[Project Log] Shas'o Dre's Farsight Enclaves Cadre

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Shas'o Dre
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

[Project Log] Shas'o Dre's Farsight Enclaves Cadre

Post#1 » May 16 2013 07:39

Hey fellow followers of the Greater Good.

I wanted to share some of my experiences with the new Tau Codex, and discuss my somewhat unusual play style. Let me begin with a little bit of my Tau history. It was the army that got me back into 40k in 2001, and I have played it almost exclusively since. In 4th edition I ran a suit heavy list with lots of drones and played a mid-range 24" kill zone that my opponents hated to try and close. In 5th Edition I changed to a more static fire base/line style, with more broadsides, outflanking kroot squads and less suits to round out the list. 5th edition was very hard on my Tau, and I went from winning a high number of games in 4th to losing almost all the time in 5th no matter what I did. Needles to say I moved to the hobby side of the game for a while.

Enter April 2013 and the new Codex comes out and I am in heaven. New models to make, new options to try, more balanced point cost, and the Riptide! So far I have had overwhelming success with the new codex. I have played 8 games and lost only 1. The armies I played against were: Nids, Chaos Daemons, Chaos Space Marines, Orks, Dark Angels, Space Wolves with Imperial Guard allies, and Tau. We play 1850 points most of the time, but I think a couple of the games were at the 1500 point level.

Here's the list I use:

HQ:
Commander with: Cyclonic Ion Blaster, Drone controller, Advanced Targeting system, Iridium Battlesuit, 2x Marker drones

Darkstrider

Elites:
Riptide 1: Counterfire Defence system, Stimulant injector, heavy burst cannon, twin-linked smart missile system, 2x shielded missile drones

Riptide 2: Early warning override, Ion Accelerator, twin linked smart missile system

Troops:
Fire Warrior Team: 8 Fire Warriors with pulse carbines, devilfish with disruption pod, 2 gun drones

Kroot Carnivore Squad: 10 Kroot

Fast Attack:
Pathfinder Team: Shas'ui, 3x pulse carbines, 2x Ion rifles

Piranha Squad: 4 piranha with fusion blasters

Sunshark Bomber

Heavy Support:
Hammerhead 1: Railgun with Submunitions, twin linked smart missile system, blacksun filter

Hammerhead 2: Ion cannon, twin linked smart missile system, disruption pod, Longstrike

Skyray: Blacksun filter, disruption pod, twin linked smart missile system

My Commander joins the gun drones from the piranha teams in the first turn. Darkstrider is deployed with the Fire Warriors to give them outflank. The kroot and pathfinder team will stay in reserve, and depending on the mission will use outflank. And of course the Sunshark is held in reserve, leaving me with 2 hammerheads, a skyray, 2 riptides, 4 piranhas, and a commander with drones on the table to start. Most times I have deployed my tanks to use their long range as protection from enemy fire, I place the Riptide 1 as the closest unit to the enemy to take shots, and my commander and piranha team move in tandem. All the units that I start with are pretty tough to crack, and I don't give up any really easy kill points on first turn.

With only 2 troop choices, I am concentrating on keeping mine alive while decimating my foes. Keeping them in reserves helps, and the missions help too. When I was thinking up the list I took into account that in 2 of the 6 missions I will actually have more scouring units, Big guns never tire, and the Scouring. Purge the Alien is kill points, the Emperors Will has 2 objectives and I can hold mine. So that leaves the Relic and Crusade. In those missions I would go for the secondary objectives, first blood, line breaker and slay the warlord. In most games I usually get first blood, and Darkstrider's unit has a good chance of getting me line breaker. So it is up to the rest of my units to get me slay the warlord, and to blow stuff up.

So far my tactics have worked. In most games during the first turn my opponents move into better shooting range, and I take very few hits. On my turn however I am killing squads or vehicles that could threaten me. Actually I only lost a Riptide in the game I lost because I underestimated the speed of orks and he got me in close combat. Most of the games I have played have been Big Guns (3), Purge the alien (1), the Scouring (2) and the Emperors will (2). So I have yet to play the Relic and Crusade. However, in both of those missions I can't see my tactic changing much.

After the games we always talk about what worked and didn't for both armies, and my friends have said they can't believe I run only 2 troops in this edition. They say troops win games, to this I reply scoring
units win games, when I explain my rational they see my point. Talking after a match is often the best part of the game because you get to share your tactics and thoughts on units that didn't work or worked really well. When I played my friend with the Nids, he explained to me the powers that augment the toughness on his monstrous creatures and recommended sniper weapons to help deal with it. So I will have to find a way to give my kroot sniper rounds to deal with high toughness. He asked me how to deal with support fire, and I said take the extra turn to make sure you can charge with multiple units so I have to choose what fires where. But then I said he was on his own about Longstrike, because if positioned well he will overwatch 3 times!

