The Tuirat Catastrophe (Tau Single Player Campaign)

Discuss home-brewed rules and units with fellow Earth caste engineers.
Nevar
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: The Tuirat Catastrophe (Tau Single Player Campaign)

Post#109 » Aug 05 2013 12:46

Wow I haven't looked into this thread in far too long.

I have spent the past few hours of free time scanning and reading the missions and this campaign I poked my head in months ago has expanded to something outstanding. I have to use all of my discipline to not go buy sauros to start making toloks!

I might even make a move to change my Kroot Mercs in my cadre to toloks so that I have an excuse to model and paint some for normal 40k play.

Awesome work so far, can't wait to see this completed and turned into another ATT production.

~Nevar

Ko'vahn
Shas

Post#110 » Aug 12 2013 11:02

Never, I'm beginning to think a supplement may never come to fruition, all I've got for art assets are the 5ish images Tael kindly sent, as wondrous as they are, I can't fill a supplement with just them.

I'll keep working with the document but we really need some more art assets.

Nevar
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#111 » Aug 12 2013 11:59

I'll see what I can pull for you.

Art assets are something I can normally provide. My internet here is just abysmal.

greenmtvince
Kor'Ui
Kor'Ui

Post#112 » Aug 12 2013 01:07

Never messed with Vassal, but could you take screenshots of that to show table setups, and supplement the rest of the artwork with photos of the battles?
Void Dreaming - Space Warfare in Warhammer 40,000

Meleck
Shas'Saal

Post#113 » Aug 13 2013 09:20

@greenmtvince: No disrespect but I really don't like the vassal maps. I think they look too cartoony for a supplement. It works fine as a preview but not much more than that. And if the scale is too great, you lose all the details which makes the map near useless.

On that "negative" comment, I have a more positive one. I didn't have any comments (good or bad) on my proposed map so I decided that I will continue with the format and consider the lack of comment as an approval of the style. As we say in French "Qui n e dit mot consent" (rough translation to "Those who say nothing agree.")

So here is the map for Mission II.
As you may have already deduces, the "radar" blip is the position of the player. The dark green areas are terrain of whatever format. Mission II talks about a valley.

I was thinking of using different colors for the units (green = friendly and red = not) but then I know that red comes out as black when printed in black and white. Not something I really want.

Again I welcome and am looking for comments on the format. Otherwise, everything is perfect (unlikely) and I will continue with the format.

After all, I am doing this for the greater good of all. :D
At least, all of you who want to play the campaign.

Ko'vahn
Shas

Post#114 » Aug 14 2013 01:22

Did I not give feedback?
*checks*
Whoops, your style of map is actually great I can totally envision that on a Tau radar system.

This sudden upsurge is great to see, I think we might make it :D

@Nevar many thanks, everything is appreciated

Nevar
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#115 » Aug 14 2013 04:04

Quick input then back to duty.

Might consider changing the base color to blue, as Imperial electronics are normally green and hazy, while Tau is crisp and blue.

Meleck
Shas'Saal

Post#116 » Aug 14 2013 06:57

@Nevar: Yep that was something I was also considering. I'll have to look at it to come up with blue colors that work well together. Shouldn't be too hard.

Meleck
Shas'Saal

Post#117 » Aug 18 2013 10:21

OK, some small graphics updates on the maps. The first one is a straight color shift from the original green image. I plan on using these colors.
I have another one on photobucket but I think the colors are too light.
And a preview of the Tuirat planetary sensor scan. I still have a little bit of work to do on it but it's a great WIP preview.
I used a the planet image from hpashkov on DeviantArt and a few paint brushes available on DeviantArt (can't remember exactly which right now).
Hope you like them.

Nevar
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#118 » Aug 19 2013 03:11

Those are both outstanding, and the blue color shift is nearly perfect. I would have taken the blues from ATT myself, but those colors work exceptionally well and don't really need any more adjustment. The planet image is also pretty awesome. I like the blue 'machinery' images around it, though I think making them more 'Tau-ish' would help. I'll show you what I mean when i get off of duty tonight as I pulled some images off the internet/sources for this campaign the other day that I will post up for sharing here later today (or at least my today).

Ko'vahn
Shas

Post#119 » Aug 19 2013 11:17

Holey cow,
MIND = BLOWN
That's awesome.

