KX-139 Ta'unar Supremacy Armour discussion

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
SinisterSamurai
Kor'La
Kor'La

KX-139 Ta'unar Supremacy Armour discussion

Post#1 » Sep 10 2015 02:46

I got a closer look at some of FW's newer instruction booklets. Here's the fluffy details. This is not a review of the model, as I don't have one, yet.
KX139 Ta'unar Supremacy Armour
The first in a series of new Tau war machines designed to operate in the most testing environments and survive on the most deadly battlefields, the KX139 Ta'unar, named for a Tau hero of ancient myth, matches an Imperial Knight in firepower and durability. Deploying the Tau Battlesuit technology on the unprecedented scale required to these new 'Supremacy Armour' units is an unmatched achievement of the Ke'lshan Sept which has quickly borne fruit across the Tau Empire.

Yes, all of that is just two sentences. Wiki enthusiasts will note that Battlesuit is proper noun, and can now go make a stub entry regarding a Tau mythical hero. No explanation for a "change" in doctrine.

In the components list is a very small part labeled "Reactor," and of note is the x4 stabilizer jets. There are two head options.

KX139 Ta'unar Supremacy Armour Pulse Ordinance Multi-driver
A recent development of Tau pulse technology, this triple-barreled weapons battery uses powerful induction fields to propel a variety of heavy munitions with great force and precision. Fired in rapid volleys, this mix of high explosive and kinetic projectiles can either be used to fire concentrated bombardments to saturate a single target or in arcing trajectories to shower a wider area to equally devastating effect.

Two sentences, again. Seems like the weapon will have at least two firing profiles. If you're facing a real stickler about modeling, note that the canons pointed horizontally are direct fire, while "Pointed up" is indirect fire.

Only a few parts here. x3 Pulse Drivers, x3 Power Supplies, a three-part "cradle," and 12 Pulse Capacitors donglebobbers. There's no indication anywhere that the panels on top of the weapon do anything. I can't find any indication that they are covering missiles, or open for cooling, or whatever.

The FW instructions themselves seem to be pretty good, so far. I've only got some older black and grey GW instruction sheets to compare to, but these seem reasonably detailed. These are color-coded, highlighting what parts get cut away, what parts or poses are optional, and even which surfaces to apply glue to.

Edit:
Website descriptions:
FW Bulletin:THROUGH SUPREMACY, VICTORY!
As the Tau Empire expanded they encountered deadly creatures of unimaginable size and war machines that could eradicate whole armies. To counter these threats and defend their newly claimed worlds, new technologies and tactics were devised.

One of the most potent results of this development was the KX139 Ta’unar Supremacy Armour. Taller than the crude Knights of the human Imperium, and carrying weapons of supreme devastation, the Supremacy Armour battlesuit will dominate any battlefield.

KX139 TA'UNAR SUPREMACY ARMOUR: Tau Supremacy armour is larger than any other current class of battlesuit. It is intended to meet a threat that the Tau Empire has not yet prepared for; the defence of worlds within their growing domain from the counter-expansion forces of other races. Lacking the manoeuvrability of other battlesuits, the KX139 Ta’unar Supremacy Armour was designed for static defence, carrying massively destructive, long range weapons.

Encountering increasing numbers of enemy heavy assault elements, from Imperial Knights to the towering alien monstrosities of the Tyranid Hive Fleets, Tau heavy flyers were often outclassed. Earth Caste engineer Fio’o Ke’lshan Sho’aun developed the KX139 to mount a dynamic yet stoic defence against such foes.

Armed with a pair of Tri-axis Ion Cannon and a Pulse Ordnance Multi-driver, this KX139 Ta’unar Supremacy Armour Battlesuit is ready to engage enemies at range and dominate the battlefield.

As the Tau Empire expanded they encountered deadly creatures of unimaginable size and war machines that could eradicate whole armies. To counter these threats and defend their newly claimed worlds, new technologies and tactics were devised.

KX139 TA'UNAR SUPREMACY ARMOUR BODY: This description shares a paragraph and a half with the Tau Supremacy Armour website description, but with a little bit of different info.
...Earth Caste engineer Fio’o Ke’lshan Sho’aun developed the KX139 to mount a dynamic yet stoic defence against such foes, engaging them at range and dominating the battlefield.

