possible. I barely duck back into the relative safety of the tunnel. They keep firing until the telltale blasts of my grenades go off. I break from the corridor, but see that several are still on their feet, relatively unshaken by my photon grenades. They fire again and I run, cursing and diving into a room almost across the corridor. I am not hit but several of the enemy rounds whistle by or graze my armor. Their weapon shards punch and stick into the wall as I land flat against on the deck. The fire slackens and I pop out taking two quick shots before they return fire. Using my diversion, my team files out behind our enemy, quietly making for other entrance ways and rooms to use as cover before they too fire into the enemy , filling the air with rapid bursts of pulse fire and more photons. The Var’sin’da turn reactively to my team and I use the opportunity to fire into them. Caught between us, it is not long before only two var’sin’da are left, one I believe to be a male and the other, a female, who I assume to be the group leader. I order a ceasefire, and while training my weapon at them, I exit the corridor. The male stands and drops his weapons, beginning to raise his hands. The leader only levels her pistol at his chest. I watch in horror as she guns down her own soldier before turning and bounding toward me. She is utterly alien and despite that she is coming to kill me I am strangely in awe at her graceful dives and rolls as she dances away from my chasing pulse fire. She leaps. It is an impossible jump, giving me the impression that she is somehow flying. My rifle fires more instinctively rather than through conscious choice, and in midair she twists, attempting to avoid the fatal rounds. Still my shots are true and at this range, tear through her body, punching her down and causing her to fall short of my position. Her broken body is somehow still breathing raggedly as I approach, but her scared unfocused eyes soon glaze over. Her dead face is twisted, and I cannot tell if it is in a grimace or a smile. My team check over the rest of the fallen to make sure we are secure. At first I think that everyone is fine, until Shas’la’He’tak falls. We rush to him, finding one of the alien shards stuck in his leg. No one speaks as we carry him to the nearest aid station. I want to stay, to make sure my fire warrior will be fine but we have other areas to protect and more foes to hunt.

My team pulls variations of our same trap at several locations deeper and deeper into the Regulant’s bowels. El’Ol’savon’s voice guides us from target to target as we are systematically clearing each deck. Most of our foe refuse to surrender, but there are few or those that are wounded but alive. We bind them and place them into sealed rooms. My first fire warrior dies when we encounter a group with some rapid fire cannon that pierces the fio’tek of the closest rooms. We avenge the Shas’la’s death, and link up with another depleted team before merging. Soon, my team is a mix of our cadre and El’Ol’savon’s. We are mopping up our fifth firefight and two more shas’la are down.

“Oracle Actual, this is Wind Actual, our target is destroyed. I have more wounded, poisoned.” I report.

“Stand by wind….”

The line is still open and I can still hear El’Ol’Savon’s voice though it is too faint to make out the words. There is panic in her tone and my line is dropped. I worry the bridge is attacked, surprised at how our foe have gotten past us.

The ship wide audio com activates and I hear the Shas’El’s voice, “All available security teams, to the core now!”

The order is almost a scream. I run, pushing my legs as fast as I can. We all are. Everyone knows what the enemy is after and if they succeed, we will all die. By some unknown virtue, we run unimpeded, and do not encounter any enemies as we go. Running along the corridors leaves us terribly exposed, but I cannot stop. We come to another hatch, and I haphazardly climb down part way before leaping down and landing hard on my hooves. I feel pain shoot up my legs but continue to move toward the core.

I had once postulated that capturing an enemy ship would be a near impossible task. Boarding an unfamiliar vessel can and is a disorienting experience. It strange corridors and hatches can become a labyrinth defeating any targets or capture goals. Still some facts are always true. No ship was a true labyrinth, and there were always large power or heat sources present. Whether through biology, or technology, every encountered species that I know of has created or found means to detect these energies. From there, the most daunting part of boarding an enemy vessel, is mitigated, because it is always easy to find the largest source of power, once inside. That is what is at our core, that is what our enemy has found.

We arrive on the core deck and near the hatch, I stop the team as we find the bodies of butchered Fio’fann. All of them are savaged, laying in pools of their own blood. Two are missing their faces. I am sickened, but the anger in my blood stirs and I order my team forward again. We are close to T-intersection, and I halt my team once more. Four lifeless fire warriors lay at the intersection, their fio’tek colored armor and rifles are stained cobalt. I want a kor’vessa to scout the intersection as I suspect a trap but make due as I remove my shoulder shield and toss it in the juncture. It does not even hit the ground before two streams of intense fire hit it repeatedly.

