Dubstep Tau by Boss Fearless (Sonic Hammerhead Finished!)

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
bossfearless

Re: Boss Fearless's Experimental Cadre (Update: Female Tau)

Post#73 » Sep 18 2013 02:25

I'm sorry, Kael'yn, did you miss the part where I won the argument forever and ever?

Also, mmmmmmm....sweet, heretical Liara. And let's not forget those Twi'leks. Taste the rainbow!

Lyi'ot
Por'O
Por'O

Post#74 » Sep 18 2013 02:30

On the topic of Zealot's rather... voluptuous... pieces, I have to say I'm a little, well, put off. The breasts are just so large that I have no real interest in purchasing them. I mean, I understand why someone might want to purchase bitz like that, but at the end of the day I'll probably just stick to converting daemonette heads into female Fire Warrior heads, and keeping the chest pieces the same. There are several upside to this: the final product looks like the only female Tau head we have (Shadowsuns); it's not that expensive; I can imagine that more of my warriors are female, with their features obscured by helmets and armor. And as Kael'yn points out, the aforementioned Xenology didn't have much sexual dimorphism between tau genders, anyways. (But again, to each their own.)

Also: bossfearless, in that picture of the kneeling Pathfinder, the right forearm (left in the picture) looks a little rough. I know you positively reviewed these pieces -- how much sanding and work did it take to prepare them?

bossfearless

Post#75 » Sep 18 2013 02:59

That picture is actually posted without any significant prep done to it, specifically so that people could get a good idea of the actual quality of the bits. The fact that it looks "a bit rough" speaks to the quality of the bit's production. As far as the size of the breasts, I was put off initially at first. Trust me, once the shoulder plates are on and all the rest of the model's arts are attached, they seem to balance out a bit.

Nevar
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#76 » Sep 18 2013 03:11

I always vote YES to boobs.

Personally I was planning on getting some and filing the chest down a bit into a more geometric shape to fit the aesthetic a bit more and give them more average sized fronts. Slightly altered chest plates seems more reasonable than form fitted breast plates... litarally.

~Nevar

Lyi'ot
Por'O
Por'O

Post#77 » Sep 18 2013 04:37

Guys, while I totally understand that this is a discussion of sexy space ladies in a science fiction universe, for the love of the Aun, keep the conversation classy. Your Friendly Neighborhood Por has already diverted one Fire Warrior patrol away from this thread, but Manta airstrikes are in the queue, if you catch my drift. It's pretty clear that Boss Fearless is walking the line between "here's an update" and "here's some humor," but a few of the responses have been on the... unsubstantial side.

Post with honor, follow the Primers, don't lead each other into the Mont'au, be non-deviant members of the Empire, etc. etc.

bossfearless

Post#78 » Sep 18 2013 06:42

Mod says he wants substance. Might as well give him some substance ;)

XV117 Abyss reporting in. Cockpit assembly is built, and I'll get some closeups of t when the pilot is all the way finished as well. Filled in a lot of gaps and felt that it was finally ready for a good WIP shot. The torso is still separate from the legs, which means it currently pivots freely. Tonight I also experimented a bit with these Bandai clear resin weapon effects. I was disappointed by a couple pieces, but then I chopped them down and one worked pretty well:

Who else is getting inappropriate urges towards that Ion Ripper? I know it's sure making me feel all tingly inside. In case you're wondering, the pilot is neither a Daemonette not a Zealot torso, but a Basicks Amazon torso with the scale armor filed away. She's going to be more elaborate as she evolves, I promise.

So that was my stopping point for the night, and I filled more gaps and put more details onto the Fire Warriors I'm painting. I was ready to go to bed, and then this happened:

Is there anything in life that isn't better with shoulder mounted railguns?

Lyi'ot
Por'O
Por'O

Post#79 » Sep 18 2013 07:44

It's incredibly odd to see a Riptide look like a scale model of a Warhound titan! Only the female mounted on the top breaks up that profile. Personally, I find the rail cannons to be a bit much, but that might be the point.

Also, if anyone is interested, the Basicks Amazon Torsos that Boss Fearless mentioned can be found here.

MODELGLUE Eio'Y
Kor'El
Kor'El

Post#80 » Sep 18 2013 07:54

bossfearless wrote:@Orange: You leave that filthy Canada-heresy outside, mister!

Careful now BFL... :P You don't want to go insulting Canadians no matter what you heard about our mild dispositions. :)

Back to your build, I really like it. I agree with Lyi'ot about having the model perched up top like that, but it's yours so you do what you think is cool. I like the rail guns, on top and I think it visually balances the model. It is the key to why I changed my mind about it.

I would like to add to "the mods" earlier request that everyone keep it clean, classy, and civil. I would hate to see all this interest you've generated end up in a locked thread. Please consider that it isn't just 18+ people perusing the site. We have a younger audience here and we also tend to cater to members who are looking for advanced discussions. Side tracking to discussions on evolution and less noble subjects is skirting unacceptable.

With that being said, please carry on.

modelglue

TheMeanDM
Shas

Post#81 » Sep 18 2013 08:15

modelglue wrote:
bossfearless wrote: Side tracking to discussions on evolution and less noble subjects is skirting unacceptable.

modelglue

Doth I detect a measure of creationist peeking through? :eek: lol :P

Great builds, boss. Definitely loving the look of the Abyss. And regardless of how OTT it is, the shoulder mounted railguns are outstanding.
I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends.

bossfearless

Post#82 » Sep 18 2013 11:44

Oh noes! The mods! *queues theme song to Cops and tries to act nonchalant*

Still not 100% sure about the rail guns. I went to the trouble of flipping one around but I don't know if I'm in love with them. The model definitely benefits from shoulder mounted guns. Originally I was trying to find missiles that looked good when I spotted the leftover rails in my bits box. Anyone know if they've posted the options for the Ravarna yet? I might try to put the build in line with that. Probably not.

Argh. Debating a few design ideas about the Abyss. There's the shoulder guns, which I'm warming up to more and more, but then there's the cockpit up top. On the one hand, that was the very first mod I made to the kit and I really want to follow through with it. On the other hand, I came up with that before I actually decided to rework the entire structure into a freaky warhound titan mini-me. Though with the shoulder guns, I now think of it more like a Thor from Starcraft. *Arnold Voice* It veel heeeeah zee lamentations of zee Eldars. *End Arnold Voice*

So, the thing is that now a couple of people have talked about the pilot popping up out of the top as something that breaks up the aesthetic, and to a certain extent I agree with them. There is nothing logical about why she'd be popping up. The idea I'm working with is that she's up there to grandstand a bit and inspire the troops before a charge, something to that extent. Now for the first time I'm considering completely removing the whole cockpit and instead placing the Riptide's shield over where the head would normally go. It puts the build perfectly into the Warhound aesthetic. Only problem is, I can't pop the cockpit off to get a real test fit without completely destroying it. It's on too securely and already falling apart slightly from me fiddling with it before.

On top of all that, I have no clue what to do to the head. It needs more, some kind of embellishment. Playing with the idea of "ears" made from sensor vanes, "eyes" made from the cyclops-style broadside heads, maybe a big "horn" where that circular part is on the top of the head. Definitely need a little more mechanical detail on the jaw, hinges at the very least. And of course, my bro out here keeps insisting that it needs a pair of giant chrome truck-nutz. Probably make those out of some flails from a Menoth warjack if I go that route. But then, he suggests truck-nutz for every build I ever do, and they always have to be bigger or spikier or whatever if I do include them. I'll have to figure out how I'm doing the base, and whether I have enough pieces of space marine armor to make a fallen standard bearer.

Okay. That's out of the way. Now I'm stuck figuring out how the heck I'm supposed to do the Hammerhead. I've looked all over and there just aren't that many good mods of the Hammerhead kit that I could realistically pull off. There's the famously expensive Tau Metal Gear, which I don't think I could really pull off. Then there's like nine different versions of the same basic idea where you flip the engines around and add the skyray wings. So...it might just come to that. I might just end up making something not too dissimilar from other people's work, aside from the LEDs and the sound system. I did see one interesting build that added a lot of extra engines onto the thing, and I suppose that's a neat way to go. If I go the open cockpit route, I have to come up with a specific design for the pilot. I was idly considering Cultist Chan for the role, though how she got into a Hammerhead is a mystery. Maybe someone told her there were waffles inside.

Merged your posts - MG

TheAmbit
Fio'El
Fio'El

Re: Boss Fearless's Experimental Cadre (Update: XV117 Abyss)

Post#83 » Sep 19 2013 10:48

Oh noes! The mods! *queues theme song to Cops and tries to act nonchalant*

You would do well to respect the authority of the moderation team and not take their suggestions lightly. The best subject matter in the world will not save you if you cannot follow the rules here. Walking on the blade's edge of our primers is not the way to go.

Please accord them with the respect they deserve. I'd hate for your to become the focus of the team's ire, since you're sharing some nice work.

Bitterman
Shas

Post#84 » Sep 19 2013 03:02

(Never mind).

Bear
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#85 » Sep 20 2013 02:05

bossfearless wrote:Now I'm stuck figuring out how the heck I'm supposed to do the Hammerhead. I've looked all over and there just aren't that many good mods of the Hammerhead kit that I could realistically pull off.

The guy who made this thread is a really good painter and modeler and his hammerhead is one of my favorite models of all time.

bossfearless

Re: Boss Fearless's Experimental Cadre Image Dump Page 5

Post#86 » Mar 06 2014 08:51

Where have I been all this time? DakkaDakka, where not one single post has ever been flagged, tagged or bagged. As such, that forum has become my primary outlet for tau builds and paint jobs. However, despite my distaste for some of ATT's site policies, I feel that my original conversions will enrich the tau community enough to warrant some self-censorship on my part as I post my results here.

Without further ado, OP delivers:

Bear wrote:
bossfearless wrote:Now I'm stuck figuring out how the heck I'm supposed to do the Hammerhead. I've looked all over and there just aren't that many good mods of the Hammerhead kit that I could realistically pull off.

The guy who made this thread is a really good painter and modeler and his hammerhead is one of my favorite models of all time.

Nope. Not feeling it. Here's a WIP to show the proper way to pimp a hammerhead:

There are speakers embedded in the model and it plays dubstep music when the guns fire. There are also flickering LEDs in each of the engine pods, and a constant LED in the inner hull. Why am I posting this as a WIP? Well, because the finished version will have far too much female nudity, and I'm pretty sure someone will have problems with how intoxicated the pilots are. The mods didn't like my baby hippopotamus, after all. There is a Youtube video which I am not allowed to link directly to on this site, because the video showcases the working sound system using a pre-loaded DMX track with naughty words in it. If you want to see this with the lights flashing and the music playing (you know you do), search youtube for "sonic hammerhead" and my post should come up.

You might notice that there are no physical guns mounted on the model aside from some wing mounted missiles. That is because all the weapons are sonic. Instead of an Ion Cannon, it fires Modulated WubWubs and an Apocalyptic Bass Drop, which gets hot as all bass drops should.

Next up is Shas'Vre Chump, XV88 Ace:

Yes, he knows what it means in your language. No, he is not amused.

And I think you really, really want to see this. Shas'O Darkblade in XV9-A Archangel Battlesuit, counts-as Farsight:

There just aren't enough guns in the world to stop that.

This is an XV8-G Disorder Suit:

An XV8-W Support Suit, with Super Dangerous WubWub Sonar Cannon:

And a Time Lord auxiliary, the turret gunner of the Hammerhead:

The XV8-XL Riot Suit:

The scandalously named Shas'El Silvertongue in an XV30 Seraphim battlesuit:

An XV88 trooper:

Shas'Vre Shagnasty, Leader of the Desert Pimps and founder of the Order of the Plume

Desert Pimps, Fire Warriors

XV11 Diplomat Battlesuits, Fire Warriors

T'Goshai pattern Piranha inspired by Paulson Games, but with more ground effects:

XV117 Abyss, Shas'Vre Snowflake, Member of the Order of the Plume, Counts-As Riptide/Rvarna

And the XV900-R Leviathan, Colony Assault Walker with color changing LEDs:
Last edited by bossfearless on Mar 06 2014 11:25, edited 1 time in total.

Unusualsuspect
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#87 » Mar 06 2014 10:18

Hi, bossfearless. I, for one, appreciate your choice to enter this environment to share your conversions and build themes, and pulling both off with flair and a feather in your cap. That is an amazing array of personalized battlesuits.

I always love alternative explanations for weapon systems! I'm enjoying the thought of your army meeting an horde of Emperor's Children, as the LEDs flashing everywhere and pleasant WubWub lulls the chaos forces into a false sense of security until, suddenly... the bass drops.

Darkblade looks vicious. Are you using him as a Farsight stand-in, or creating custom rules for him, or both?

I like the merged jet packs look.

Super Dangerous WubWub Sonar Cannon looks super dangerous. I love that conversion.

Allons-y!

The riot suit is an interesting conversion. I like the chestpiece a lot.

...When did Tau get Harlequins? I like it.

Shas'vre Shagnasty looks like a ton of fun and has a lot of character.

Where are the cloaks from the Desert Pimps, Fire Warrior squad?

The conversion work and fire effects on the XV117, Shas'vre Snowflake... is beautiful. Delightful.

And a Tau Titan. Cherry on top, in my opinion.

Also, I'm totally going to be following your threads on dakkadakka to see the finished products on your WIPs! ;)

CoffeeGrunt
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#88 » Mar 07 2014 03:36

It's been a long time since the last update, glad to see you've been using the time well!

I personally love your Desert Pimps Shas'vre, very cool conversion with a lot of character!

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#89 » Mar 07 2014 04:01

Superb work and complimenting painting to suit. The re-imagined Riptide torso is a smart conversion; admire the finish.

Thanks for posting the images, insane amount of LED work - no doubt batteries in the bases?

- Tael.

abraxus
Shas

Post#90 » Mar 07 2014 06:31

I was just sitting at my desk rummaging through my bits box last night and had come across a pair of dreadknight feet. I sat there for 5 minutes or so thinking "I wonder how these would look on a riptide?".

Now I know, they would look awesome!

I love the sheer amount of character you've given your force, well done!

Return to “Project Logs”