The Tuirat Catastrophe (Tau Single Player Campaign)

Discuss home-brewed rules and units with fellow Earth caste engineers.
Das'Kyman
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: The Tuirat Catastrophe (Tau Single Player Campaign)

Post#73 » Jan 02 2013 06:38

Woohoo! it's like a 2nd Christmas! Thanks Chillrend

I played through 6,7 and 8.
Mission 6
I felt that this one went pretty well. I decided to try and get the one survivor in the enemy forests. I plowed through the village (my Ui went down to overwatch fire :dead: ). After I reached the forest I torched anything that happened to walk on, got the survivor and booked it back to the Fish. Took a little while since by then most had minor wounds and could not run.
-25/25, one downed with full recovery.

Mission 7
Also went well. The score doesn't reflect how close the game was. I was only one or two auxillaries away from missing the second objective and Tizlat was down to 1 wound. My UI was downed again (hot head :( ) and now has a slight limp (serves him right for charging everything in sight).
-20/20, one downed with a slight limp.

Mission 8
My first try went horrible. I managed to get 2 Drak teams off the eastern board but had to sacrifice Everyone else for them to make it. The natives were too speedy and I couldn't land a Pinning test. Also I used the Draks too aggressively instead of just treating them as non-combatants.
My 2nd try I got all 4 draks and exactly 15 toroks off the board. 3 shas carrying the other 3 all down to their last wound. Natives only inches away from assault the whole way. Very close. One lucky assault roll from the natives and I don't think any of my shas would have made it out this time either.
-30/30, 3 downed. 2 recovered but my Brute's shiny new bionics got trashed and now he needs new ones :sad:

These missions were fun, and if you put in the time you can usually get all the objective points. The pulse muskets are just enough of an edge to turn the tide vs regular natives and Tizlat is a beast.
The amount of models makes them take quite a while though. All of these missions took me 12 turns or more.

--question1: do natives carrying muskets charge if in range? I've been playing that they shoot as long as they are in range and move/run to get into range. And if so, do Warlords behave the same way if they are armed with primitive firearms?
If they do assault then Mission 8 is much tougher
--question2. for mission 8, do natives always come onto the board edge 12" away from friendlies, as close as possible? or from the center always?

Chillrend
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#74 » Jan 04 2013 11:09

Thanks Skyman, I'm not sure its as good as christmas but thanks anyway.
The mission reports are good, and they're really helping me. Keep them coming :) . On how the musketeers move, you've been playing right, but I'm going to add movement pattern types like Arc'Aroth has, to try and avoid confusion. I'm not fully sure about question 2, maybe i'm reading it wrong, but natives come on the board as close as possible to Fireteam Kaon.
Mission 8, is one of the few missions i've tried, and I tend to find splitting the Tolok forces into two equal groups and placing them so enemies have to charge through cover, gives a huge advantage to friendlies.

Oh and Tizlat is definitely a beast :D . As I said earlier I might even give him his own mini-campaign.

Right, now onto business.

Things I need to do before Chapter 3
Write the fluff for Chapter 2 (Not Done)
Change some of the existing fluff, I'm not happy with a lot of it (Not done, but I have others doing that now)
Finish Mission 10 (Done)
Add Maps (Not Done)
Add movement types (Done)

I'll mark the things I've done as I go along

I'm expanding the campaign to include a Chapter 5, and already have another smaller campaign concept formed. I probably won't be able to do much till after next week, I'm very busy. Until then, thank you everybody for playing and watch this space.
Last edited by Chillrend on Feb 05 2013 04:07, edited 1 time in total.

Chillrend
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#75 » Jan 07 2013 01:05

A small update today, and the last one till the weekend at the earliest, I have three exams this week :eek: .
Last edited by Chillrend on Jan 12 2013 01:54, edited 1 time in total.

Das'Kyman
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#76 » Jan 10 2013 06:25

Did the 9th mission today. Took me about 2.5 hours off and on.

This mission was easier than I expected it to be. Mostly because my transports arrived on turn 12 instead of 13 or 14. All the survivors made it to the village no problem and had their wounds healed by my medic. On average I had 2 enemy squads come on every turn. 1 warlord came on but it was too late in the game for him to reach the village in time. Railguns and carbines worked wonders at pinning and bottlenecking the enemy.
At turn a fair number of natives made it into the village and held up several of my team in assault. Since those units werent shooting the next wave of natives came on much quicker. When the Devilfishes came on I moved everyone towards them, shooting at the frontrunners to increase charge distances.
I used the gun drone as a stop against assaults and he got tied up (didn't die). The drone bought me enough breathing room to move the rest of my units onto the Devilfishes and cruise off the board. Cudos to the gun drone!