“Oracle Actual, this is Wind Actual, my team is close but we are blocked by heavy weapons fire. I need an alternate route in.”

I get no response, and try again but still receive no word. I again entertain the idea that somehow the Var’sin’da have slipped past us, and are even now taking over the bridge, but again El’Ol’savon’s voice rings out on the ship’s audio coms. It repeats the order to move to the Core, this time more calm, though I still sense its urgency.

“We are on our own,” I say flatly.

I search my wrist com for schematics, attempting to find any tunnels or hatches that will lead us past the Var’sin’da choke point, but realize that our foe has chosen well.

Ui’Lar’ka asks me, “What is the plan, Shas’vre? A tel’ka firefight, I could swing around, to the other side of the intersection, make them split their fire between us. We would have fire superiority. ”

I consider it, in addition to the raik’ors it would take for any of them to get into position, the choke point will most likely have cover, and while we could prevail, the fire fight would be long and protracted, coming down to ammunition most likely. Every moment we are delayed, our foe comes closer to destroying the core. I reach an unfavorable conclusion and I find myself slightly hesitant to say the order.

“No, Shas’Ui, Mont’ka assault, hard and fast with grenades first,” I say pulling my last two grenades.

My cadre’s fire warriors twist in question.

Ui’Lar’ka asks, “Shas’vre?”

“Is there confusion about the order, Shas’Ui?”

She stiffens, “No Shas’vre.”

We risk our heads and hands as the Shas’ui and I toss the last of our photons , giving me my only assessment of chokepoint. Further down, our foe has stacked crates on either side of the opening, but did not have enough to make an effective barrier as the center is open and exposed. More fire warrior bodies lie between us and incomplete barricade. I cut my observation pull back as shards slice into the air next to me. As soon as we hear the explosions, I round the corner.

“Make for the center,” I shout as we run.

Our photons have worked and as we approach, no enemy fire greets us. I stumble, nearly tripping over a fallen brother, and several of my team passes me. My blood fires up and I redouble my pace, trying to regain my place at the lead. One of the Var’sin’da stands. He is still disoriented, but reaches out for the long barreled weapon sitting in front of him resting on the crates. I start firing, as does my team, but the enemy warrior is undeterred, managing to grab the weapon and fire. I warn my team to evade and throw myself to the ground. The shots are wild but furious and fast, ensuring that a few still find their mark. I watch both my camouflaged shas’la drop. I take a knee and aim, avenging their deaths. We rise, and move through the barricade. As we pass, I fire into another var’sin’da, still dazed on the ground. It is not an honorable kill, but I must hurry to the core and can leave no enemy behind.

