The Tuirat Catastrophe (Tau Single Player Campaign)

Discuss home-brewed rules and units with fellow Earth caste engineers.
Chillrend
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: The Tuirat Catastrophe (Tau Single Player Campaign)

Post#91 » Mar 06 2013 02:48

Hey all, sorry this has been so long coming but have been... hmmm what excuse haven't I used? Let's say, necron ninjas yeah, thats plausible ;) . In truth I've had a lot of... stuff that I've been working through, so don't feed me to the krootox!

@warllama
Hey, it's nice to see new people that are interested in the campaign. Keep me posted on your progress, and be sure to tell me any issues.

On the first page (or possibly second) you mentioned about a ruleset with a much wider range of characters and ideas, would you be willing to make that available at some point in the future please?

Not sure what you mean by that, could you be more specific? Perhaps quote it?

You Asked, I Shall Deliver.

Chapter Three
Pain. Swirling eddies of it spiralled around his mind, joined by tornadoes of fear. The chaos formed a shape, a terrifying saurian face snarling in contempt. Then it was gone, to be replaced by further horrifying images. A dismembered tau, lying dead at his feet. A blinded firewarrior desperately pleading for deliverance from the darkness. His honour guards being ripped to shreds by feral monsters.
And yet…
Amongst the torrents of fear lay one small ball of light. Barely visible, it had almost been smothered by the raging emotions that plagued him. Concentrating on it, it grew brighter and, cleared his mind. Doubt had no place here, fear was banished.
The Tau’va.

“Aun’vre! May I speak with you for a moment?”
A voice from behind the ethereal snapped him back to the present. He turned promptly to see a diminutive Fio was the one who had addressed him.
“Greetings Aun’vre Dym’at’el, I am Fio’ui T’ai. I trust you are well?”
“Well enough, Fio’ui. What is it you need of me?”
“A request, following a thorough explanation.”
Dym’at’el gestured for the smaller tau to continue, who enabled his personal assistant. The tiny drone flew in front of the pair, and, upon command, revealed a vid screen.
“This is footage of Tuirat, the planet we are currently orbiting. As you can see, there are a wide range of environments, not uncommon for a planet of this nature. My team and I were stationed here, on the edge of this desert.”
The video feed zoomed in on the location, revealing an arid area with several dips and peaks in the landscape.
“Just before the insurgence started, we were researching the geography of the planet. We learned several things, but most important was what we suspected. That this landscape, is not natural.”
The Fio paused suddenly, as if unsure of himself.
Dym’at’el spoke,
“You have peaked my interest, T’ai. Continue.”
“Yes Aun’vre. We ran several simulations and giving the planet’s distance from the sun and its unusual humidity, this desert could not have formed without the aid of either several small, or few large extra-terrestrial bodies, for instance, a metor shower. However research shows this is impossible. I do have an hypothesis…
“Aun’vre Dym’at’el, report to the Command Centre”
A robotic monotone cut across the Fio, and Aun’vre silenced him with a hand gesture.
“T’ai, I am very interested in this, but I am needed elsewhere. Tau’va.

Dym'at'el arrived in the command centre to find busier than he ever had before. Both drones and tau of every caste and rank were scrambling all over the room. Something big was clearly happening.

Temporarily grabbing the attention of a frenzied Shas'O, the confused Ethereal found out what.
"Aun'vre, we've sighted a heavily armed Gue'la Cruiser. Fireteams are inbound to secure it"

--Open Transmission--
--Shas'Ui, please hold for mission objectives--
--Download Initiated--
--
--
--
--Download Complete--

Mission 11A: Technophobe
Briefing: Shas'Ui, you are enroute to the enemy frigate. The Ar'tol has decided the ship is too valuable to destroy. It's engines are dissabled, but in order to capture it successfully, you must disable the guns so reinforcements may arrive safely. Quell the machine spirit, destroy any resistance from the crew. Good luck, may the Tau'va guide you.

Friendly Forces:
Fireteam Kaon

Hostile Forces:
3 Servitors with boltguns (Defender)
10 Crewmen with laspistols (Skirmisher)
10 Crewmen with laspistols (Skirmisher)

Primary Objectives:
Deploy the Virus at all three Critical Locations(15pts)

Secondary Objectives:

Servitor
WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv
4 3 3 4 3 3 1 8 4+
Special Rules:

Crewman
WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv
3 3 3 3 3 3 1 7 6+
Special Rules:

Scenario Special Rules:
Every Turn, 10 Crewmen with laspistols (Skirmisher) appear on the northern board edge.
A member of Fireteam Kaon may deploy the virus at a Critical Location if he is within 3”, on a 5+. He must give up his shooting phase to do so. Additional firewarriors may help deploy the virus, giving a +1 modifier to the roll for every friendly that helps in this manner.
Should Fireteam Kaon roll a 1 when deploying the virus, D6+3 Servitors with boltguns (Skirmisher) appear on the Northern board edge
Every time the virus is deployed successfully, 5 Servitors with boltguns (Skirmisher) appear on the northern board edge.
To represent the fighting taking place in space the following rules apply;
All hits, in close combat or shooting are Rending.
During the movement phase, friendly forces may choose to move normally or may choose to move an extra 3”. Any unit which moves in this manner must take a Dangerous Terrain check
Enemy forces move normally.

Deployment:
24" by 72"
Each Critical Location has a Servitor Squad within 3" of it.
Fireteam Kaon deploy on the south edge.
Crewmen deploy on the north edge

Key: Critical Locations=White boxes
Servitors=Servitors
Crewmen=Conscripts

Also a big thank you to Arc'Aroth, who's put a lot of effort into helping me write this chapter

warllama
Shas

Post#92 » Mar 06 2013 06:39

Chillrend wrote:...On XV15's. The thing is, the campaign you see today is a stripped down version of a far more complex one. The old version involved hiring mercenaries, experience and even XV8s, but i found that "more is less", and removed a lot of stuff. I am very cautious about making those mistakes again.

However, I do agree that Fireteam Kaon need some kind of armour upgrade. Perhaps a advanced version of an XV15, which allows the use of pulse rifles and carbines and unlocks twin linked weapons. Yes, I will definitely add something like that in the near future.

Here's the quote Chillrend, found it half way down page one.

Thanks, I'll be letting you know as soon as I've given it a go!

nor'od-alex
Shas

Post#93 » Mar 07 2013 03:12

why not the xv25?

or an xv 22?
sum commenta, ergo sum idotica.

Chillrend
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#94 » Mar 07 2013 12:49

@warllama Oh, ok I understand. You want to see my earlier ideas, the things that didn't make it into the campaign you see today? I'll send them to you via pm.

@nor'od-alex If you look on the first page, on the armoury, you'll see I added the XV12 sometime ago, which is essentially the same thing as an XV25 except minus the stealth generator

Chillrend
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#95 » Apr 09 2013 11:58

A big update to the armoury today, have added several items. Also Foreteam Kaon's stats have been changed, having only a 5+ save and the Supporting Fire special rule

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#96 » Apr 09 2013 01:50

Sounds good. Any thoughts on how you are going to integrate some of the new Tau models into the campaign?

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#97 » Apr 09 2013 04:31

With the new codex out, I'm creating graphics to match it. Should have PDF versions up shortly. Thanks for your patience so far Chillrend :)

Chillrend
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#98 » Apr 10 2013 03:58

Same to you Tael, it's good to have you on board.
Looking forward to the new graphics

Agentarrow,
I am currently debating whether to add the new drones to the armoury, and also intend to put a riptide in a mission somehow. Other than that, I have no other plans for the new units , though my mind is open to input.
However, miniaturewise, Tael pointed out to me that the new pathfinder kit would be great for converting elite fireteams. May even try that myself sometime. :)

Ko'vahn
Shas

Post#99 » Jun 17 2013 11:40

Hey all,
I've been lurking on the site for a while but this thread finally convinced me to join, just to do whatever I can to help, so here goes.

Before I tl;dr, I just want to ask, if you were to choose actors for characters voices who would be who? I'm thinking David Hayter for Ry'lat :biggrin:

I'm already well into formatting and editing the stuff into a supplement to be converted to .pdf format.

Tael, I admire and respect the quality of your art and would very much appreciate any that you throw in the way of the supplement.

The same goes to any others who want to send art, all sizes are appreciated.

A specific piece is also requested, if someone could do a picture of tuirat (based on the description in the op) with a digital overlay, like in the vein of augmented reality. Some links for inspiration, http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Tau_ ... ic_Map.jpg ; http://footage.shutterstock.com/clip-77 ... ci-fi.html ; http://facebook.foxfilm.com/prometheus/starmap/fr/

I know I'm probably asking quite a bit and your go to response might be "No, stop "being lazy and do it yourself" but trust me, I am no artist.

Anyway, help, don't help, it's up to you, but if you do, then thanks.

Meleck
Shas'Saal

Post#100 » Jun 21 2013 12:25

I would like to create maps for this campaign and I'm looking for icons that would represent the different forces and units involved in this campaign. Is there someone out there that can help me out? I would prefer vector graphics as I plan to do these maps in CorelDraw or Campaign Cartographer. Currently, I plan to use the Tau Fire Caste symbol to represent the Tau units. But I have nothing for the Toloks and I'm wondering if people wouldn't like to see more to scale elements much like the current Vassal maps.

boredwithtnt
Shas

Post#101 » Jun 27 2013 08:57

So i tried setting this up last night and was wondering if the rules have been amended for the new codex?
Seems like so of the boosts we got might make this a bit unbalanced?

Other than that I had a total blast running this! First time trying a single player scenario.

Meleck
Shas'Saal

Post#102 » Jun 27 2013 10:33

@Boredwithtnt: What minis did you use for the natives? I was wondering what to use as I made a quick count and the number of minis required for these games is a little high for me. Nonetheless, I really like the idea of single player mission. Or more narrative type missions.

So I've uploaded a proposal map for the deployment in mission 1. I hope it works.
As this map was done in a vector program (CorelDraw), it will scale properly for printing once the PDF is "released". I do have a little bit of work to do on the Ethereal symbol.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#103 » Jun 27 2013 06:46

Hey guys, works been quite a dominating git lately. I'll forward on artwork to you for filling out the PDF you're making. Rather see it used!

Email inbound :D

boredwithtnt
Shas

Post#104 » Jun 28 2013 11:03

Meleck wrote:@Boredwithtnt: What minis did you use for the natives?

Oh kinda what I had laying around. Large amount of Salamander space marines and Kroot. Also there may or may not have been locals played by the part of Lego men "cough cough." Kroot played the melee oriented figures, Tac marines playing the part as the shooty forces!

Ko'vahn
Shas

Post#105 » Jul 19 2013 02:35

Doing some more work on the PDF today and I should, in fact, be able to give you guys a link to a 1st version mock up of the final PDF, with hopefully all of the elements that I have been sent so far, by the end of the weekend at least.

RevRanDoM
Por'O
Por'O

Post#106 » Jul 20 2013 09:41

A high-quality thread like this deserves to be stickied. Awesome work, Chillrend. :)

Ko'vahn
Shas

Post#107 » Jul 21 2013 08:07

okay, so resource acquisition went very well, I now sit behind an ms surface tab streaming "The Heist". Anyway I haven't completed the whole mock-up yet, but here's the foreword & the table of contents so far. Also included ave some badly made basic borders just for art direction. As you can see I want the look of the supplement to match the Farsight book & the codex, without actually stealing peoples' border art. Please remember I am not an artist.

Also I'm definitely happy to look at anything anyone sends me.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday July 25

Hi everyone,
I'm still hard at work on formatting and editing. I recently stumbled upon the idea that Tuirat won't have a physical release, so I need a different form factor. In fact it should look a little like the farsight supplement.

Anyway, if I could make some general requests for specific elements.

A cry for help to all our amazing artists.

Required elements are:
- border and divider elements: the best kind of border would be something reminiscent of what GW is using. REMINISCENT mind you, not copies, we wanna keep this nice and legal (otherwise I'd just steal 'em myself).
- page art: any art that you guys give us permission to use would be beyond greatly appreciated.
- cover art: a nice detailed cover picture is essential and I will probably dance in the street if anyone sends me anything, but please keep in mind it should either be in landscape A4 or take into account it will be cropped to fit.
- picture borders: these mean the difference between looking like the farsight supplement and the stuff you usually find on scribd. they're pretty simple if you can art (yes I'm using that as a verb :P) and we don't need a lot, 1 or 2 is fine (they can be rotated and you only actually see them if you're looking).
- photos: this is another big one, if you have any natives, tolok allies, etc or even just find an epic moment while playing, it would be amazing if you just snapped a pic and sent it our way.

and lastly in this list; if anyone sees any good textures for watermarks please let me know, but this is last because I'll also be looking.

Thanks in advance to everyone who is and was helping.

Now for some nice group input:
- what fonts do we like?
- should I move all this production to a different thread and just let Chillrend get on with it? and if so where should it go?

And now for another badly made Ko'vahn's design example:

greenmtvince
Kor'Ui
Kor'Ui

Post#108 » Aug 04 2013 03:41

This is fantastic. I often find myself on my own without the company of fellow gamers and I'd love to still be able to run some missions with my Tau.

Now, I started wargaming with the old Avalon Hill board games like Starship Troopers, so I'm used to cardboard counters for play. However, this being a miniature wargame, I'd love to have some minis to play out this unique campaign. So I went through and tried to get a rough count of how much I'd need to play to do this from start to finish and came up with this:

I'd need about 90 native models to have enough to do all the scenarios as written, let alone any of the imperials that appear in 11a, or the allied native troops. Granted I could do a lot of counts as or find creative ways to come up with counters for things out of LOS and just use models for things in LOS.

My suggestion for improvement to make this something to appeal to the wider gaming community would be to develop a standard model set somewhere between 20 and 40 non-Tau models that would be required to run the campaign. Possibly add an auspex blip mechanic like Space Hulk part of the campaign ruleset rule-set. Then go back and tweak the allied and hostile forces to match this.

Would you be able to make the scenarios work with the following:
6 Fire Warriors/Pathfinders
1 Ethereal
4 Gun Drones
6 miscellaneous Tau/objective markers

10 natives with CCW
5 natives with primitive rifles
1 Native Chief

5 Tolok with pulse muskets
1 Tolok Leader
1 Baggage Drak

3 servitors with CCW
6 Imperial Guardsmen (doubling as Gue'Vesa and Crewmen.)

With the above, I would think to myself: "I have the Tau, minus the Fio/Por/etc. A box of Saurus warriors and some Kroot bits get me the natives, Maybe a sprue of skinks with Tau bits would work for Toloks. Baggage Drak...Probably something like a Knarloc, but I bet a Cold One would work. Servitors are harder to come by but I could cobble some together from old IG, Ork, and SM bits, and if I'm not to particular about guardsmen I can probably get one of those cheapo boxes of 5 or a sprue of the multiparts to get me to 5, and mix it with some other bits floating around to bump me up to six."

Heck, if I didn't have the Tau models. A box of Firewarriors and an Ethereal would be all I needed to add, and that's the bare minimum for an allied Tau detachment.

@Tael: You've piqued my interest with the shot of pathfinders on Jungle hexes. Any chance we could see how that one is supposed to run?
Void Dreaming - Space Warfare in Warhammer 40,000

Return to “Experimental Rules Lab”