Whilst its main weapons take on enemies at extreme long range, the Supremacy armour’s Vigilance Defence System incorporates smart missile launchers and twin-linked burst cannon that can deal with foes at close quarters, including infantry brave or mad enough to charge at the towering battlesuit. The KX1039’s Barrier Shield Generator provides it with enhanced protection, even from the devastating weapons mounted on Imperial Titans.

KX139 TA'UNAR SUPREMACY ARMOUR TRI-AXIS ION CANNON: A rapid-firing, multi-chambered particle weapon whose firepower is unmatched for its size in the Tau arsenal, the Tri-axis Ion Cannon is designed to reap through enemy formations. It can adjust its power levels and rate of fire to deal with light vehicles or heavy armour with precisely controlled lethality.

KX139 TA'UNAR SUPREMACY ARMOUR FUSION ERADICATOR: Designed as a radical solution to the limitations of current Tau fusion weapons technology, the Fusion Eradicator combines a battery of multiple synchronised firing chambers. The weapon creates a blast of energy so potent that solid matter caught in its path is torn apart at a molecular level by brute thermal force, and no physical material yet known to the Tau can survive its destructive power.

The cost in materials and expertise to create a single Fusion Eradicator is immense, and the natural endurance of each weapon is limited often to a single battle. Each Fusion Eradicator is then discarded and must be replaced.

It's interesting to note that the full kit and the body's website entries do NOT share the description with what I've seen of the manuals, but the Pulse Ordinance Multi-Driver does.

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwqZ4IDrvYQ

/Edit
Last edited by SinisterSamurai on Oct 09 2015 10:50, edited 3 times in total.

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: KX-139 Ta'unar Supremacy Armour discussion

Post#2 » Sep 10 2015 10:15

SinisterSamurai wrote:[i]The first in a series of new Tau war machines

SinisterSamurai wrote:matches an Imperial Knight in firepower and durability.

Uh... that's not what we were expecting. The ranged weaponry is much more powerful than IKs, and this will be way pricier than them (I think). It's more Warhound-level.

SinisterSamurai
Kor'La
Kor'La

Post#3 » Sep 10 2015 11:16

Vector Strike wrote:
SinisterSamurai wrote:[i]The first in a series of new Tau war machines

SinisterSamurai wrote:matches an Imperial Knight in firepower and durability.

Uh... that's not what we were expecting. The ranged weaponry is much more powerful than IKs, and this will be way pricier than them (I think). It's more Warhound-level.

Welcome to Shrug City, P. That's what the instruction fluff says. It'll probably be the item description on the website, too. Maybe they mean one of the larger knights?
Image I'm not real familiar with Knight/Titan play. What is that knight on the right side of the frame? He's about the same size.

Locke
Shas

Post#4 » Sep 11 2015 12:19

It's a forgeworld knight, which while looking very cool, are arguably worse than standard knights (cost more points for not worth it benefits)

Gamgee
Shas

Post#5 » Sep 11 2015 01:13

Curious it looks so much larger than them. Ah well we'll have to wait until Oct. for the rules. It would seem weird if it was only an IK level of power. It's really big.
Great Strength, Great Strike ~ Shas'o Or'es'ka

Zaeley
Shas

Post#6 » Sep 11 2015 06:31

My only issue with the Battle suit, in the above picture, is that it is a rather tall pose. It looks as if it was assembled to be as tall as possible and in my opinion, looks a little unnatural. I'd much prefer to see a less static one next to some miniatures to get a better representation of size. I'd say shave almost an inch maybe half from it's height.

XV566
Shas

Post#7 » Sep 11 2015 07:11

Hmm... a series you say? I wonder if that's just fluff or will actually happen.

Also, I agree. It looks much more impressive than an knight. I'd guess somewhere between a war hound and a knight from the look of it. It's important to note that that model is standing upright, as someone said above, and also that the top few inches is nothing but guns.

