A couple of space wolf question

A Forum to discuss models of the Tau's Enemies, including Alternate Wargame Systems.
Agent00abe
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

A couple of space wolf question

Post#1 » Jul 01 2015 07:58

Since I am only invested in Tau and don't frequent other GW related webpages aside this one my knowledge on a lot of other armies is quite limited to my battles fought against them.
I read the Space Wolf novels when I was 14 and I've loved the Space Wolf lore ever since.
I've considered on several occasions to start up a Space Wolf army :D
Now that I found a store owner who'd happily let me trade in my Orcs and Goblins fantasy army for some of his products I think I'd like to actually start that army.
However my knowledge of the wolves are as stated limited.
So.
Is the battle force worth it?
How old is the Codex?
Is a new one on the horizon?
Is a drop pod Wolf army viable?
What units are a good investment?
And, what units should be avoided?

I know you will deliver ATT so thank you all :)
Does this Railgun make me look fat?

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Re: A couple of space wolf question

Post#2 » Jul 02 2015 03:08

I was in the same situation the last year.

Have you fought against Marines or better, Wolves, in your games ? It's a good way to check how the different units works.
I recommend this blog : http://space-wolves-grey.blogspot.com/
There are several inputs, from the previous dex and the current, that are useful.
You can read too the 1d4chan tactics article, some infos are useful : http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000/Tactics/Space_Wolves%287E%29

They are 2 main way to build efficient armies:
- Thunderwolves and bikes (I love the wolfy theme so I built my army around this: 8 TWC and 16 wolve, termies in drop pods or flyers and static longfangs)
- Drop pods + MSU with Melta (I recommend 3rd pary melta bitz, like kromlech magma rifles because no melta com in the wolves kits, oh, and check their Sons of Thor bits too)
The codex expansion has a very good value if you plan to use wolfguards or thunderwolves too.

Useless units ?
-None is totally useless, but Blood claws and their kin on bikes and jetpack are less interesting, unless you stuff a full load of them in the wolf flyer and drop them in CC.
- Predators, ... all the battle tanks are beaten for firepower by the Longfangs, eventually on rides (razorbacks mostly)
- Wolves are too weak to be a good addition, but they are cheap and fast so they can hunt other weak units.
- Assault Termies without drop pods, land raiders or stormwolf.

As for your other questions:
The battleforce is the "Warriors of the fang" ? then aside the assault unit, usually seen lesser useful in SW armies, you have enough infantry to start a basic army of Grey Hunter/BloodClaws/Wolfguard. You get too a start of Longfangs support. And you get a drop pod if you plan to run your army this way.
No new dex is coming until at least the next year (no rumours). The last is from 2014 IIRC.

A Wolves army can be a good ally for Tau to pack some counterassault units or backfield 1st turn theat on drop pods to let your Tau move forward.

Agent00abe
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Jul 02 2015 07:07

I haven't had the fortune of playing against wolves my self, people in my community seem to be fond of Dark Angels, Blood Angels and Inquisitors.
I'm sad to hear that the predators gets out performed by the longfangs, I'm a tank kind of guy :p
But I'm quite fond of the idea of drop pods, so I guess that's a plus :)
I tried a game several years back with 500pts of wolves vs, something else :P
I found that I'd rather want blood claws than grey hunters for their CC abilities and a power sword pistol combo instead of a bolter.
Was I totally wrong on that?
Does this Railgun make me look fat?

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#4 » Jul 02 2015 08:30

It's not that predators are useless, but longfangs can hide in terrain, can be kitted with krak&frag missiles and lascanon and are able to split fire, so they are the bread and butter of SW ground support (and SW are not the most tanky army in the fluff, as they prefer to feel the wind on their cheeks...)

Grey hunter behave mostly like enhanced blood claws (both can have one guy taking a power sword)
Difference is that BC are BS/WS3 but +1 A with their pistol+chainsword, rage, are cheaper and can come in higher squad size.
Good for massive assault, but beaten by GH in every other ways (and they can get too +1A by buying a CCW to add to their boltgun and pistol for the same points than FW get EMP).

Return to “Enemy Units & Alternate Systems”