Rough terrain (vertical) rule

Discuss home-brewed rules and units with fellow Earth caste engineers.
Orion7
Shas'Saal

Rough terrain (vertical) rule

Post#1 » Dec 07 2017 08:22

So my friend and I came up with this when we realised that half our terrain did nothing for defensibility etc.

If a unit takes fire whilst partially up a cliff face or similar >45° slope, then a weapon that hits but doesn't wound/is saved will result in a model returning to the bottom of the structure /hill as it is knocked off balance. Roll a save if this happens to avoid it.

This massively slows down units whilst still allowing the opponent to get some models to the top to engage in shooting or melee without complex maths of distances and speeds.

Your thoughts?

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Rough terrain (vertical) rule

Post#2 » Dec 08 2017 01:03

I feel like that would make everything more complicated. Adds extra time to the turn. You have to figure out which model(s) fall. What about coherency. Is it balanced. Etc.

If the issue is being able to charge but not make it into base contact because, for example, the upper floor is blocked. Just measure as if you could get there, if you would have otherwised made it into base combat assume you have and do a normal fight phase.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Dec 08 2017 03:10

Orion7 wrote:So my friend and I came up with this when we realised that half our terrain did nothing for defensibility etc.

If a unit takes fire whilst partially up a cliff face or similar >45° slope, then a weapon that hits but doesn't wound/is saved will result in a model returning to the bottom of the structure /hill as it is knocked off balance. Roll a save if this happens to avoid it.

This massively slows down units whilst still allowing the opponent to get some models to the top to engage in shooting or melee without complex maths of distances and speeds.

Your thoughts?

For a tiny, Kill Team-style game where each model was very important, this could be a fun rule! Better for small, ultra-realistic games though I think.

Orion7
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Dec 08 2017 03:44

Arka0415 wrote:
Orion7 wrote:So my friend and I came up with this when we realised that half our terrain did nothing for defensibility etc.

Your thoughts?

For a tiny, Kill Team-style game where each model was very important, this could be a fun rule! Better for small, ultra-realistic games though I think.

Yes, this was used in a 400vs 200pt hilltop defense scenario where every unit of mine counted!

Ambient:
It didn't add too much time as it was a tiny game- it was to encourage use of the winding paths up a hill rather than just ignoring it, thus giving the attacker a tactical choice- the long safe way or the quick risky way. We bent coherency roles in theory, but in practice his swarms never lost coherency

Return to “Experimental Rules Lab”