Also - do we even have any word on if it's a superheavy walker, gargantuan creature, etc? I can't tell from any picture, but this one one below that I found serves two functions. It almost shows what might be jet backs (but that's dubious. It seems absurd that those little bits coming off the back are anywhere near big enough to thrust something that large), and also shows just how much of the model is guns (implying that it might be more of a stationary model, or at least one that won't have jet packs). This is also the best pose I've seen, really showing the suit bracing for the recoil of those massive top cannons.

MODELGLUE Eio'Y
Kor'El
Kor'El

Post#8 » Sep 11 2015 07:19

XV566 wrote:Hmm... a series you say? I wonder if that's just fluff or will actually happen.

There have been instructions posted in another thread which showed different weapons configurations. This comment you read may indicate that fact at least.
XV566 wrote: It almost shows what might be jet backs (but that's dubious. It seems absurd that those little bits coming off the back are anywhere near big enough to thrust something that large)

In the OP, they are mentioned:
SinisterSamurai wrote:In the components list is a very small part labeled "Reactor," and of note is the x4 stabilizer jets. There are two head options.

Not sure if that was verbatim, or just an observation.

SinisterSamurai wrote:What is that knight on the right side of the frame? He's about the same size.

A Forgeworld Knight Castigator Cerastus.

Zaeley wrote:My only issue with the Battle suit, in the above picture, is that it is a rather tall pose. It looks as if it was assembled to be as tall as possible and in my opinion, looks a little unnatural. I'd much prefer to see a less static one next to some miniatures to get a better representation of size. I'd say shave almost an inch maybe half from it's height.

Good point. I hadn't noticed that until you pointed it out. :)

Bitterman
Shas

Post#9 » Sep 11 2015 11:21

XV566 wrote:Also - do we even have any word on if it's a superheavy walker, gargantuan creature, etc?

When I spoke to Will Hayes at the Open Day a few months ago, he said that the rules had not been written yet - though as model maker, they wouldn't be written by him anyway. An online rumour at the same time claimed it would be a gargantuan creature (and gave loads of other details), but based on what Will said, I'm fairly sure that it was made up. We don't know for certain what the rules will be yet, but I'll eat my own face if it's not a super-heavy walker.

It almost shows what might be jet backs (but that's dubious. It seems absurd that those little bits coming off the back are anywhere near big enough to thrust something that large), and also shows just how much of the model is guns (implying that it might be more of a stationary model, or at least one that won't have jet packs). This is also the best pose I've seen, really showing the suit bracing for the recoil of those massive top cannons.

Again - not rules, but based on what Will said, the thrusters on the back are intended to help compensate for recoil when the guns fire (as with the pose you mention), and will not act as jet packs.

Lord Mayhem
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#10 » Sep 11 2015 02:15

Bitterman wrote:When I spoke to Will Hayes at the Open Day a few months ago, he said that the rules had not been written yet - though as model maker, they wouldn't be written by him anyway. An online rumour at the same time claimed it would be a gargantuan creature (and gave loads of other details), but based on what Will said, I'm fairly sure that it was made up. We don't know for certain what the rules will be yet, but I'll eat my own face if it's not a super-heavy

Two thoughts; What is the largest (current) Gargantuan creature. We've now seen the suit with various Titan/Knight suits for scale...can anyone do a comparison with an array of Gargantuans? I recognize that a SH Walker makes sense, based on the relative sizes shown, but I'm curious how it would scale against GC models.
If you do end up having to eat your own face, can we get it on Pay per View? :)

SinisterSamurai
Kor'La
Kor'La

Post#11 » Sep 11 2015 03:58

modelglue wrote:
XV566 wrote: It almost shows what might be jet backs (but that's dubious. It seems absurd that those little bits coming off the back are anywhere near big enough to thrust something that large)

In the OP, they are mentioned:
SinisterSamurai wrote:In the components list is a very small part labeled "Reactor," and of note is the x4 stabilizer jets. There are two head options.