Had the Fishes come on a turn or two later i definitely would have had to leave a few team members behind and likely lose the auxillaries as well. I still think I would have gotten all the survivors out.

The medic wasn't as helpful in this mission since if you are taking wounds then you are in assault and you are in trouble anyways. But the points are spent...
MVP goes to rail rifles (my sniper plus the regular pathfinder). Pinning the enemy mobs slowed everything down and forced the units behind them to go around.

If I had to change anything about this mission, I'd take out the auxillaries and maybe have a few less survivors. All the pilots and the O spent the entire game in the back of the village because their range was so poor. And the auxillaries were too few for their shooting to be effective, especially since they aren't "tau" units so they can't use the markerlights.

Thanks for doing these Chillrend. Keep 'em up

Chillrend
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#77 » Jan 12 2013 01:51

I'm back!!! My exams are officially over (till easter anyway) so the editing can officially begin. I predict that it'll take a couple of weeks, but this is the last long edit i'll do. From now on every scenario that comes out will be finished.
@ thanks Skyman I will keep making them. And I will eventually finish mission 10.
Thanks for the feedback, but why exactly should the auxillaries be removed? Are they not a effective counter charge unit?. With halberds and furious charge they'll be striking at Str 6.
Maybe I should give the option to equip survivors with Kaon weapons, I don't know what do you think?

Das'Kyman
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#78 » Jan 13 2013 08:20

the auxillaries are fine. I personally didn't have much use for them in my game, but if I knew I had to last a few more turns then I may well have sacrificed them to buy me some time. I got lucky and the devilfishes came on turn 12 so I kept them back in order to keep them alive and win the 2ndary.

With some other playtests it should be more apparent what needs changing.

Arcani
Shas

Post#79 » Jan 14 2013 03:09

Da Skyman wrote:the auxillaries are fine. I personally didn't have much use for them in my game, but if I knew I had to last a few more turns then I may well have sacrificed them to buy me some time. I got lucky and the devilfishes came on turn 12 so I kept them back in order to keep them alive and win the 2ndary.

Hmm... Not sure how much the Greater Good likes sacrifices, but at least you didn't go that far.

I didn't use the auxiliaries much either though, except to provide some 'cover fire' while my Shas fell back though.
39th Vash'ya Drop Contingent

Chillrend
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#80 » Jan 17 2013 11:57

Added AI Behaviour Patterns.
Might add some more fluff and maps tonight, we'll see what happens :P

Arcani
Shas

Post#81 » Jan 17 2013 12:56

Chillrend wrote:Added AI Behaviour Patterns.
Might add some more fluff and maps tonight, we'll see what happens :P

WHERE?! WHERE?! :eek: :biggrin:

Chillrend
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#82 » Jan 17 2013 01:32

Calm down Arcani! :biggrin: Check the first post on the first page.

Arcani
Shas

Post#83 » Jan 17 2013 02:43

Chillrend wrote:Calm down Arcani! :biggrin: Check the first post on the first page.

Cool! Might be re-trying the first mission tonight with these new rules. Will tell you how it goes.

Chillrend
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#84 » Jan 22 2013 03:27

I don't think it'll be much different Arcani, but try it anyway.

Update time! Added a passage of fluff to mission 1 and about a page on Tolok culture below. Also changed the rest of mission 1's fluff to past tense, I don't know whether you'll prefer it or not.
Sorry I haven't updated much but biological warfare (flu) and hazardous conditions (snow) have slowed progress down. To add insult to injury, my laptop's machine spirit is giving up on me. So I write with numb fingers, coughing and sneezing while my computer begs for retirement. ;)
Next update will be either thursday or friday, so look out for that.
Till then
Chillrend

Tolok Culture
The average Tolok male stands as tall as a human, it is only slightly stronger and heavier. Toloks are covered in scales from head to toe and have vicious fangs that mark them as predators. They achieve their full size at adolescence, around the age of six and a half Terran years. They then go through a second adolescence after twenty years. At this point, they become stockier in build and as a result, tougher. Their scales will become paler in appearance, this discolouration will continue for the rest of their lives. Very old males are almost totally white in appearance, a colour which begets a lot of respect from other Toloks. They can live to about 170 years of age before dying to natural causes.
The Tolok female however, is much more complicated. For one, only one female is born for every sixty males. The normal female is very diminutive, smaller than a Fio and much less bulkier. They come in a huge variety of colours, which appears to be entirely random and nothing to do with parentage. Females also only go through a single adolescence at the age of sixty at which point they become fertile. This maturity also causes the Tolok to gain a great deal of mass and strength, almost becoming as large as a male Tolok. After this event, females are known as Matriarchs. Gestation periods are very short, allowing a high birth rate for the Tolok race. The female’s rarity and important role in society has unfortunately turned them into little more than bargaining chips or spoils of war.
It should be noted that a male’s colour is totally dependent on that of his mother, and for this reason particularly colourful females are coveted by powerful chieftains.