The room housing the core is rather large. Red lights are blinking through a thick white steam as my team of four enters. At first, we see nothing until one of El’Ol’savon’s shas’la activate a manual vent. We train our weapons as the steam clears to a light haze. There are at least a dozen dead fire warriors, mingled with just as many var’sin’da. There are pools of blood and torn bodies all over the deck. The glowing core has several strange alien devices near it. I recognize one as the device jamming our coms, similar in its shape and glow from recordings taken by Vre’Mua’da’s battlesuit. I take stock of the fallen around me and realize that many of the fire warriors closest to us are lying face down, wounds and gashes across their backsides and legs. I turn but cannot even finish the word “ambush” as two of our foe drop from the ceiling. One shoots a pistol as they drop and I feel a something hit me in my abdomen. A single shard sticking out of my armor. The shooter drops onto the Shas’la on my left. I move to help but the foe lands on his hands, kicking out at me with both of his feet. The force of the blow knocks me back and off my feet. I am dazed and can only hear Ui’lar’ka and the other shas’la wrestling with the other foe. I roll to the deck, and slam solidly into the wall, leaving me breathless and shocked. My assailant rises, tall and lithe as any of his kind. His armor is jet black, but slightly more ornate than many of the other var’sin’da onboard. From the alien’s belt, hang grizzly trophies. Among them are a cracked helmet of a Gue’ron’sha and half a dozen severed rotting hands. Most sickening I see flesh hanging from hooks baring the faces of gue’la and tau alike. He pulls a knife, struggling with the helm my fallen shas’la, with no concern for his comrade, who is still struggling with the rest of my team. My blood is on fire again, and I make to pounce. My foe pays no mind, and as he struggles to claim his next trophy, I crash into him. We break free, and I manage to just dodge his first slice, but his movement are a blur and I do not even see his knee coming toward my stomach. It connects, driving the shard farther in and slicing into my skin. As I have lost my rifle, I try to punch him, but he easily drops under the clumsy strike. He laughs as he palms my knee and I drop, shouting in pain. I grab out and reach his knife wielding hand. I grip it and we both fall together. He manages to land on top of me and we struggle on the floor. He strikes me again and again, but I refuse to let go of his hand, knowing to do so will be my death. Finally he changes tactics and instead puts all of his strength and weight into driving the knife into my exposed shoulder. At first, I can match him, but the blade begins to drop, closer and closer. My life organ is pumping faster and faster, and I use a last surge of energy. My foe, however is ready for it, and I only manage to move the blade back for second. I glare hatefully at him. He smiles in return and begins speaking in a foreign tongue. I cannot understand his words but they sound gloating and triumphant. I cannot stop the blade, but cannot stop fighting either, until a familiar hum builds and my would-be killer’s head explodes, showering me in alien blood and gore. Standing behind is Ui’Lar’ka, her carbine leveled. Her face is a bloody mess, and she is panting. The shas’la at her side is holding his lifeless arm. My body and head ache from pain and my face feels swollen.

I throw off the dead var’sin’da and rise unsteadily, disoriented from the beating I have endured and start looking for my fallen rifle. I pick it up and move closer the alien jammer. I kick the device on to its side and fire. It sparks, ending in a lackluster explosion. Suddenly my wrist com blazes to life with chatter.

I transmit, “Cowre secwurwed.”
Last edited by knightofthewr on Apr 16 2015 12:28, edited 1 time in total.

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Apr 15 2015 06:37

As Bob the Dwarf might say: "That' there's was a mighty good shoot'em-up knightofthewr! Why it's probably the best darn shoot'em-up I've read so far on A.T.T.!" :P

Really it was worth the wait! Though so many of the stories here seem to lack action (mine included!), that I wish there was a bit more action adventure in all of the stories. :smile:

Minor stuff: There are always those annoying typos, didn't quote any as a close re-reading will reveal them. Hey that's why there is an EDIT button!

Some plot details - Not criticism but just stuff to mull over that's all:

1). The main character checks his 'wrist chronometer'. but most of us gue'la in the 21st century have given up those wrist bound devices. Do you think maybe his helmet's HUD (Heads-Up-Display) would have a chronometer display? Same goes for the map of the ships interior, which each squad member could see on their own HUD?

2). They have to whisper at one point, but they all have antenna and ear pieces. Couldn't they 'broadcast' to each other in some kind of 'silent' mode?

3). The affect of pulse rifle/carbine fire on a humanoid body. Str5/Ap5 means the pulse rounds hit with a force as great as a Heavy Bolter round. More powerful that a standard Space Marine bolter which is Str4/Ap5. (Think of the video game Space Marine when an Ork get's hit with a bolter round - only worse! The U.S. Army slang for this is 'bug splat'.

4). Photon grenades are meant to stun an armoured opponent by blinding and deafening them on open ground. What if they're used in the confined space like a bunker, trench, or a ship's corridor? Think about this for a moment...I'll wait and watch a WWII Popeye cartoon while you're thinking. O.k. I'm back, so are you done? Got it right?! Yeah, they would be just like frag grenades, but without shrapnel. They'd kill outright and not just stun the enemy! It seemed like you were sort of heading in that direction; but I couldn't really tell if the photon grenades killed the Eldar or just stunned them?

Hope all of this helps? ;) Overall a great story!
Last edited by TauMan on Apr 15 2015 08:27, edited 1 time in total.
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

knightofthewr
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#10 » Apr 15 2015 08:21

TauMan wrote:As Bob the Dwarf might say: "That' there's was a mighty good shoot'em-up knightofthewr! Why it's probably the best darn shoot'em-up I've read so far on A.T.T.!" :P

Really it was worth the wait! Though so many of the stories here seem to lack action (mine included!), that I wish there was a bit more action adventure in all of the stories. :smile:

Thank you again Tauman for all the kind words.