My favourite unit in the codex is by far the Riptide. With marker light support he is a killing machine and very tough to take down. I think every Tau army should field at least 1. Piranhas to me are the next best change in the codex. With their reduced point cost, the increase in fusion blaster range, and how drone controllers work these vehicles are also a must in my book. Their font armour makes them resist small arms fire, moving gives them a jink save, supporting fire from my commander squad makes them hard to charge, and if they draw my opponent's heavy weapons that means they are not shooting at my big stuff making them live longer.

Overall I really like the new codex, and being able to play 40k again and put up a decent fight is fun. Units I am looking forward to trying: Shadowsun with Crisis Bodyguards and Broadside team with High Yield Missile pods and support commander, but I have to build those new broadsides first.
Last edited by Shas'o Dre on Nov 10 2015 08:55, edited 7 times in total.

Shas'o Dre
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: New Codex=New Success (Now with Pictures)

Post#2 » Sep 19 2013 12:39

Been busy building and converting some reinforcements for my Cadre.

Finally had a chance to build my new Broadsides with HYMP:

Next on the list was building a pair of krootox. I am trying a carnivore squad with 10 sniper kroot, 1 hound and 1 krootox.
I used the forge world knarloc riders as the basis for the krootox, and really had fun converting these guys.

Image Image

I've also been bulking up my fire warriors and pathfinder squads. I recently ordered the Kadesh Female heads torsos
from Zealot Minitures so I could add a female or two to each squad. I have made five so far and have another few to go.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Next step priming and base coating. Will try to keep this thread updated as I build more units. I have a couple of devilfish transports to take pictures of, and will post those soon.

Lyi'ot
Por'O
Por'O

Re: New Codex=New Success

Post#3 » Sep 19 2013 12:46

I absolutely love everything about this post. That knarloc rider to krootox conversion is excellent! Do you have a sense of how much bigger it is than a normal krootox?

Also, bossfearless has always said that the Zealot pieces end up looking pretty normal (i.e. a little less busty) once rest of the model is assembled -- and I have to agree! I also like the left-handed sniper -- excellent touch! And nice use of the Farsight Enclave shoulder pads; I've purchased some myself and can't wait to use them!

CoffeeGrunt
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Sep 19 2013 01:14

Wow this thread has really been neglected. Some excellent conversions, too, hopefully you've done even more in the massive gulf of time since the last update!

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#5 » Sep 19 2013 02:41

Interesting idea, the left handed sniper !

About Farsight enclave pauldrons, now that i've seen them closer, they don't feel as pretty as they were when painted. Details are too embossed.
Since Zealot heads looks quite interesting (oh, Forgeworld, why you don't have done some female tau head or alternative pauldrons...), I still think the torso "bumps" are a little too oversized, even for heroic-scale (feminine look on armor is quite well shown with the V shape of the abdomen plates)

I don't recognize the bits (with the rope and "radiator" thing) used in the lower back of the half-kneeled firewarrior, with rifle up, drone controller and bonding knife, showed from the back.
Where it came from ? (because it is very interesting...)

Shas'o Dre
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Sep 19 2013 03:41

@ Kael'yn: I think the bit came from the space marine scout bike box. I use a lot of bits from the marine scouts sets and landspeeder storm, so I can't remember exactly where it was from.

@ Lyi'ot: Thanks for the kind words, hopefully you'll like the rest of what I post.

Shas'o Dre
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Sep 19 2013 07:59

Here is a pick of part of my army that has been airbrushed red in preparation for a Farsight Enclave colour scheme.

And this is my paint station after the assembly line black wash. This was the first time I tried a batch paint job, mixed feelings about it. You can see the progress, but then there are so many more models to do. I much prefer the building and converting.

Nevar
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#8 » Sep 20 2013 12:24

Outstanding work. I particularly love the Krootox counts as, consider them stolen. =D

Keep it up, looking forward to seeing how this cadre shapes up.

~Nevar

Lyi'ot
Por'O
Por'O

Post#9 » Sep 20 2013 12:29

A very subtle touch that I just noticed: you did a great job spreading out the Forgeworld arms across multiple suits! I'm a really big fan of the "underslung-integrated" look -- nice to see it all over.

Shas'o Dre
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#10 » Sep 23 2013 11:53

As promised some pics of my devilfish, just airbrushed and awaiting painting. I also have to prime and ready the gun drones.

Shas'o Dre
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#11 » Sep 24 2013 06:13

It's been a good couple of days for me and Warhammer 40k. I have been building and converting like a man on a mission, been able to play 3 games over the weekend, and even post up some pics update to this post.

I have been trying out a new list at 1850 that includes more troops than I've ever run, and the high yield missilepod broadsides, along with a full stealth team. In the 3 games I played I had 2 wins and a draw. The wins were against Space Marines with Imperial Fist chapter trait, and an ork horde of doom. The draw came against necrons.