Kamikaze Fish

Post#120 » Aug 19 2013 12:17

Awesome, I've only just discovered this and am enjoying it immensely, so far I have only completed the first mission with 15 points saving the Etheral and Honour Guard using the highly developed tactics of Run! Shas'Forrest Run! :) I hope their is more to come. :D

Meleck
Shas'Saal

Post#121 » Aug 30 2013 05:56

EDITED TO CHANGE THE LINKS TO VALID ONES.
I may have deleted the files from my DropBox account but I'm not sure. SO I,m using some other method to share the files.
<><><><><>

I've done a little bit of work on the PDF format of the manual. Know that I have modified some of the fluff for missions 1 and 2 with Chillrend approval. After all, this is his baby. Some of you might want to read the updated fluff. There are some significant achanges if I can say so myself.

Here is the mission part: http://www.4shared.com/office/OP9_0Shmce/The_Tuirat_CampaignArmory.html. I place it on 4Shared because I might have a trouble with DropBox and I have to investigate before I place any other files for sharing there.

I have also worked on the formatting of the armory page. I did change the wording to the American spelling. Hope you don't mind.
I placed it in the same folder so here is the link http://www.4shared.com/office/OP9_0Shmce/The_Tuirat_CampaignArmory.html.

@Chillrend: My version of the mission booklet states the combat armor is part of the basic equipment (the original doesn't) but the armory includes the cost for the combat armor. So I'm not sure which one is correct. Or should we list Combat armor at 0 pts with a weight. And the protective gear and protective gear have no weight associated with them.

Hope you like it. And again, I'm looking forward to comments on my work.
Last edited by Meleck on Jan 23 2014 09:41, edited 1 time in total.

Meleck
Shas'Saal

Post#122 » Sep 05 2013 03:26

OK, no comments on my PDF version of the missions and no comments on my changing of the fluff. What gives? Did this one slip by?

Please, I need to know if people like (or dislike) what I have done and if there is something to change, to add, or to improve. Even a small PM, with a Keep-up-the-good-work, keep-trucking, nice, or waiting-for-more would tell me that people have seen the work. Otherwise, it's like people couldn't download the PDF so couldn't say anything about it. Either that or they couldn't care less.

Biddo
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#123 » Sep 05 2013 05:03

Oops! I've been keeping an eye on this but your last update slipped by me. Just downloaded both files now and they look great, awesome work man! Living in an area with few 40k players and my hectic work schedule makes it hard for me to get a game in with other people, so I really appreciate the work you have put into this single player campaign. Hopefully I will be able to try out some missions soon and give you some feed back on how it played out for me. Keep up the good work.
Want your crisis suits to have hands? try my guide

Sa'cea Mont'yr
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#124 » Sep 06 2013 01:11

I've been watching this with great interest, though I don't quite have enough models to pull it off; my collection of models, while extensive, is almost exclusively Tau and Space Marines. That being said, part of me is considering asking around at my local store to see if someone is interested in playing the locals with some of their models (cultists, for example) and allowing someone else to get in on the fun. We can switch sides and such.

You've also inspired me to start working on a skirmish-type ruleset (think Necromunda or Mordheim) for 40K. I know Necromunda is considered the skirmish game for 40K, but I find the ruleset to be a bit lacking when it comes to the Xenos side.

I'm really enjoying watching this project expand and get some really good feedback from everyone. If I may make my own suggestion, a bit of clarity in the spending of points would be a bit helpful. The way it's currently written, it sounds as though the team simply gains points to use after every mission; there's no "pool of points to pull from," so to speak. They have a set value that they get to choose from, and then they have it every mission.

I'd suggest putting something in saying that models can return items they buy (with the exception of bionics) to return the points spent to a pool and can pull from that pool per mission, similar to how requisition points work in Deathwatch from Fantasy Flight games.
Shas'el Sa'cea Cal'Ka Mon'tyr

Meleck
Shas'Saal

Post#125 » Sep 06 2013 02:03

About the armory, have you checked my PDF version? I tried to make it clear but I may not have succeeded. I just want to make sure that we are using the same baseline for comparison. If I am to make more changes.
For skirmish time games, you may want to check KillZone, Special Operations available here http://galaxyinflames.blogspot.ca/2010/08/spec-ops-killzone-rules-archive.html. I think it works well and feels a lot like these missions.
As far as models, I guess you can always use Kroot to pass off as Toloks. Just make them a renegade Kroot world and it would work fine.

Sa'cea Mont'yr
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#126 » Sep 06 2013 03:05

I'll certainly have a look at those rules, thanks for the link. As for Kroot, out of the approximately 7K I have in Tau, 20 models of that is Kroot.
Shas'el Sa'cea Cal'Ka Mon'tyr

Return to “Experimental Rules Lab”