TauMan wrote:Minor stuff: There are always those annoying typos, didn't quote them as a close re-reading will make them stand out. Hey that's why there is an EDIT button!

Grammar and typos, my only weaknesses (I wish). Thanks I will try and hunt those little buggers down, I have re-read this thing so many times I might have developed some sorta tunnel vision. :-?

TauMan wrote:Some plot details - Not criticism but just stuff to mull over that's all:

1). The main character checks his 'wrist chronometer'. but most of us gue'la in the 21st century have given up those wrist bound devices. Do you think maybe his helmet's HUD (Heads-Up-Display) would have a chronometer display? Same goes for the map of the ships interior, which each squad member could see on their own HUD?

I had imagined that Vre'Shais'ka is not wearing a helmet, being one of those crazy "I am invincible" Fo'tanian lead from the front types.

TauMan wrote:2). They have to whisper at one point, but they all have antenna and ear pieces. Couldn't they 'broadcast' to each other in some kind of 'silent' mode?

El'Ol'savon is still on the bridge and is whispering into his earpiece, I guess that I should have made that more clear, sorry for the confusion, good catch.

TauMan wrote:3). The affect of pulse rifle/carbine fire on a humanoid body. Str5/Ap5 means the pulse rounds hit with a force as great as a Heavy Bolter round. More powerful that a standard Space Marine bolter which is Str4/Ap5. (Think of the video game Space Marine when an Ork get's hit with a bolter round - only worse! The U.S. Army slang for this is 'bug splat'.

I will PM you with an answer for this one as I am not sure my answer, though scientific (possibly) would meet with the orbital's community standards.

TauMan wrote:4). Photon grenades are meant to stun an armoured opponent by blinding and deafening them on open ground. What if they're used in the confined space like a bunker, trench, or a ship's corridor? Think about this for a moment...I'll wait and watch a WWII Popeye cartoon while you're thinking. O.k. I'm back, so are you done? Got it right?! Yeah, they would be frag grenades without shrapnel! Killing outright and not just stunning. It seemed like you were sort of heading in that direction; but I couldn't really tell if the photo grenades killed the Eldar or just stunned them?

I was thinking a really hard stun, but you are right, in enclosed environment the concussion might still be enough to kill. I had not really considered this. good point sir. (though in a jesting defense they are strength 1 and make use of blinding spectra as well)

TauMan wrote:Hope all of this helps? ;) Overall a great story!

there is one more part to come sir, but again appreciate all the feedback.

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#11 » Apr 15 2015 08:56

knightofthewr wrote:TauMan wrote:
3). The affect of pulse rifle/carbine fire on a humanoid body. Str5/Ap5 means the pulse rounds hit with a force as great as a Heavy Bolter round. More powerful that a standard Space Marine bolter which is Str4/Ap5. (Think of the video game Space Marine when an Ork get's hit with a bolter round - only worse! The U.S. Army slang for this is 'bug splat'.

I will PM you with an answer for this one as I am not sure my answer, though scientific (possibly) would meet with the orbital's community standards.

WOAH! :eek: Don't think I'm asking you to go all Quentin Jerome Tarantino on us here! I not asking for you to 'Go all medieval on their backsides!' kind of stuff. I was just pointing out that pulse rounds are far more destructive than most writers portray them that's all. (Keep it as family friendly as you want :P ) A stand bolter round is something like 19.72mm (?) effectively a 20mm cannon round. Therefore if it is a Str4 weapon (not counting Stalker pattern bolters, Hellfire rounds etc), then a pulse round (energy blast) might be the equivalent of a 30mm cannon round?! Any way you look at it, much more destructive than is usually depicted in the Black Library novels! 'One shot, one kill' would be a severe understatement!