Not sure if that was verbatim, or just an observation.
Almost verbatim, now that I'm double checking it. The parts list actually reads: Stabiliser Jets x4.
The parts list is as follows:
[spoiler=]1-4, Torso front/back/left/right.
5-6, Intake left/right
7-8, Head 1-2 (Your choice)
9 Sensor (the circular bit in the right "breast" of the torso)
10 Reactor (small part, goes into the back of the torso)
11 Support Weapon Connecting Pin x2
12 Smart Missile System x2
13-15 Burst Cannon Turret/Left/Right (x2 each)
16 Burst Cannon Front x4
17 Waist
18 Hips
19 Groin Plate
20-31 are all leg and foot parts, and there's 20 parts for them all together. lower left/right leg, upper left/right leg, knee x2, ankle joint x2 outer toe pivot x2, knee joint x2, foot socket x2, front/inner/outer toe (x2 each).
32, Stabiliser Jets x4.[/spoiler]

True, the size comparison shown above is with the legs standing straight, and the instructions seem to explicitly advice against that. They've got a little box that describes the range of motion for the legs, and standing seems to be approx 90 degree bend at the knee. So it should be shorter than we are seeing.
Before you ask, these are not my pictures. But, you can see some of the color coding on it, which is real nice compared to my B&W Pathfinder/Piranha instructions.
Last edited by SinisterSamurai on Sep 11 2015 05:06, edited 1 time in total.

MODELGLUE Eio'Y
Kor'El
Kor'El

Post#12 » Sep 11 2015 04:20

Most excellent. :)

Good job sharing that, and the info you posted will no doubt fuel the purchase of a few '139s. The new style of instructions are a welcome addition to what are very expensive models. It is about time.

Emagdnim
Shas

Post#13 » Sep 12 2015 08:32

Really hope it isn't knight level...with a £300 price tag and no other faction/Big units to fall on back on it would be quite harsh I think. Knights are very easy to kill for most armies. I was assuming it would be Wahound/Revenant/Stompa/etc type of durability.
" Blasphemy is a victimless crime"

Lotus
Shas

Post#14 » Sep 12 2015 06:51

I'm a little surprised I've not seen this mentioned so far (possibly because of the closure of the former thread), but an additional weapon option for the KX-139 has been leaked during the Amsterdam event. It looks like a very high rate of fire weapon and is mounted on the arms instead of the Ion based weapons we have seen.
An image is available here from the faeit blog: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-v9hq_QO2WUg/V ... mage4.jpeg

Deepstrike
Shas

Post#15 » Sep 12 2015 08:24

Lotus wrote:I'm a little surprised I've not seen this mentioned so far (possibly because of the closure of the former thread), but an additional weapon option for the KX-139 has been leaked during the Amsterdam event. It looks like a very high rate of fire weapon and is mounted on the arms instead of the Ion based weapons we have seen.
An image is available here from the faeit blog: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-v9hq_QO2WUg/V ... mage4.jpeg

There was another thread that was locked down that has the fusion arms, trust me my friend.... We're all aware of it!!! ;)

That being said, I haven't seen that picture of it and appreciate the link. Cheers!

SinisterSamurai
Kor'La
Kor'La

Post#16 » Sep 12 2015 10:51

Lotus wrote:I'm a little surprised I've not seen this mentioned so far (possibly because of the closure of the former thread), but an additional weapon option for the KX-139 has been leaked during the Amsterdam event. It looks like a very high rate of fire weapon and is mounted on the arms instead of the Ion based weapons we have seen.

Yep. It looks like the fusion cascade weapons from the Forge World Hazard suit line. Kinda hope the Fusion Cascades get a Fusion blade option, and that the KX139 has a ridiculous five swords on it. I would laugh. I would just laugh.

Emagdnim
Shas

Post#17 » Sep 14 2015 05:06

I've never got on with Ion.always seems too few shots or gets hot fail. Deffo going fusion, I need it to take out gargantuan and SH vehicles
" Blasphemy is a victimless crime"

SinisterSamurai
Kor'La
Kor'La

Post#18 » Sep 16 2015 02:03

https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... 9705_o.jpg
Can't seem to verify this on FW, but here's something I spotted on facebook.

Edit: Removed image tag. Relevant data:
Ta'unar Supremacy Armour: £250
Ta'unar Supremacy Armour body: £130
Ta'unar Supremacy Armour Pulse Ordinance Multi-Driver: £60
Ta'unar Supremacy Armour: Tri-Axis Cannon: £30
Last edited by SinisterSamurai on Sep 16 2015 03:50, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion”