Campaign Additions: Basic Rule add ons

Discuss home-brewed rules and units with fellow Earth caste engineers.
Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Campaign Additions: Basic Rule add ons

Post#19 » Jun 11 2015 02:42

The General's Compendium is fantastic, thank you for recommending it!

It's got so many elements I miss from the gaming community- and the level of non-professionalism in the photo selection and army selections- it's real people playing a game they love. I love it.

There's tonnes here to work with, but right off the bat I like the veteran advancement system, especially how much power they give to the player to choose what advances.

I think little things (40k'ified) might be perfect:

1. Skilled: May reroll 1's in either close combat or shooting (pick one)
2. Dug in: Reroll cover saves
3. Stay Frosty: May reroll missed snap fire shots
4. Ruthless: may snap fire against fleeing units or +1 to running a broken unit down.
5. Shock Troops: roll all 'Run' and 'Fleet' rolls with 3D6 and pick highest
6. Allies: May add 1/3 more to the unit.
~Good Hunting

Co'da
Shas

Post#20 » Jun 11 2015 09:48

I'm glad you enjoy it! I think it got mostly overlooked, for a lot of reasons, but it was also something of a last gasp for the true "just go do whatever" spirit, I feel. Maybe if it had sold better WD would still have some substance.

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#21 » Jun 11 2015 12:07

Preaching to the choir. Did you just start playing 40k it seems like your a fantasy guy.

I think we've got a lot of examples for a more fluffy campaign system. I'm going to take a little break from it and start writing up a rules system that I'll repost here in regards to army advancement.

While reading the compendium, I did start thinking about map campaigns.

They are the most advanced and the most coveted of the game types in all systems but they always seem to run out of gas. I have played in successful scenario based campaigns, but it never seems to have the impact that a detailed map can offer.

Being a Game of Thrones board game junky, I've been wondering how you could potentially play out a map campaign with the use of cards to represent commanders taking the field or map representatives of force organization charts. With the addiction that is data slates, I feel like the synergy that 40k is driving at would benefit extremely in this mechanic as a player loses and then recombined units into new formations.

Has anyone ever played a campaign where you choose your entire force (10k) and then break them into smaller armies?
~Good Hunting

Co'da
Shas

Post#22 » Jun 11 2015 12:34

I've never actually played a game of 40k. I got into fantasy at the tail end of the 90s, and while 40k was always this interesting universe to look at, I never really cared. I hated the human factions, Necrons didn't really exist yet, and Dark Eldar still had really stupid models. Nobody else interested me.

Then the new millennium brought the Tau, and suddenly 40k had something for me. I got a box of kroot by accident, picked up a battlesuit and eventually a box of Fire Warriors, and traded for some Ork bitz from my buddy, and never really did anything with them. The local shop closed, fantasy got packed away in high school, and I mostly moved away from Warhammer, but I've always remained interested in the universe(s). The Chapter Master game has dragged me back into 40k of late, and, realising that I still don't like the human factions, I started to dig out my Tau again. There's an awful lot of new fluff I really dislike (centred firmly around Aun'va, as well as the seeming desperate need to have every Tau character around for every single moment in their history), but there have also been some great stories written while I was away.

My attitudes about the hobby have changed a lot over the past couple months, and I'm actually starting to enjoy it again. So who knows? There may be a 40k game in my future!

Back to topic, I'm glad this thread has been helpful. But map campaigns are definitely difficult. Even in the Compendium, their own example ran into troubles.

Another idea to a map based campaign that might be very interesting, from a narrative perspective, and perhaps easier to keep alive, might be a "buildable" map. Rather than having a set world you move and fight over, you just play linked battles or scenarios as you would normally, but, in a very drawn out version of Space Hulk, the winner gets to put down a tile. You could frame it as exploring/fighting over a world that just popped out of the warp after a thousand years. And then at the end of the campaign, your group would have built themselves a map you could use in future campaigns or battles.

Cal'Tau'va
Shas

Post#23 » Sep 28 2015 11:29

Hi,

I saw your campaign thread and thought I'd chime in as the club I chair are running a 40k-style campaign. I thought perhaps what we're doing could provide you some food for thought.

Essentially, we're running our forces as if its a real-world military (minus a few bits like logistics) but the armies are all 40k. First time round the Umpire made a map and we were all given a HQ had to expand from there, engaging not just each other but also Umpire ran "NPC" forces. This time around, I drew up a map with round terrain and borders and we all started with a "country". All our maps use the Planetary Empire tiles for ease.

What we do is largely up to us; we can make/break alliances, fight one turn of a battle then tactically run away, Deathstrike someone at the other end of the board for giggles etc. The key thing people haven't quite got their head around yet though is the use of intelligence; sure go charging blindly into the abyss but the chances are you wont be very good. I go nuts spying on the enemy to the point where I'm spending most of income on intelligence.

The thing with our campaigns though is that you need an Umpire to whom you submit all your orders and purchases to each turn etc.

I've linked some of the rules and the map we're currently using for you to have a look over (please let me know if the dropbox link doesn't work for people...first time I've used it):

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/843jmi4drmy2 ... W7W_a?dl=0

RAF Wyton Wargmes Club WH40k Campaign 1 = the rules we used in the first campaign
RAF Wyton Wargmes Club WH40k Campaign 2_version 2 = the rules we are currently using
campaign2_turn 1 purchases = the full list of what I bought to field in the campaign
campaign2_turn 1 orders = every battlegroup needs an order before you want it to do something... these can be as detailed as you like, the greater the detail the greater the potential benefit for you is however...
campaign2_turn 1_MW = the campaign map
campaign2_Matt_Turn 1 Report = This is the sort of thing the Umpire will hand the player at the end of the turn ready for the next one
Spreadsheet_excel = Basically my entire army plus orders and coordination for our current campaign... I've kind taken it to the extreme and it probably doesn't need to be this detailed
Tau propaganda Flier = something I made for the first campaign to "entice" the local NPC forces to join me. Got myself a full IG platoon that way.

Anyway, like I said, food for thought hopefully.
When I tried seeing things your way I got a headache.

Return to “Experimental Rules Lab”