NOT FINISHED? "Hell, son whatcaya doin' readin' this here message fer? Git back to yer writing cognatin' machine and git to it!" That was Bob speaking by the way. :roll:
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

knightofthewr
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#12 » Apr 17 2015 11:07

(+2 Decs 47.157 Raik’ors, Regulant Auspice, Bridge)

It has been almost two decs since the last contact with any boarders. I return to the bridge after being patched up and cleared of any poison, though I am bruised and sore. Even here on the bridge, there are signs of a firefight. My brother tells me that it had been attacked, once. A small group had indeed managed to slip past our net, most likely hoping that with the chaos below they would be able to subdue the undefended bridge. It was still unknown how they managed to highjack the lift systems, but El’Ol’savon, whether through paranoia or experience, had constantly monitored her control on the ship and was immediately aware. The bridge crew had been more than ready, the var’sin’da attackers were in turn surprised, as they were cut down by ready and waiting tau’fann.

Every deck was now reporting secure. We had won, but the cost was indeed high. Our foe had held the core for almost ten raik’ors and we were awaiting the Fio’fanns’ assessment. The engines were still offline, though we had regained some positioning thrusters. Here on the bridge, all the fires were out, but charred vacant consoles could be found on all three rings. The most positive was that crew casualties had been relatively low, most sustained during our trial in the asteroid belt. My brother, El’Ol’savon, Kor’El’U’ten, and the remaining bridge crew are unscathed by the boarding attack. Vre’Mua’da took a poisoned dart but would recover. Worst for me is that the two cadres were now each below 50% capacity. My brother will feel every loss. I wish I had the words to console him, but experience has taught me that El’Sha’nan will shoulder his burden alone.

The doors open, and a trio of Fio’fann walk in. Among them is our own Fio’Vre’Yen’suam. Their faces are grim and we make room for them around the lifeless holo-table.

Kor’El’U’ten stands tall and speaks,” What can you tell us about the core?”

They share a pained look, before one of them speaks.

“Kor’El, here are the facts. The core has been irreversibly damaged. It is containment framework requires replacement, from an advanced grav-faber. We do not have the means to fix or replace it on hand. Every moment we cannot fix it, we will lose power, eventually causing life support to fail. I estimate that with rationing and energy discipline, we could survive 31 rotaa, given the additional supplies from He’pha’n. I suggest that we activate our emergency beacon and go to a minimal power usage to conserve life support. In addition our main engines are dead, and will require a drydock, grav-crane, or a large grav-tow to repair.”

The mood around the table is ashen. I feel sick. We have suffered so much and still failed. Fio’Vre’Yen’suam coughs.

“You have something to add, Fio’Vre?” asks my brother.

“I will not disagree with Fio’Vre’Gen’to. His assessment of the core is accurate as far as I can tell. The ship’s power will eventually fail. I have been told that our signals to the fleet, the closest tau able rescue us, are not being received. Our signals could be jammed. That is if the fleet is even still al…,”

“Your point, Fio’vre?” ask my brother, impatiently.

“I would purpose that we do something entirely different. Rather than waiting for a possible rescue that most likely will never come, we dive while we still have power.”

The third Fio’fann speaks, “We have discussed this, the dives would severely drain our reserves and the additional cooling would further drain them. We would not even reach the waystation before the core went into meltdown.”

“That is why I am proposing one dive aimed at the waystation, by removing the safety protocols and disabling the cooling, we should have enough power to make it,” Fio’Vre’Yen’Suam finishes flatly.

“You Fo’tanians are insane. The rapid drain on the core would cause the it to overheat and explode. That is assuming we survive the dive. There are all manner of quantum anomalies that could cause us to rip apart,” says Fio’Vre’Gen’to.

“Yes we would have to jettison the core and most likely our dive system when we arrive. I see it as choosing to die here doing nothing, or attempting to reach out and possibly survive,” replies Vre’Yen’suam.

“How would we maintain life support without the core?” asks Vre’Gen’to, his voice rising.

“We don’t. Everyone would have to go to emergency vacuum conditions.”

I see that the Fio’fann are about to relive a heated debate when the Kor’El raises his hand, demanding silence.

“How long would we have before we have to rely on personal reserves after jettisoning the core?”

Fio’Vre’Gen’to growls but turns to the Kor’El, “ a dec, at most. Then we would have maybe two more decs in emergency suits, assuming that everyone observes their breathing, but Kor’El, if you are really considering this option, then everyone should be in their suits before we dive, or at least by the time we emerge. We will be in zero gravity conditions if we jettison the core.”