The missilesides made a huge impact in the 2 wins. With 6 missile drones and a target lock on one suit, this unit dished out so much fire power it was scary. The next unit to impress me was my new kroot unit. I took 2 squads of 10 kroot with sniper rounds, one kroot hound and one krootox. In all the games they were able to outflank where I needed them, and actually draw enemy fire away from the rest of my army. In the games with the necrons they got me the draw by getting me linebreaker.

The unit I was least impressed with was my Fire Warriors and Ethereal in devilfish. In all three games they did nothing. Not totally their fault as I kept them in reserve and they tended to come in on turn 4 in the games against the marines and necrons, and turn 3 against the orcs. In that game I sped them up the table pushing to his board and moving flat out each turn, but even with the 3 up jink save I failed and it got destroyed and the squad got shot up by lootas. I think for the next games I will try starting them on the table to see if I can get some output from them.

Things I want to try out next: Vespid and Pathfinders in warfish! Here are some pictures of my WIP on these units.

Now that vespid have a 4+ save I wanted to show that on the model. I used Fire warrior shoulder pads and the strain leader helmet and wings on all members to bulk them up. I also added knives and accessories to the models, but need to take a picture from the back.

I wanted a devilfish unique to the pathfinders so I came up with idea of having all the drones on the fish instead of in it with the pathfinders. Of course this would take up the drone slots so I choose to place the smart missile system elsewhere on the tank. Since the recon drone take the turret slot I opted for the standard nose burst cannon, but gave it the burst cannon from the remora model and added a sensor unit.

CoffeeGrunt
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#12 » Sep 24 2013 07:02

Liking your colour scheme on these!

One thing though. Why pay for improved weapons, (SMS,) when you say you were simply moving Flat Out everywhere to get to where you needed to be?

Shas'o Dre
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#13 » Sep 24 2013 08:27

CoffeeGrunt wrote: One thing though. Why pay for improved weapons, (SMS,) when you say you were simply moving Flat Out everywhere to get to where you needed to be?

The devilfish I used in the games was bare bones with only a disruption pod, the 'fish with the SMS is for the pathfinders, and I haven't played with it yet. It has the SMS because I've put the special drones where the gun drones would be. And I think the pathfinders would need some extra cover fire when the outflank! :crafty:

Shas'o Dre
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#14 » Sep 25 2013 08:31

Had some time to get some more model priming in and chose to do my krootox and female fire warriors and pathfinders. And since the knarloc riders from forge world come in a pack of three, I have to get to work on a third krootox conversion. I may even have to get another box of kroot warriors to build another squad of ten models for a third unit. :) I really enjoy converting the kroot and kit bashing them with fire warrior bitz. Maybe for the third squad I will use some farsight shoulder pads instead of the standard fire warrior ones.

Here are some pictures of my WIP on my kroot, and my newly primed krootox models.

With the success of the two kroot units in recent games I had to move them up the painting list. Since I am painting a Farsight Enclave Army, I want to keep the kroot armor red, but I am at a loss for what color to paint the kroot themselves. Originally I was thinking of a clan of albino kroot, but I don't think that would look good on the large krootox model I am using. Any suggestions or ideas would be welcome.

yankeedave
Shas

Post#15 » Sep 26 2013 03:27

I have mine painted green with clothing and highlights reflecting my cadre's colour scheme. I am a great fan of matching paint schemes and yours is lookig excellent so far.
Time that you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted.

Badger
Shas

Post#16 » Oct 01 2013 05:28

Re: SMS on Devilfish: I was initially torn on this, the upgrade cost is relatively low and the SMS is such a lovely pievc of kit that I was leaning towards taking it. After playing a few games however I realised that I just wasn't shooting it enough to make it worthwhile. My Devilfish are usually moving flat out to maximise the Disruption Pod cover save and when they aren't they're dropping off Fire Warriors to gun something down. At which point the two gun drones seem to be much more useful as they can dismount in front of the vehicle to block and be generally irritating!

I really like the Kroot gun conversions you've put together there, is that 3 rifles strapped together I see?

My Tau are painting green/ brown as I wanted the Kroot to stand out a little so I want for an orange/ brown scheme to contrast. It definitely makes them look quite distinctive (and alien!) on the tabletop!

My Kroot colour scheme pre highlights (apologies for the less than brilliant photo)

Shas'o Dre
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#17 » Oct 01 2013 06:41

Badger wrote:
I really like the Kroot gun conversions you've put together there, is that 3 rifles strapped together I see?

Good eye Badger, three regular kroot rifles with various ammo box bitz added.

Your kroot model is painted really well, wish I had that kind of skill. Since my armor color is red I think I will use a muddy green for their skin.

Lyi'ot
Por'O
Por'O

Post#18 » Oct 01 2013 10:35

I want to reiterate how amazing this WIP thread is. It's very inspirational! I also wanted to say that I've promoted this thread to the Project Logs subforum, where it rightly deserves to belong.

Return to “Project Logs”