[WIP] Spec Ops Tau - SWA Kill Team

Discuss every aspect of the Shadow War stand-alone game.
Paulson
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

[WIP] Spec Ops Tau - SWA Kill Team

Post#1 » Apr 11 2017 05:44

Tossing my hat in the ring with SWA as I've been waiting almost 20 years for 40k to have this sort of format. Kill Team has been close but it's also a bit wonky with their unit construction and using the Necromunda rules set as the foundation is a major win IMO. SWA will give me ample opportunity to really customize and make the models unique.

One of the heavy hitters for the team is the Recon Drone and while it's basically a must include within the list I've never been a fan of the stock sculpt. The upper drone dish is fine but the underside looks like an afterthought. For SWA it's also gigantic and way too tall so that it'll tower over everything and pretty much be impossible to place in cover. So here's my attempt at something that fits the stat line with a slightly smaller profile.

The main objective was to build something that was repeatable in case I wanted a second one and that it looked the part using all plastic bits if possible. I'm still on the fence of which upper hull to use as the each have nice elements to them. Maybe I'll use one of each? They still need minor touch of greenstuff and clean up work before I get everything squared up and glued.

Ifrit
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: [WIP] Spec Ops Tau - SWA Kill Team

Post#2 » Apr 11 2017 07:25

Overall I like it. Just feel like it's missing something to give it a little more beefiness.

And agree with you that top part looks cool, the bottom is just crammed full of stuff which kind of makes sense as like a supply drone but it's just too big. Maybe someone could come up with a more streamlined version. Or use the Remora drones (I think that's what they are with the dual burst cannon from FW...)

Paulson
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Apr 11 2017 07:41

I decided to put the Recon drone to the knife and shortened the cylinder, just leaving the end to act as a turret mount for the burst cannon. What would also work is to use the chin turret from a Piranha as I did some test fitting and it's almost the same exact size. It's about 1mm wider but it'd pair very closely. That'd get rid of the awkward cylinder hanging down and save the work of putting greenstuff over the grenades on the bottom. Still a bit quirky looking IMO but a bit better, I'm not sure what else can be done to it as I'm just not a fan of the recon drone.

I like the design of the Remora but it's really big with the center disc being 50-55m wide. (Where the recon is 31mm) Plus the Remora is much too heavily armed. It's a really cool model though.

Ko'Vash
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Apr 11 2017 11:11

I had actually never noticed the bunch of Photon Grenades tucked up under there. It would be neat if that could be represented somehow. I imagine it's just carrying extra kit for the Pathfinders like a mule. Something like if a model is within so many inches of the Drone, they can reroll their first ammo check. If it still fails, then the rerolling is lost.

Anyway, nice model! I may have to do something similar because, as you said, the Recon Drone is kind of goofy looking. Especially outside of the context of being able to fit inside a Devilfish. I'd say leave the grenades exposed. Gives the Drone a mule sort of feel, even if there are no rules representing it.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#5 » Apr 11 2017 11:30

Huh.. like minds. I have the same issue myself, though my approach on the desk last night was to remove all the sgements above and below the BCannon mounting. It keeps some bulk but loses over 15mm of height.

I feel most opponents would get upset having a smaller target represent a much larger cousin.

Carving up the column is best of both worlds. Reduce height but keeping overall bulk.

I'm also in the camp of keeping the gear aboard like a mule. And agree, a nice house rule would be within 3" ammo support. :)

EDIT: I do like the smaller BCannon drones though!

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Apr 12 2017 01:35

Dunno, I feel like the Recon Drone was supposed to work as additional turret mounted weapon for the Devilfish once embarked by the model design team but the rules team didn't pick up on that thought.
One of the main problems GW has imo. They first design the models and then give them to the rules guys which have to think about rules for those...and there is barely any communication.

Anyway, I like your second approach. However I like the Recon Drone as is so I won't change it at all. :D

Paulson
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Apr 14 2017 12:20

I did some more tinkering with the burst cannon mount, the earlier version I thought looked a bit Guppy like and a bit rounded in the belly. Tried a new take on it to see if a slightly flatter dome would help. It pushes the burst cannon forward a bit which could make it slightly more aggressive looking? Basically I just dremmeled out a trench in a gun drone body so it'd hold the burst cannon body.

I'm still deciding which of the two I prefer, I may try redoing the original keeping the Recon dome but trench out the gun mounting like i did on the newer version. Thoughts?

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#8 » Apr 14 2017 12:30

Yeah feeling leftmost iteration - the right is a bit plugged on in appearance (even clearly not on inspection)

That underside bulk balances the model better with the large box tail issue.

As I've been tinkering with my own, the similarity between this and my FW Heavy Drones is intriguing. Tempted to field them instead actually haha.

Ifrit
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#9 » Apr 14 2017 12:38

I like the bulkyness better on the second iteration, the angle of the burst canon seems off but that could just be me.
Honestly it's your drone so it'll be up to you. Curious about what sick paint job you're going to give. :biggrin:

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Apr 14 2017 04:54

I like the one with the original Recon Drone part as body.
Another idea I just got is to maybe use the Devilfishs Burst Cannon turret as body. :D

Paulson
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#11 » Apr 27 2017 12:49

Since SWA allows for a gunslinger I've been thinking about how I'd want to do a build for it and I wanted something that reminds me of Cad Bane from the Clone Wars series. After digging through a number of cowboy models I could use as a base I settled on the gunslinger model from Icarus, but unfortunately atm they are out of stock. They should be getting more in a couple weeks so I guess I'll need to wait a bit for a restock. He's a little on the tall but I think I can shorten down the torso a bit as it seems just a touch too long and I'll be replacing the lower legs with tau ones and giving him a pair of pulse pistols.

Shas'o Dre
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#12 » Apr 27 2017 08:52

I made a gunslinger too, sorry for the bad picture, I'll try and take a better one.

Return to “Shadow Ops Center”