Beam Swords on suits

Discuss home-brewed rules and units with fellow Earth caste engineers.
Dark Hope
Gue'La
Gue'La

Beam Swords on suits

Post#1 » Jul 26 2017 10:40

I desperately want to paint a crisis suit slicing off the head of a space marine, or cutting a gaunt in half.

I'm thinking a 2 handed beam sword would cost 22 points, have user strength, have -2 AP, and take up 2 option slots. That way it's not as strong as fusion swords or Farsights relic weapon, but still strong enough to consider taking.

Thoughts? What stats do you think a beam sword should have?
If kroot eat orks, doesn't that make them omvivores?

Unusualsuspect
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Re: Beam Swords on suits

Post#2 » Jul 26 2017 10:53

If you're gonna have a Beam Sword, I'd recommend A) limiting their number, and B) making the blade highly experimental (it's where you find just about every CQC weapon the T'au have).

I, for one, plan to make a Farsight-equivalent that uses a Plasma Blade (think Fusion Blade), as that is a natural progression from a Fusion Blade technology (appropriate for cutting-edge... heh... technology) and fits well with Farsight's existing wargear.

I would be wary of giving T'au direct CQC weaponry that isn't experimental. Anti-CQC (like grav drones, Counterfire systems, and the like) seems the more appropriate take for T'au army-wide wargear.

Dark Hope
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#3 » Jul 27 2017 02:37

Plasma is superheated gas though, can't really make that a blade, lol. The idea was to make a weaker, more standard equipment melee weapon readily available to all suits. I love me some fusion blades though, commander brightsword is my favorite.

Joe5952
Shas

Post#4 » Jul 28 2017 03:09

I would argue that you could make a plasma sword like a giant plasma cutter. Sure it might trail behind the swing a bit, but if it's coming out fast enough and with enough pressure that could be elevated to a degree. I think we would need to consult a physicist to be sure if a plasma sword can or can not exist.

Draco023
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jul 28 2017 03:20

Considering. Even humans in 40k have managed to create plasma projecting weapons, I'd say it's pretty reasonable that they've managed to find a way to manipulate and contain it rather well. So a short range continuous discharge is feasible. Best guess; some type of shell that contains the plasma until it strikes the target. Gravitational or electron bond maybe? You couldn't parry with it then, unless the stream had enough disruptive force ( thermal or impact) to destroy the incoming weapon. Then you basically have a light saber :D That's doubly true if it is an uncontaminated plasma jet.

EDIT: according to some fluff on the 40k wiki, it's electro-magnetic containment and propulsion. Magnets, how do they work?

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Jul 28 2017 04:39

What bits are you using for the beam sabres. I've been looking everywhere for some. Red in particular.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Jul 28 2017 04:53

Draco023 wrote:Considering. Even humans in 40k have managed to create plasma projecting weapons, I'd say it's pretty reasonable that they've managed to find a way to manipulate and contain it rather well. So a short range continuous discharge is feasible. Best guess; some type of shell that contains the plasma until it strikes the target. Gravitational or electron bond maybe? You couldn't parry with it then, unless the stream had enough disruptive force ( thermal or impact) to destroy the incoming weapon. Then you basically have a light saber :D That's doubly true if it is an uncontaminated plasma jet.

EDIT: according to some fluff on the 40k wiki, it's electro-magnetic containment and propulsion. Magnets, how do they work?

Seriously...what do you mean "even humans"? Humanity in 40k used to be on a technological level comparable to Necrons and pre-Slaanesh Eldar. That's far far more advanced than T'au are. It's called Dark Age of Technology, read up on it. :D

Also yeah, anything is basically possible in 40k. It's more a fantasy in space setting than it is sci-fi anyway.

Unusualsuspect
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#8 » Jul 28 2017 07:14

Dark Hope wrote:Plasma is superheated gas though, can't really make that a blade, lol. The idea was to make a weaker, more standard equipment melee weapon readily available to all suits. I love me some fusion blades though, commander brightsword is my favorite.

Lightsabers. I'm making a lightsaber. Eisenstein had one, and I want my Farsight Enclave-allied secret ops Cadre to have a lightsaber. It is a common enough Sci-fi Trope, and meshes well enough with existing T'au experimental technology that its feasible.

Dark Hope
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#9 » Jul 29 2017 03:40

Joe5952 wrote:I would argue that you could make a plasma sword like a giant plasma cutter. Sure it might trail behind the swing a bit, but if it's coming out fast enough and with enough pressure that could be elevated to a degree. I think we would need to consult a physicist to be sure if a plasma sword can or can not exist.

I would strongly argue firing a stream of plasma for a long enough period to slice through something would melt the weapon. Imagine overcharging a plasma gun, but consecutively a dozen times in just 1 or 2 seconds.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Jul 29 2017 04:09

Dark Hope wrote:
Joe5952 wrote:I would argue that you could make a plasma sword like a giant plasma cutter. Sure it might trail behind the swing a bit, but if it's coming out fast enough and with enough pressure that could be elevated to a degree. I think we would need to consult a physicist to be sure if a plasma sword can or can not exist.

I would strongly argue firing a stream of plasma for a long enough period to slice through something would melt the weapon. Imagine overcharging a plasma gun, but consecutively a dozen times in just 1 or 2 seconds.

Well T'au (and now humans as well) found a way to have save plasma shooting for the sake of the strength of the blast. It's not like it's impossible even with 40k in-universe logic. ;)

Return to “Experimental Rules Lab”