Tolok culture is based on loyalties. All Toloks are divided into tribes, and males will remain with and fight for the tribe of their birth until their second adolescence. It is tradition for males to leave the tribe during this time. The second maturity can cause great change in their neural makeup. It is during this period that males undergo bonding.
Bonding is a very important part of Tolok society. In essence, during a male’s time away from the tribe, a male will encounter several other tribes and explore large areas of Tuirat. A male may then, through battle or other means, meet a chieftain and gain a great deal of respect and devotion for him. At this point, the Tolok will bond to the chieftain and become his bodyguard. Toloks who bond in this manner are incredibly loyal and are physically incapable of disobeying or betraying their bonded chieftain. They will also happily fight any past allies should the warlord permit it.
Many Toloks do not go through this process and will return to their own tribes.
There is a final possibility. If the Tolok does not bond, and instead another male bonds to him, his neural connections will change in such a manner that he becomes a chieftain, and will eventually start a new tribe.

Chillrend
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#85 » Feb 05 2013 04:59

Hey guys,
Sorry its been a while, but I've been doing a lot of behind scenes work on the future pdf.
However, this campaign has been neglected for far too long, so I've "finished" mission 10.
I plan to post mission 11 within the next week or so, so look out for that.
I will add a map to mission 10 asap. Would have done it now, but I've forgotten my imageshack account. I've tried using flickr and photobucket but they seem to be less user-friendly.
Thanks for your support,
Chill :D

Chillrend
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#86 » Feb 09 2013 02:41

Map for mission 10 is sorted, please tell me how the mission goes if you get a chance to try it,

nor'od-alex
Shas

Post#87 » Feb 11 2013 03:13

Chillrend wrote:No One Left Behind
Should a member of Fireteam Kaon lose his last wound replace it with a marker. This marker can be picked up by another member of Fireteam Kaon who immediately gains the Slow and Purposeful special rule. If the marker reaches 3" of the Evac zone, it is removed. The player gains a +2 modifier on the Recovery D6 Roll for that character.
Recovery

an interesting rule. this could be implemented as part of 40k games with few units, as some kind of field trick akin to using grenades in combat, only the other way around.
sum commenta, ergo sum idotica.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#88 » Feb 14 2013 12:46

I've only read the first page thus far, but I'm pretty excited about this. I'm gonna gave to make some terrain and stuff to play this out. I've got elves from LOTR/WOTR that should work really well to represent CC models and Kroot to represent firearm models. Actually, when it's all said and done I'd love to turn this into a professional looking PDF book so that the whole campaign would be in a nice, easy to use format.

warllama
Shas

Post#89 » Mar 05 2013 08:12

Hi there. Boy am I glad that I stumbled over this amazing thread!

I've been searching various forums for quite a while for ideas of how to play 40k in single player mode. At the moment my gaming group is rather small, being just myself and my mate, and games are rather infrequent. I started off thinking of it as just an exercise to cement the rules in my mind, to hopefully make myself a better player. I hadn't even contemplated a full campaign so your hard work has blown my mind!

I will be starting to play through the missions in the next week or so, and will be letting you know how it goes. It's also sparked off a few ideas in my brain regarding my own set of missions, I'm imagining some kind of Necromunda variant but with XV8s.

On the first page (or possibly second) you mentioned about a ruleset with a much wider range of characters and ideas, would you be willing to make that available at some point in the future please?

So, in summary, please keep up the fantastic work, and I'll try my best to keep you posted with how my games go and possibly some shots of the games in action.

Arc'Aroth
Gue

Post#90 » Mar 06 2013 02:09

There will be more, Chillrend has been having issues with super colds and necron ninjas or something. I've been chatting with him, unless one of the ninjas has taken over his computer... mmmm... Should look into that...

Anyways, he did mention that the next few missions would be up SoonTM.

Return to “Experimental Rules Lab”