The three high ranking tau whisper among themselves and the other two Fio’fann are looking angrily at Fio’Vre’Yen’suam.

“Fio’Vre’Gen’to and Nu’pal, is what Fio’Vre’Yen’suam thinks possible, possible?”

They look among us before Vre’Gen’to sighs, it is not anger, but worry I see in his face, “it is possible, but highly dangerous.”

“I understand Fio’vre, but we have a duty greater than ourselves, and must take every possibility to see it fulfilled,” says El’U’ten sympathetically.

“Fio’Vre prepare the ship for its last dive, it is pastime that we return.”

There is a sense of energy and urgency as the final preparations are completed. I feel strangely nostalgic as I brief the surviving members of our cadre. I am almost lost in contemplation, packing my damaged armor and gear out of mindless practice and barely noticing my sore body as I don my emergency suit. The He’pha’n mission has only been a brief tour but I feel as though we have reached the end of a long and grueling crucible that has tested us as much as any trial by fire. Many are excited to finally be returning to our original mission, back to the Path Resurgent, and for the first time since Seumone, I feel the same way. I feel part of something grander, greater than myself. I had barely set down on the station before we were deployed, but the more and more I think on returning, the easier I feel. We have earned our place there in blood and brotherhood. The ship is moved into position, and as it counts down, a chill of excited energy races down my back. The distortion of the dive takes hold, and as it pulls us away, I whisper, “for Tau’va.”
Last edited by knightofthewr on Apr 17 2015 12:47, edited 1 time in total.

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#13 » Apr 17 2015 12:17

knightofthewr wrote:I see that the Fio’fann are about to relieve a heated debate when the Kor’El raises his hand, demanding silence.

I'm thinking you didn't mean to say relieve here. Did you instead mean to say relive or revive? Spell check works if you misspell a word, but it sometimes autocorrect changes a word to one you didn't mean to use. So many times I find the autocorrect has changed a misspelled 'from' to 'form', and often I don't catch it right away.

Now with that over...yea! :biggrin: Love your story. Is this it for now for these characters or will you pick them up again when the second half of Into Silence resume?

PS What is Seumone? I jumped into the middle of Into Silence, so I don't know if I missed a plot point, event or what hear? If it is a new word I want to add it to the lexicon. thanks.
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

knightofthewr
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#14 » Apr 17 2015 01:00

TauMan wrote:I see that the Fio’fann are about to relieve a heated debate when the Kor’El raises his hand, demanding silence.
I'm thinking you didn't mean to say relieve here. Did you instead mean to say relive or revive? Spell check works if you misspell a word, but it sometimes autocorrect changes a word to one you didn't mean to use. So many times I find the autocorrect has changed a misspelled 'from' to 'form', and often I don't catch it right away. .

Rats!! good catch there Tauman. Sorry bout that, I corrected it to "relive"

TauMan wrote:Now with that over...yea! :biggrin: Love your story. Is this it for now for these characters or will you pick them up again when the second half of Into Silence resume?

I am glad that you enjoyed it. These characters will be in other "Into Silence" stories for sure.

TauMan wrote: PS What is Seumone? I jumped into the middle of Into Silence, so I don't know if I missed a plot point, event or what hear? If it is a new word I want to add it to the lexicon. thanks.

Prior to the start of "Into Silence" El'Sha'nan's cadre was attached to an contingent that had invaded a fringe imperium world called Seumone. The Shas'O in charge was mentoring El'Sha'nan. Though the tau eventually take the planet, the ethereal attached was killed under a strange circumstances. The Shas'Ar'tol launched an investigation and from Vre'Shais'ka's perspective treat his cadre with additional unwarranted suspicion. I hinted at it only briefly at the very beginning of "Brothers in Arms", so no worries, though it is part of the stigma that El'Sha'nan suffers through. P.S.S I hope to eventually write it as a prequel with the Fo'tanians serving as minor characters.

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#15 » Apr 17 2015 03:46

knightofthewr wrote:TauMan wrote:
PS What is Seumone? I jumped into the middle of Into Silence, so I don't know if I missed a plot point, event or what hear? If it is a new word I want to add it to the lexicon. thanks.

HA-HA ON ME! Did you catch that I wrote 'hear' for 'here'? O.k. so it serves me right for pointing out the typo!
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Return to “Into Silence”